Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
Secondary, but man I feel bad for Tee Higgins too. It must be really heavy being involved in that play in any way. I hope he doesn't feel like it's his fault.

https://twitter.com/KelseyLConway/status/1610111737659019264?s=20&t=cSPqMsSyOrlhm8G3fSBqsw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Tom Tucker posted:

NFL wanted to get the game going again...? Wow.

It seems like it was a much more fluid situation than these tweets about the 5 minutes thing are making it sound. I think the normal severe injury policy calls for 5 minutes of warmup time, they ran with that, and in the meantime the coaches talked and decided to take the players to the locker room. It doesn't sound like the NFL was trying to force the players to get back out there and play.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Crescent Wrench posted:

Yeah, re: the 5-minute warm-up thing, with a little more time to think about it I am willing to give the refs the benefit of the doubt that they were themselves shaken up the situation and were just trying to stick to their jobs and go by the book. But it's still outrageous that there wasn't already a better contingency for this or that Goodell made everyone wait so long before he made the call.

I really don't want to give the impression that I'm going to the mat for the NFL but...I feel like the process of actually canceling a game like this is probably more complicated than Goodell just making a phone call? I just hope that they told the players right away that they were getting that process started and that they wouldn't have to play, that's really all that matters.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

One of his friends/a marketing rep (apparently):

https://twitter.com/jordonr/status/1610116502845558784?s=20&t=cSPqMsSyOrlhm8G3fSBqsw

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

I guess his vitals being stable is better than the alternative. No clue what it means beyond that.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Black Lighter posted:

I'm not an expert on this, but my mom died a few weeks ago after a cerebral hemorrhage and her vitals were ok but she couldn't breathe without a tube and was never going to again. So, until we get further word, news like this could be good or bad or neutral, I guess.

I'm very sorry for your loss. Thoughts with you and your family.

We lost my father in law earlier this year to a sudden brain infection and he was similar. His vitals were shockingly strong the entire time but in the end it didn't make a difference.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Seamonster posted:

Diggs is at the hospital

That ESPN shot of Diggs just walking by himself in sweatclothes through a hospital parking lot was weirdly impactful. Like the guy is a sports superstar and he just hopped in an Uber and got over there as fast as he could.

Professor Funk fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jan 3, 2023

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

No more updates tonight.

https://twitter.com/ColeyHarvey/status/1610129864765366278?s=20&t=sYa1agpP75YMzXGSRb-b-Q

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Think it’s anti vax horseshit

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Apples McGrind posted:

On the subject of suspending the game on the other hand, that's a different matter.

They suspended the game in an hour. I actually think they moved pretty quickly, all things considered. Do you guys think suspending a game is just a matter of Goodell pressing a big red button in his office or something?

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Spaced God posted:

I think they more mean the whole "5 Minutes to get back to football thing" which I'm still not a hundred percent sure is real or just Joe Buck trying to fill the dead air

I don't think there's any evidence that the NFL was saying "get back out and play." What it seems like is the officials fell back on the normal policy for serious on-field injuries (and I think some tweets posted in this thread confirmed that), and in the meantime the two coaches (admirably) spoke and decided they weren't going back out there. But I don't think there's anything to substantiate this narrative that the NFL office in New York was trying to force the teams to restart the game.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

That’s awesome news.

I feel like that Rap tweet is kind of weird, but I can’t quite put my finger on why. Maybe I’m just inclined to think that way about Rap tweets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

stump collector posted:

He should have cut the last ten or so words

Yeah I think that’s probably exactly it.