Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Yeah I think the ESPN coverage has been really solid. Kolber’s cut ins scared me but I can’t even begin to say that’s her fault, it’s just a weird circumstance.

I never knew Ryan Clark but he rules.

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Let the record show that the Bengals were kicking the poo poo out of the Bills before all this happened

Hey man shut the gently caress up with this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I think the bare minimum level of respect even for this dumb website would be "Maybe the start of the game they played doesn't matter in the larger scheme of this situation?"

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

AsInHowe posted:

For what it's worth, when something similar has happened in hockey, the game was started from the beginning.

My point is less like, the circumstances at all. I don't care if the Bills have to forfeit (as a Bills fan.) My point is that it just feels gross for that to be part of the conversation. Maybe I'm just being aggro because of the emotion of the situation, sorry.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I think there’s probably some room for medical professionals handling Hamlin’s care to explore if covid had some effect on what happened,

I do not think there is a single way that letting this discussion happen in this thread ends with anyone happy with the outcome.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

blue squares posted:

"It might have been caused by covid"

"Yeah, maybe, and here's another thing thats unrelated and could also explain it"

seems like a normal conversation to me that people should be capable of having

You’re correct, it should be, but it won’t be, and it currently isn’t!

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Yeah I wanted to be mad at the NFL as a kneejerk but I think the whole immediate "What the gently caress is going on and what do we do" was actually pretty reasonable and pretty quickly decisive for the better.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Techno Remix posted:

Why does it feel so weird to be so affected by this? Like, I’ve seen people get hurt before, even pretty badly, but this is really sticking in my mind and I can’t get it out.

His team and his family are suffering so much more, I feel like such an rear end for feeling like I have any reason to be fixated on this.

I’m in the same boat, I think sometimes these just hit you even if you aren’t affected “directly.” For me and my immediate family, we’re such hopeless Bills fans that this game was already crazy high emotion/anticipation so then seeing this, and the team that we have pinned so much excitement and joy on both have this horrible tragedy strike and then have to see their reactions live… It was something else. Hero worship is dumb but we still do it, and suddenly when you realize that your “heroes” are just kids that are thrust into a situation confronting their own and their friend’s and teammate’s mortality suddenly and publicly, man, gently caress. It hurts.

Sure it’s not like, your family, and it’s not a large scale thing like the tragedies of a war, but so much of the circumstances around this type of thing are like perfectly crafted to short circuit your emotions and make you feel deeply invested. I mean that’s why we like sports as fans, right? Plus I think the helplessness of the whole thing stands out to me. I’d like to be able to say, “this is tragic, but they can change the pads.” Or “This is tragic, but they can screen for some condition prior to players going on field.” If this turns out to be the electrical cycle impact thing, it sure seems like we just hit the world’s worst lottery and there’s not a lot you can do if contact sports exist. I gave to the charity and weirdly, I didn’t see it as like a “I’m doing a kind gesture” or anything as much as a “I literally need to do something, and this is all I can think to do” as a personal coping mechanism.

It’s a weird situation, I didn’t expect to feel the way I do but I think you’re in the same boat and it’s okay.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Medical goons.. Does 50% oxygen imply trying to ramp down a ventilator, or is it just weening off of pure O2? Like it sounds good, but does it mean he's actually starting to breathe on his own?

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Hey it’s probably worth deleting that link because like an idiot I clicked it and immediately turned it off, but the views ratcheting up puts it higher in the algorithm and increases the chance those pieces of poo poo catch someone with a scam.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Lifespan posted:

Interesting. I would have guessed they would want to get back out and "work out their emotions on the field and play for Damar", but I didn't watch a teammate almost die on said field so I can only imagine how they are feeling.

I am surprised too, but I guess it's important to keep in mind the gravity and unprecedented nature of this. Even after just two days its easy to normalize it even though so much of media has been glued to it.

fsif posted:

https://twitter.com/CameronWolfe/status/1610770109601046528?s=20&t=P2f1U6xjUi8RZ8MCMsUlUg

If that's how the Bengals feel right now I can't imagine what shape the Bills will be in.

