Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
A sports medicine doctor breaking it down:

https://youtu.be/H-G9mziXL9w

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Mooseontheloose posted:

does he show the hit and collapse, cause not sure I can handle that.

The hit, yes. It's a tackle youve seen 1000 times before. He doesn't show the collapse.

Basically, in layman's terms, this doctor thinks that this is a rare cardiac event in which he took a blunt force trauma to the chest at the exact right (or wrong) moment in the electrical wave of the heartbeat or something like that.

Basically the freakest of freak occurrences.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

I can't imagine what he must be feeling. He did nothing wrong but he'll carry this guilt with him for a long time.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Vitals back to normal is a really good thing? Yes?

I mean, obviously it's not *bad*, but is that significant to his condition?

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I hope it's a good sign but we already knew he never lost his pulse (thankfully obviously) so I don't know how much of a sign.

But he went into cardiac arrest, right? That means his heart stopped?

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
Nothing will happen, but if there was any justice, heads would roll over the attempt to restart the game after five minutes

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
This plus the Purdue kid today. Thankfully he'll be ok. Hope we can say the same here.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
Adam Schefter is really taking this hard. He looks like he's been crying.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Dango Bango posted:

OVER $900K?!?!

Thankfully humanity still has the capacity for goodness.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

He was almost certainly getting oxygen and bagged within seconds of the ambulance being on the field.

At least he had medical care immediately and is in a very good hospital.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
I was watching the night Owen Hart died, and this is the first time I've had this feeling since then.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Well gently caress, how am I supposed to go to bed?

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

acidx posted:

They probably have to do a lot of tests and determine if he needs emergency surgery or whatever, but at least this makes me optimistic they aren't going to say he passed away tonight.

They just wouldn't *say* it

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

indigi posted:

I hope Tee isn't too upset. poor guy

I'm sure he's beside himself right now. Anyone who isn't an absolute sociopath would be nearly inconsolable.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
The ESPN mic just caught SVP taking a deep breath before coming back on the air. Dude is doing a hell of job with the coverage.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

abelwingnut posted:

i mean, just end sportscenter at this point? put some reruns of...something more uplifting? a nice 30-for-30? there's no reason they should be putting him out there at this point.

He's a journalist covering a story. One that is actually important in the grand scheme of things, instead of showing highlights and talking about playoff games and trades and whatever else.

He probably wants to be covering this. Even Cronkite had trouble keeping it together on occasion

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

That strikes me as ominous.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

abelwingnut posted:

i'm fairly convinced these two teams have already agreed to a tie. i think the bigger question, especially for buffalo, is these owners talking to the owners of the teams they play next. both teams are already in the playoffs. i would imagine both would be trying to agree to ties to take another week off or something.

I have no idea what all the playoff qualifying scenarios are, but the only way I could see the NFL allowing that is if there wasn't a bubble team that wouldn't be hurt by a Buffalo/Cincy tie.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
Charlie Kirk once wore nothing but a diaper in public to "own the libs." That should tell you everything you need to know.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

TheKevman posted:

In happier news, according to my projections, Damar Hamlin's Go Fund Me will reach 10 million in the next few hours.

At least there will be something good coming out of this.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Mooseontheloose posted:

The Bills also have to play the Pats next week to and its a win and in scenario and I am sure the Bills players might not be up to it considering what may happen. Do you just say, gently caress the last week the standings are what they are?

Is there a real solution here? Like have the Pats play the Dolphins again? Allow for an 8 seed this one time?

I have no idea. I'm just glad I'm not the one I charge of sorting it all out.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

A Buffer Gay Dude posted:

Lol why the hell is this a probe, he was talking about the real and dangerous disease itself, which the player just had

Or are we not allowed to talk about how Covid is bad and has potentially harmful long term effects?

Yeah that's a bullshit probe

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Was watching last night when it happened. Knew something was seriously wrong when the medical staff were frantic, knew it wasn't a typical injury.

Reminds me of when Dale Earnhardt died in Daytona, had the same feel, medical staff was frantic and everyone else was in shock. Nobody knew what to do.

I hope he pulls through ok this is horrible :(

And like with Earnhardt, it initially looked routine (as routine as things like that go, anyway) like you've seen a thousand times before.

I was watching the night Owen Hart died in 1999 and I have the same feeling now that I did then. Something about this tells me it's grim. I hope to gently caress I'm wrong.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

A Buffer Gay Dude posted:

Both Tua incidents are 100% worse in terms of the NFL’s systemic failure to protect player health and cultural culpability generally than this insanely freak accident.

The Chris Pronger NHL incident is looking more and more like the proper comparable here :/

Let's hope so. Pronger made a full recovery and made the Hall of Fame.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Apples McGrind posted:

my concerns were more about the NFL handling the aftermath and canceling the game. I know the medical personnel basically did everything they could and probably handled it in the best possible way.

