Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Black Lighter posted:

I'm not an expert on this, but my mom died a few weeks ago after a cerebral hemorrhage and her vitals were ok but she couldn't breathe without a tube and was never going to again. So, until we get further word, news like this could be good or bad or neutral, I guess.

Sorry man, that's awful. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Thank god for some good news.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

I had to get a combo-wombo of a colonscopy and EGD (esophagogastroduodenoscopy, say that three times fast!) and you get sedated for that. The last thing I remember as they counted me down was the doc jamming something in my rear end, me saying "wait wait wait", and the doc saying "too late!" An instant later I woke up going "wait wait wait", in the recovery room, haha.

I also went under for an emergency appendectomy but I didn't do anything hilarious that time.

I've lost consciousness a bunch of times because I have a condition, vasovagal syncope, which causes me to pass out if several triggers stack up. For me the biggest ones are dehydration, lack of sleep, stress, and significant pain such as serious gastro distress. So that happens like once every couple of years or so. Because the loss of consciousness is due to a sudden drop of blood pressure, I'm given to understand that the experience is more or less identical to the feeling of dying from sudden blood loss.

It sucks. It's happened 20+ times in my life and it sucks every time. When I'm in deep and I know I'm definitely going out, I'm convinced that's what dying feels like, a crushing inevitability as all kinds of sensory input disappears. People say it's like the world closing in but that's inadequate. It's more like first I can't pay attention to vision any more, then there's no such thing as balance, then sharp smell is gone, and then I'm out, and that sequence takes like 3 to 5 seconds once it starts. I've got enough experience with it now that I can feel really early onset warning signs like a deep sense of unease... I can warn people, try and get to the floor so I don't fall, it's never happened while driving but if it did I'd have time to at least pull over and kill the ignition. But I'm doing that while fighting a certain kind of panic because I know what the next step is like and it's bad.

I remember when I was really young I didn't know what was happening and it wasn't as frightening, somehow, but I've hurt myself a couple times - one time when I was in high school I hit my head on a lab bench on the way down and they called an ambulance, I was concussed, that wasn't fun. At least now I can kind of tell myself not to panic, follow a clear process, and usually warn anyone around me "I'm about to pass out" which is sometimes a useful warning!

Coming to is also really bad. There's no sense of passage of time until I'm sort of gradually aware of auditory sensations, I'm actually blind at that point. If there's people around it's like echoey, background babble, like the sound of being in a huge old train station full of people talking, or a big building lobby. Takes a few seconds before I can start to see. Sometimes I've pissed myself. Rarely but probably 10% of the time. Embarrassing as hell. Sometimes as I come back I'm telling people I'm OK, or that I'm coming back. I'm nauseous and basically can't get up for several minutes, sometimes I need to kind of lie around or sit up for 20+ minutes, and I'm guaranteed to feel like absolute poo poo for hours.

Apparently I sometimes have a seizure while out, if I'm not with my wife there's usually someone scared or trying to call an ambulance or one time my boss at my old job was punching me in the chest ineffectively, lol, I'd slammed my arm at the "funny bone" spot into a sharp steel corner and was bleeding everywhere and he thought I was having a heart attack. Good thing I wasn't because he sure as hell wasn't doing anything resembling CPR.

It's probably not exactly the same as having your heart stop, but I have this strong sense that this is what it will feel like the day I die, whenever that is, hopefully in my very old age. I can't recommend it. I honestly hope Damar doesn't remember anything after the tackle, until fully coming to in the hospital.

e. I realize this is something of a derail, but we're also not going to get any news at 10pm pacific on thursday night so I doubt I'm like, pre-empting anything important. Still, if TFF mods want me to shut up about passing-out chat, that's cool.

I got sedated once...

...reading this post!

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Crazy Ted posted:

His heart was. They hooked a pig's heart up to him at home during the game so he could continue to watch.

Wow. Medical technology is nuts, Crazy Ted.