Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
The NFL brass sucks but it seems like everyone is jumping to conclusions pretty hard about the “resume in 5 min” stuff that went down on the field.

That appears to be what the refs said to the coaches, and likely as an answer to “what the hell is the normal policy here?”

It seems pretty clear all parties at the stadium rightfully talked it out under exigent circumstances and decided to pause it to then discuss formally postponing based on whatever info they had, which they then did. Proper outcome in the face of circumstances exceeding that for which the normal policy was in place.

I’m sure the league brass will now get involved and gently caress up everything from here on out though, book it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Cthulu Carl posted:

They showed it once, but right at the beginning. Once it became clear that this was Bad, it didn't get shown again.

There’s an old saying in broadcasting, it’s in sports broadcasting, probably broadcasting.

Show it once, shame on…shame on you.

Show it…it can’t get shown again.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
Prayers up to all the drones at yahoo and espn who get to start the new year out sorting the mess this makes of all the fantasy championship games

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Paracausal posted:

https://twitter.com/DavidShuster/status/1610119800163897346

Turns out it was the players who told the NFL to eat one

This doesn’t necessarily mean they told anyone to eat one it means they made a decision.

In crazy situations like this organic decision making happens (think like alpine rescue or battlefield chaos).

All you can definitively say is that the coaches/players showed admirable leadership. Hopefully it comes out that it wasn’t in the face of idiocy from the league.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
https://twitter.com/thornton_melon/status/1610104595065225221?s=46&t=nTKYHbSQ-xQJPbLbrjVg7w

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

No it’s Covid vaccine conspiracy dog whistling

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Asproigerosis posted:

Yeah as it stands there isn't anything about this the NFL could possibly have done to prevent short of mandatory cardiac mri for all players that get covid? Complete speculation on my part, but if he had covid 6 weeks ago and presumably myocarditis, I could see a high risk of blunt trauma causing a deadly rhythm disturbance cause the conduction chain is all hosed up from the inflammation.

I'm feeling pretty good on his likelihood of recovery considering how fast he got proper medical care. Probably won't know much for a couple days as they go through TTM protocol.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Lol why the hell is this a probe, he was talking about the real and dangerous disease itself, which the player just had

Or are we not allowed to talk about how Covid is bad and has potentially harmful long term effects?

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Chief McHeath posted:

*athlete has heart attack*

*people give reasonable explanation of how that could occur in these circumstances*

“IT MUSTA BEEN DA COVID EYYYYY”

For real, get to sucking

What is wrong with you man?

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Elephanthead posted:

Welp I guess no news is good news at this point. Hope he gets some sort of meaningful recovery.

Unfortunately this isn’t true

We’re in a period of no news either way but the less news we end up getting the worse it probably is

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
People want to poo poo on the nfl, and I get it because they deserve it

But everything related to this incident has been handled appropriately so far and it really comes across weird when people are high horse posting

There’s nothing anyone can do except be worried for Hamlin and his family and we’re all powerless in that regard, so it just really is the time for good posting with the mates tbqh

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Apples McGrind posted:

In terms of the actual incident itself, i don't think there's anything else the NFL could do to mitigate something like that happening other than just dissolving the league and making football illegal.

On the subject of suspending the game on the other hand, that's a different matter.

We had many people in here last night screeching about the 5 minutes and temporary suspension stuff being Roger Goodell like Dr. claw with his hand on a lever, meanwhile it’s exactly as I predicted - the refs or someone said “normally it’s a 5 minute warmup”, everyone agreed that wasn’t appropriated and to temporarily suspend to get some clarity, and the game was then fully postponed due to the gravity of the situation while they try and figure out what to do.

Hard to think of any way it could have been handled better and boy do I want the NFL to take a huge black eye whenever possible.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
Both Tua incidents are 100% worse in terms of the NFL’s systemic failure to protect player health and cultural culpability generally than this insanely freak accident.

The Chris Pronger NHL incident is looking more and more like the proper comparable here :/

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

JAMOOOL posted:

and yeah the whole "you have 5 minutes" thing looks terrible and heartless but you know in situations like this bad info gets passed around very quickly, seems likely some ref said that to the coaches because that's what the standard rule is and the NFL just doesn't have a contingency in case of a player suffering a cardiac event on the field

I posted it last night but anyone with any sort of experience in high stress crisis management (think high alpine rescue) could guess pretty solidly that they were going through the “what’s normal->what’s different here->what do we need to loving do to do right” cycle.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

wyoak posted:

I think the contingency played out last night

Exactly this. Decision-makers were empowered to and given space make the right call and cultural / moral principles guided the mutual discussion.

Honestly, and again I hate to under any circumstances “hand it to them”, but the league and teams will probably come off looking good here with respect to crisis management.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Chamale posted:

Hamlin had covid six weeks ago, and covid raises the risk of cardiac events for a year. So that could have been a factor, although I don't think it can be determined with an individual case.

Hopefully the prompt medical care saved his life. I've been through cardiac arrest after a sports injury, went on a ventilator, and made a full recovery.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Incredible stuff from the mods, who are responding to this situation 420% worse than the loving NFL lmao

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

indigi posted:

nobody cares about covid doomer poo poo dork

Good thing he didn’t post any!

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Cthulu Carl posted:

Yeah, that thought hit me I think about the time Ryan Clark was giving SVP that "[Hypothetical "Hey y'all, Damar's fine, he just had a fart stuck" news] That news doesn't let me hug my brother, doesn't let me hold his hand, doesn't let me see him after I saw what happened. Even if he's fine, the game should be postponed" speech.

A Manningcast (Or one of the McAfeecasts for the college playoffs)... I can't imagine that going well.

drat recovery from a fart stuck can be intense depending on what’s plugging you up

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

wernox posted:

My wife thought she had that problem in '21 and it was an incarcerated hernia. She lost about a thumb sized piece of small bowel after I finally convinced her to go to the ER when she started vomiting the previous night's dinner.

Thanks for this I hope your wife’s ruined rear end in a top hat is okay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Thanks. Yeah, I hope someone makes a supercut of Ryan Clark with Scott Van Pelt from that coverage. There's a few clips that are probably the best segments floating around, but just about everything Ryan Clark said in that show was helped contextualize and calm so many emotions for me because of how well he spoke on the situation. I wouldn't have expected it, but I'm glad it hasn't gone unnoticed.

Clark and Booger were both great. This tweet is hilarious to me because it basically happened here.

https://twitter.com/thornton_melon/status/1610104595065225221?s=46&t=nTKYHbSQ-xQJPbLbrjVg7w