Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

I searched Damar Hamlin and a Twitter post came up in the news feed. From November 20th about how he went back for a second pregame gig from his mom :cry:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

SVP is doing an amazing job right now

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Eifert Posting posted:

He lost his dad to a sudden medical emergency right before the season started.

gently caress :smith:

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Fans are going over to the hospital? wtf

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Oh thank God

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

This SVP/Clark convo is REAL

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Preach Clark!

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Kilometers Davis posted:

That was really good poo poo

I'm still in awe of Clark calling out the NFL needs to get [counselors] out to the teams before they can even THINK of resuming this game

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Ryan Clark is fascinating right now

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Winkie01 posted:

Anyone remember the last commercial? This has just been 2 guys talking for a long time and its odd as hell to me.

They burned through all the MNF ads during the delay. So yeah it's just been SVP radio

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Wiltsghost posted:

why are they bringing this chode on

To carry the NFL's water, what else?

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

E Depois do Adeus posted:

NFL players have chest protectors, right? How long does it take to access a player's chest to do CPR/ apply an AED or leads?

They tie/fasten together at the sternum. They can be cut easily to get to the chest

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

fartknocker posted:

Schefter just mentioned this on ESPN. It's over $900K now.

OVER $900K?!?!

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Proteus Jones posted:

Jesus, the shot of the bills players crying is gutting.

Definitely lost it at that as well

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Cthulu Carl posted:

I was watching on ESPN2 (flipped over when the Rose Bowl was a done deal and never switched back to ESPN), and they switched over to SVP and Ryan Clark like ESPN did. But at some point, someone decided to resume ESPN2's normal schedule and it suddenly switched to... The World Knife Throwing Championship.

Mentioning ESPN2 made me realize - can you imagine if there was a Manningcast last night?

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Lifespan posted:

No matter what happens, that GFM has turned in to a full endowment. Hopefully once things calm down, he and/or his family can start working with a non-profit lawyer and you will likely see the Damar Hamlin Foundation as a result. Only positive to come from this.

Isn't the Chasing M's Foundation the name of it? Or is that something different / not set up by Damar?

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

bows1 posted:

Is anything happening at Statefarm Stadium on the 19th? Doesn't seem to be anything on their website, but their website doesnt even mention the superbowl.

Didn't see anything at a quick glance. But holy poo poo it would be amazing to get the Super Bowl off the same weekend as the Phoenix Open. (Obviously not the point here - just saying.)

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

TheKevman posted:

Except for Skip, who immediately wondered these things, and just had to give the first take.

Live by the hot take, die by the hot take

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Ugh, I wasn't going to post about this but I have to talk about it because it's just swimming in my brain right now. One of my bandmates in high school died from an asthma attack during a field show. The conductor stopped us moments after he collapsed and didn't get back up. We thought he tripped at first but realized something was wrong because normally "the show must go on". We stood at attention for what felt like hours until the adults figured out what was really happening. We marched off the field after that and the entire event was cancelled. I was loving distraught even though I wasn't his best friend or anything and those were really close to him were even worse off. The school let anyone who was there or knew him to take a week off from school (as long as you were in the band room (probably to track the children)). The band director cancelled our next show, too. There were probably 200+ people coming in and out of the band room every day to mourn and pay respects. It also hailed on his birthday, which was the Friday after he passed. I'm from Los Angeles so hail never happens. I was never religious but on that day it felt like he was literally watching us from heaven. Nicest dude on the planet and one of the best drummers I'd ever seen. I know we were just kids at the time but this kind of thing is insane to witness and I don't think adults should be treated any differently in a traumatic situation like that. Cancel the drat game.

Take care, Hamlin. We're rooting for you.

I appreciate you sharing this story and sorry for your loss. Kinda cool though, with hail being percussive.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Saw a bunch of unread posts and was a bit worried. So glad it's good news!

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Came back to the thread and had forgotten the context for this post when it was quoted. See snippets of last words. "That's not so bad", I think.

Then I scrolled up and saw they all had audio file links :gonk: HELL NO

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

So glad to hear he's extubated and talking. That's unbelievable considering it was what, two days ago when people were asking "is flipping him over bad?"

Leperflesh posted:

You're the first person I've ever "met" who has it, although it sounds like yours is different. There's a "tilt table test" they (used to?) do but I get better lying down vs. standing up, not the opposite, so it's probably for finding your version vs. mine. Anyway one of the things you can do is clench your arms and legs, pull your fists in against your chest, just tighten up. Forces some blood back from the extremities to the core. It's stopped it once or twice for me. Another is just stay hydrated.

Really? I have it too but had to catch up on the thread. I can pass out if I get up too easily (happened more as a kid than now). That tilt-table thing is for real - the first time I gave blood it started happening. Thankfully I knew what was going on and was able to get a nurse's attention. He ran over and flipped the chair back so the blood rushed back to my head. Such a crazy feeling.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Dumb question here - how is his condition still considered critical when he's conscious and responsive at this point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

It's pretty amazing that one week ago Hamlan was still on a vent and now we're already talking about whether or not he plays again.