Yeah the NFL sucks rear end, but I can't find a single thing to criticize in how they've handled the situation

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

pseudodragon posted:

If the refs were thinking straight, the thought process could have been something like "I don't really want to play, but we should talk to the coaches/league about it first. But if we do play, the players can't come in cold, so let's get that taken care of while we figure things out because that's the only thing I can control right now."

As for what can the league do if the Bills are like "Our guys can't play. If you send us out there, we're going to kneel every play because someone is actually going to get hurt bad if we try and play in the headspace we're in"?

Also, hopefully Tee's ok after this and he can actually resume his career. Closest I can think of is another hockey example in Espen Knutsen. Dude took a normal poo poo that deflected into the stands, but it sounds up hitting a kid in the head and she died. Total fluke and no one, including her family thought he did anything wrong, but Espen went from all-star to out of the league in a year.

I'm going to hell for laughing at your typo, but I agree with your overall sentiment.

You wrote "poo poo" instead of "shot"

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...ty-is-fighting/

A family spokesperson says he's "fighting" as of about 40 minutes ago, so we at least know he's still alive.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

pseudodragon posted:

Haha. I guess I swear enough that auto correct didn't pick it up...

I'm the same way, my dude. Ive made the same error in the past.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Eifert Posting posted:

The players were obviously gearing up to play the game. There's no reason for either sideline to behave the way they did if they hadn't been told the game was going to resume.

Do the on field officials have the authority to call the game? If not, I don't know what else they were supposed to do.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
It makes perfect sense that people who have recently been traumatized resort to things that are familiar and comfortable to cope with their feelings. There's really no playbook on what to do in a situation like this. They probably just needed to do something. Anything.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Adun posted:

Yeah I mean the only real prism to look through actions by the league office is what maximizes revenue for the NFL with the least risk to the value of the brand. I would think there’s absolutely no way the league office is looking at that situation and telling people to continue the game given the potential long term harm to “the shield” from having to broadcast a player has died while the game he died in is still being played and broadcast.

Hell, WWE survived (and even thrived) after one of their wrestlers literally died in the ring during a Pay Per View and they continued the show.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

BlindSite posted:

I'm a little surprised the NFL hasn't made a decision regarding the game already but I'm happy to hear Damlin's condition hasn't worsened over night, was thinking about it a lot getting into bed.

Do we know for a fact it hasn't worsened? Is there a statement?

I hope you're right, but we don't know for sure.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
Dion Dawkins will be interviewed on CNN in a couple of minutes. Maybe we'll learn something new.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Techno Remix posted:

Why does it feel so weird to be so affected by this? Like, I’ve seen people get hurt before, even pretty badly, but this is really sticking in my mind and I can’t get it out.

His team and his family are suffering so much more, I feel like such an rear end for feeling like I have any reason to be fixated on this.

Maybe because it seemed like something so innocuous. It seemed routine, and he's a young, physically fit athlete.

People getting hurt in bad accidents makes sense to our brains. But something like this makes no sense. A young, healthy man shouldn't go into cardiac arrest doing something he's done 1000 times before. If it happened to him it could happen to me.

At least that's where I'm at. I didn't and still don't care about NASCAR, but the seemingly minor looking crash that killed Dale Earnhardt affected me in a way similar to this.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Sash! posted:

What's odd to me is that Dale didn't affect me at all. Car racing is dangerous business and people get killed all the time. One weekend at San Marino killed more people on field than the NFL.

But the NFL had like two million snaps in the last 50 years and literally tens of millions of chances for something like this to happen and it just didn't.

I guess it was because of all the insane crashes we've seen where someone walked away, and a seemingly minor wreck was deadly.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
He's been flipped onto his stomach to relieve pressure on his lungs.

Is that standard procedure? Or is that bad thing?

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Turdfuzz posted:

i haven't been keeping super up to date
did his heart stop again?
if it was at the hospital then that's the best case scenario
sucks tho

Yeah, once in the field and once at the hospital.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
Why do they have to wait to do neurological testing? Can't they measure his brain activity now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Narcissus1916 posted:

I don't want to make this about me or anyone other than Hamlin, but I'm getting flashbacks to the pandemic. At one point I had multiple family members and friends in hospitals, fighting for their life. They all survived (some with lung damage) but its the waiting that can be so brutal for loved ones. We're waiting for a binary update when the truth is that the body is still so complex that modern medicine can only tell us so much.

Waiting is hell.

My dad battled esophageal cancer for 5+ years. He had numerous surgeries for metastisized tumors, complications, etc. He spent 2 1/2 months in the hospital recovering from sepsis. He had dozens of emergency trips to the hospital. We often had to wait for news, and it was hell.

I sympathize with the family. Time has to be crawling by right now.