Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

TheAlmightyFrog posted:

And honestly there's a big part of me that hates even thinking about the football aspect of it at all because that's the last thing that matters right now.

It's all we can do, same as the guys who were starting to warm up on the sideline while he was still being attended. Humans look for routine and comfort in such times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Do we have any more reliable information about how long it took the CPR administration to regain a pulse?

I wasn't watching live, how fast did the CPR actually begin?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Aw gently caress

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Although I did see a pretty similar length of time for a successful CPR once, patient awake and alert within the hour. I swear it had to be ten minutes without a pulse although I wasn't checking my watch

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

they might have done CPR for longer than necessary bc they couldn't find a pulse, not that there wasn't one. A weak thready pulse can be tough to detect by feel alone

that's the optimistic take. 8 minutes of CPR isn't "stick a fork in him" by any means but that's longer than you'd hope to see.

Yeah. This case I saw had about 3-4 EMTs and RNs trying to find a pulse and could only get a thready one after ten minutes of CPR. But that's multiple highly-trained people trying to find a pulse at any spot they can.

It was also on a beach, so, not ideal conditions for finding a pulse even if the patient is alive and standing up.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Thanks everybody for the informative posts 🙌

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Turdfuzz posted:

i'm hopeful due to his age/health/quick compressions
weird poo poo could happen but this basically happened in the best possible scenario outside of it being in a hospital
i think he's good
he won't be playing for awhile what with his chest cracked open tho

He will be lucky* if he ever breathes on his own again.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

It's still very possible he has neurological damage in other regions aside from the pons & medulla, and it may take him a very long time to recover, and he may never fully recover in some ways.

Or hell, maybe he will. It's great news that he's apparently able to breathe on his own and responds to stimuli, but he's not out of the woods yet.

(I think I'm writing this mostly to temper my own raised expectations, I'm really not trying to be a wet blanket.)

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

It's giving me the willies just imagining being intubated

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Weebly posted:

the patient removes it themselves.

I gagged just thinking about this

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

mcmagic posted:

I wonder if he had some underlying thing that made him at higher risk or if the hit he took was just in the perfect spot. I doubt they will know.

I poked around the literature and it doesn't seem that commotio cordis is even slightly correlated with congenital defects or hypertrophy or anything, really.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

beep by grandpa posted:

Sudden unconsciousness or head trauma is so wild to try to visualize for me. From Hamlin's perspective, prob he was just out there playing football, got hit, stood up, felt woozy, blacks out, wakes up in hospital. Luckily merciful from his perspective, if that makes sense to anyone. Will have to have what happened to him explained, he won't even know how much time has passed. So crazy to think about.

Hopefully he doesn't have any permanent damage (though 10min with no oxygen to the brain uh isn't great...) but if he is able to make a full recovery I do think about the cool moment it will be where he learns about the success of his charity drive.

It now seems a little more unlikely that he had 10 minutes of anoxia, given this result. Probably the CPR was successful at keeping him circulating enough until they got him bagged and defibbed.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

hobbesmaster posted:

That go fund me should have enough now

Also late but re earlier I guess it figures that army vets would go off script teaching CPR.

CRACK THOSE BONES MARINE

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Agaragon posted:

It sounds like he was just barely conscious enough to communicate, but not awake-awake enough to ask the big introspective questions like "What happened?" or "Why is there this horrible thing breathing for me?"

Yeah I bet when he wrote "did we win" it mighta been a lil shaky

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

indigi posted:

if I’m awake enough to able to handwrite a question it seems like I'd also be able to freak out at the throat tube

You ain't been at -2

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

adaz posted:

is -2 like "drunk enough to eat taco bell" or -2 more like "drunk enough to poo poo yourself" because well maybe i've been at both but it's important context

Much closer to poo poo yourself

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Sash! posted:

Two of the three times I've been put fully under for surgery or something, the first thing I said was a number. Apparently I was still counting down.

It's amusing to ask them to count down from 100 and they get all the way to the middle of the word "ninety-niiiiii....."

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

pseudodragon posted:

Obviously great news on its own, but for the med folks, does this mean he's out of the woods and we're just looking at how quickly he can recover or is there still some sort of relapse risk or something?