It's very weird right now as a fan with tickets to Bills Pats. Of course if they decide not to do it, I wouldn't be the least bit upset, but I don't know how I'm going to feel about it if it goes on 'as normal.' I suppose support the players if they play, not much else can be done.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Ryan Clark had a great quote about this in the coverage after the game was called Monday, if I can find the exact clip I'll post it (he had a LOT of great words.) He said, paraphrasing, "I don't think I really knew I could die at 24." That really hit a nerve with me, and at least for me helped explain the reactions we saw. Sure these players know there's all kinds of terrible injuries, but they also have been getting the best medicine (more or less) in the world and there's just kind of this expectation of how it goes - this wasn't that. Suddenly the entire structure and staff that sort of protects them from this being life or death is moving at a speed where you know they're scared. You realize that these people aren't thinking "Let's get him to the thumbs up" but "Let's get a loving pulse." That's got to be terrifying. We teach these players who are barely adults to believe they're invincible and they just got it stripped away in seconds - and worse, it's your friend and teammate. You realize that holy gently caress this guy might not make it home, this guy might not make it off the field.

I don't think this has any sort of 'labor power' or similar considerations. I don't think anyone thought about anything except basically total shock and horror because everything they knew about how these things go changed in an extremely graphic and rapid fashion.

Even outside of the initial shock reaction, I don't think today there's players thinking about anything but the sort of grief. I could be wrong - I'm no scientist on group dynamics and behaviors - but I've got to believe its all just motivated on that. You could maybe argue that circumstances have changed around them in such a way that they have some subconscious awareness that they have more say and control than maybe they would have say 5 or 10 years ago, but I don't know if there's a meaningful way to separate and extract that data point from the terrible circumstances.

Anime Store Adventure fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jan 5, 2023

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Thanks. Yeah, I hope someone makes a supercut of Ryan Clark with Scott Van Pelt from that coverage. There's a few clips that are probably the best segments floating around, but just about everything Ryan Clark said in that show was helped contextualize and calm so many emotions for me because of how well he spoke on the situation. I wouldn't have expected it, but I'm glad it hasn't gone unnoticed.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Doctors carefully explaining to Damar the seeding scenarios when using a winning percentage based approach

lol

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

If the NFL script writers don’t let the Bills win the Super Bowl this year, they’re soulless.

But really, brightened my whole day. What a recovery.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Blowjob Overtime posted:

"Is Butterbean OK?"

lol, has to be about the funniest thing he could have said.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Had my wisdom teeth out and my relative was the oral surgeon. Only nitrous, but he knew I super hated dental poo poo and obliged me the most nitrous that was acceptable. He's prepping his tools and getting ready while I'm listening to Siberian Breaks by MGMT on my iphone out of my loving mind. I turned my head quickly over to him which caught him off guard and informed him, "You know, if you wanted to just cut off my arm at this point, I think I'd be okay with it." and we both laughed for a solid minute.

It worked out because he told me later it was one of the shittiest wisdom teeth he'd done without putting someone under.

e: related to above post: He gave me the biggest one, but I tossed it because it was so gross to me. He insisted I take it because in his entire career he said it was among the biggest he'd seen. Still gross, gently caress that.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Sash! posted:

My dad had surgery and I was there when he was coming out. The nurse saw he was stirring and she asked him how he was doing. He slurred out "who are you?" and she replied "I'm your nurse Lisa." In his haze, he clearly misheard her as he angrily declared "Lethal? That's a terrible name for a nurse" before going back to sleep.

actual lol

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

The doctors said during the news conference that he boarded a flight, just to clear that up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

One of my longest weed breaks started December 14th 2012 with a similar sort of “Jesus loving Christ”- I had just finished my last final for a college semester and had a bunch of weed and no plans except about 12 hours straight of Skyrim on a pretty new desktop PC so I was pumped to get stoned and play all day.

Then I got a call from a relative, a former kindergarten teacher.

Sandy Hook, lol