Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Sideline reporter very shaken up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

They should just play the game on line wednesday and flex both teams into an MNF double header or something. Either that or these two teams both effectively take a tie. You can't skip a week of football. or push back a playoff schedule.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

TheKevman posted:

You're probably right but the human in me says that a lot of players who, up until this point maybe hadn't really seen an injury that actually questioned mortality, might be having second thoughts about suiting up.

We see concussions and stuff multiple times every weekend and it's gross how we've normalized them as just part of the game, like an ankle sprain, but this was far, far different.

I'm not denying that this situation is different and I'm not trying to handwave what Hamlin is going through - by any means, but the league doesn't and won't just stop. I'm not talking about whats right or what I would do. I'm just talking about what the league may do.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

The reason we don't know what's going to happen to this game yet is probably because the league needs to consult with the Bills/Bengals but also with the NFLPA and likely all other 30 teams in the league because this will set a precedent. it might be sometime before we get a full statement.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

The hospital said they're not releasing any info and the family is probably focused on one thing only. Its not good new but it's not bad either. it's just no news.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

You can't just move entire weeks of football and the playoffs this late. Logistically and for the venues alone you can't really do it. It's either a tie or a make up game / schedule the least possible number of games to take place a day or two later / earlier.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Its' not that crazy. The refs say you get a five minute break before the game resumes. Coaches ask to get the team into the locker room, some players ask to just stay warm and keep moving and deal with poo poo in their own way. Situation changes and the coaches decide its best if the game doesn't continue.

It's perfectly reasonable ..

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I'm a little surprised the NFL hasn't made a decision regarding the game already but I'm happy to hear Damlin's condition hasn't worsened over night, was thinking about it a lot getting into bed.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Getting choked out is the only way I've been put to sleep, well other than booze and thats a strange feeling. You go from "I can survive this keep working" to seeing like three people looking down at you rubbing gently on your chest and you go "what happened" as if it shouldn't be obvious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

dirty shrimp money posted:

The more cynical answer is that the hospital basically has a blank check from the NFL and will use that as much as possible

The other side to this is, do you want to be the person who signs off on a clean bill of health and have him drop dead a day later?

Given the profile I imagine you'd be quite... fastidious.