I mean he could always develop some kind of secondary infection in his throat or lungs, could conceivably push him into pneumonia (just like could happen to almost anyone in a hospital), but that's really pretty unlikely for a young healthy guy and I bet they took great care extubating him

edit: and there's always MRSA lurking around

mdemone fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jan 6, 2023

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

BrownThunder posted:

His heart stopped. Some say he DID die. Maybe take a moment of silence from posting

Oh he definitely died. It didn't take, though.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Oh really? I have not watched the play because I don't like to look at such things, but I had just kinda assumed that contact to his chest was evident. Is that not the case?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Okay just watched the video and wow, that is very weird if it's commotio cordis. I mean Higgins really didn't hit him all that hard, and most of the force gets delivered by the helmet to Hamlin's upper right chest, not the shoulder pad into his heart area.

loving surpassingly weird.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Toaster Beef posted:

Basically this, I think. Also doesn't help that different institutions will have different definitions for stable/critical/etc.

And this is a high-profile case so the hospital isn't in a rush to move him anywhere which is usually what happens when you get downgraded out of critical care.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

dirty shrimp money posted:

The more cynical answer is that the hospital basically has a blank check from the NFL and will use that as much as possible

Yeah that was kinda what I was hinting at, everybody wins in this situation, even Goodell gets to come out looking good which basically never happens for him

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Niwrad posted:

That's incredible news. Is this something you can fully recover from or is there permanent heart damage?

IF this was actually commotio cordis then he has no reason not to expect a full recovery.

IF there was something else, they'd probably know it by now and the answer could be different, but that seems very unlikely at this point.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Chris James 2 posted:

Steelers should also be punished for doing a CPR sack celebration Sunday

I don't know if I'd fine them, but I would call those players up along with Steelers front office on the line, and chew them up and down for a while

Although Mike Tomlin probably already lit them up over it

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Rae Carruth with a shotgun?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Do we know what exactly caused the heart attack? Was it a heart defect or did the impact of the hit mess with his heart's rhythm in some way or was it something else?

It was commotio cordis, which is the latter part of your question.

If he had presented any kind of heart defect at all, we would have already been told about it (because the league would want to deflect the idea that ordinary football collisions can cause your heart to stop).

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Thanks! I've heard of that happening to people getting hit in the chest with hockey pucks, golf balls, or tennis balls, but with the amount of hits in football, I'm honestly surprised it doesn't happen more often.

It has to be a direct hit in a fairly compact area, which is when it happens in other sports. However the pads of football players absorb some of that energy and even more importantly, they dissipate the rest of the energy into a larger area. That's why it is extremely rare in football (but there are a few recorded instances aside from Hamlin).

It's just speculation, but maybe a hard edge of his padding was right in the right spot and transferred all the kinetic energy directly

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Docjowles posted:

Do we know this for certain? All I see online is rampant speculation

If it was any other condition, the NFL would be shouting it from the rooftops, because they don't want the specter of commotio cordis looming over fans' football experience.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Leperflesh posted:

Or, on the other hand, this is private medical information and the NFL doesn't get to decide what is disclosed to the public?

Oh sure, you're right about that.

quote:

What specter of commotio cordis? As far as we know this is the first time it's ever happened in NFL history. There's a specter of CTE looming over fans' football experience and it's vastly worse.

It's happened in college and high school, and I could swear that somebody in the 1970s in the NFL had it happen. (Edit: I'm wrong, Reggie Brown the linebacker needed CPR because of a spinal cord injury, not a heart-related issue.)

When I say a "specter" I mean something which is actually mostly not real, but people will be worried about it anyway because that's what people do.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Clint Malarchuk had severe PTSD after his injury.

Don't look it up if you've never seen it.

Agreed, do not do that.

Also I would absolutely retire and disappear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Docjowles posted:

Yeah it was Kamara just like casually bombing straight down a mountain in Montana on apparently one of his first ever runs lol. I think most of us have friends or family (or maybe even the rare goon athlete) who easily do well at any kind of athletic stuff they try. Now imagine that natural ability times 10 plus it's literally their job to train year round with the best possible facilities and coaches and yeah.

The video itself isn't anything crazy, other than doing it for the first time and immediately being very good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJE5L4IifUM

Well I wanted to take up snowboarding again but now I'm just depressed after that