Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

:hmmyes:

Real bad sign when TO is who is correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
Fantastic news that he will likely survive. Even if he completely turns around in a week I can't imagine he would play again :(

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
Hamlin's GoFundMe is almost $700k now. NFL fans should push to get that over $1m tonight.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

indigi posted:

this man's name is Ben, baby

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

Pushing this again. Dude almost died playing a game that we have fun watching and talking about and this cash ends up buying toys for kids in need. Drop spare change out of your Paypal, $5, $10, whatever, lets blow this up.

EDIT: Almost $800k now

Lifespan fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jan 3, 2023

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
They can also intubate when inducing a medical coma to stabilize the body while they run tests to look for bleeding and the like, so that doesn't mean he specifically can't breathe on his own. I'm also not a doctor, so who knows, but thankfully he got great aid to survive long enough to reach experts with great tools.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Adam Schefter is really taking this hard. He looks like he's been crying.

He just read his Twitter comments

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
Nice, it's almost at a million now! Being picked up the sports media it would be loving awesome if this could reach $2.5m in the next couple of days, 1000x the goal.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

At least he had medical care immediately and is in a very good hospital.

But it is out of network on the NFL health plan. They are mad he wasn't routed to CVS/HealthCorp urgent care and 24hr liquor store.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

TheKevman posted:

Literally just cracked 1 million in his GFM as I refreshed!

Oh poo poo, this is exploding now! loving awesome.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

Why post anything from such a garbage person?

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

whos that broooown posted:

Please don't post Charlie Kirk in this thread, tia

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
https://www.gofundme.com/f/mxksc-the-chasing-ms-foundation-community-toy-drive

Up to $1.7m now!
EDIT: $1.8m, holy poo poo
EDIT 2: $1.9m!

Lifespan fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jan 3, 2023

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

Don We Now posted:

They were killing em!

BOOOOOOOOO!

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
https://www.gofundme.com/f/mxksc-the-chasing-ms-foundation-community-toy-drive

$2.34m. It will definitely hit 1000x the goal tonight. Faith restored in sports fans.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
Holy poo poo, $2.56m! 1000x the goal. So loving awesome. https://www.gofundme.com/f/mxksc-the-chasing-ms-foundation-community-toy-drive

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

Chamale posted:

After Chuck Hughes' heart attack, the NFL ensured that every game would have paramedics and an ambulance next to the field, and that policy may have saved Hamlin's life. I think there's nothing they could change in the rules of the game to prevent this, other than changing it to flag football.

Sad but true. Maybe an improvement to chest guards, but I doubt there will be any big changes.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
Finally watched the whole sequence and what a crazy thing. He clearly takes a shoulder to the chest, but I feel like I see that every quarter of every game. The refs actually deserve a bit of credit as when he goes down randomly, the ref tosses a quick glance at him and immediately starts frantically calling for medical staff. Probably saved 20-30 seconds of players poking at him confused before the staff decided they could enter the field.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
No matter what happens, that GFM has turned in to a full endowment. Hopefully once things calm down, he and/or his family can start working with a non-profit lawyer and you will likely see the Damar Hamlin Foundation as a result. Only positive to come from this.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

Komet posted:

I agree with that. I'm a treasurer for a small non-profit with a low 5 figure bank account. If we suddenly got an influx of $5m, I don't know what the gently caress I'd do with it all and would probably have to hire a lawyer because accounts that size demand more oversight from the IRS. Currently, I just file an update with the IRS and the state corporation commission. No one in the government gives a poo poo about a little organization with $15k in the bank and no employee salaries.

I have a family member that runs a <$1m 501c3 and just asked about what a $5m influx would do. The question alone stressed them out, so I hope the family finds a knowledgeable lawyer and director to steer them the right way. Obviously that is not the priority at the moment though.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

Sash! posted:

And, realistically, the only reason that they called the week after 9/11 was the enormous practical barrier of "you can't fly anywhere."

To be fair, it was also security concerns, but yeah it was more logistics than respect.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
Been a few pages now, so linking again: https://www.gofundme.com/f/mxksc-the-chasing-ms-foundation-community-toy-drive
Almost at $4.7m now. Hoping that there will be a bunch of people learning about this after getting home from work this evening that push it over $5m.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
You want to stabilize to certain extent before shoving someone in a car and swerving down roads.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

acidx posted:

drat, after FTX that's probably half his net worth.

Awesome post/avatar combo with that.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

atomicdream posted:

I just checked the GFM, and not only is it over $5M, but someone (Jason Hanold) donated $20,000. I don't follow football nearly enough to know if that's another player, coach, whatever - but I am just floored by it and how much the community has donated in general.

This guy has been the #1 donor since last night. I just assume it's fake, but a quick search it looks legit: "CEO - Hanold Associates | National Football Foundation & College Football Hall Of Fame - Board of Trustees"

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
Looks like they updated the GFM owner from "Damar Hamlin" to "Damar Hamlin and Damar's Team" so hopefully that means GFM are helping them navigate the charitable explosion.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

Bellmaker posted:

at this point I feel like I'd rather donate to his family/family GFM if there's anything available

Yeah, that's my view when donating to the GFM. If it goes to his charitable causes that is awesome, but if it goes toward supporting his potential lifetime disability I'm not going to complain.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
It's still vague, but that's still cool.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
Top story on Yahoo Sports tonight is about the GFM. It's pushing toward $6m: https://sports.yahoo.com/bills-damar-hamlin-wanted-to-help-his-community-now-nfl-fans-are-doing-it-in-his-honor-070416950.html

quote:

Just over two years later, Hamlin’s GoFundMe page became a way for NFL fans to express support for him after he collapsed during the first quarter of a Monday Night Football game between the Bills and the Cincinnati Bengals. The GoFundMe’s initial goal was to raise $2,500. At 9:30 ET on Monday night, fans had donated about $30,000. Only four hours later, that tally had reached a staggering $3 million. By early evening on Tuesday the total had grown to over $5 million, with donations continuing to roll in.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
I don't think any non-Snyder owner would gently caress him over in the short term, but who knows in a couple of years.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
Almost $6.5m now: https://www.gofundme.com/f/mxksc-the-chasing-ms-foundation-community-toy-drive

It's funny that there are plenty of donations there that are actually ads, but I guess there are worse ways to spend marketing money

quote:

$25,003 Sheets Laundry Club
$20,000 Jason Hanold 
$18,003 Robert Kraft and The New England Patriots 
$15,000 Pray For Damar
$12,000 Matthew Stafford 
$10,003 New Era Cap Foundation 
$10,003 Houston Texans 
$10,000 Russell & Ciara Wilson 
$10,000 Tom Brady 
$10,000 Anonymous 

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Take care, Hamlin. We're rooting for you.

Oooof, that is rough. I always hear stories about "the kid that died in high school" and somehow I was fortunate enough to never have to memorialize a classmate.

I guess there are no new updates on his condition this evening? Looks like the GFM is getting close to $6.8, but definitely slowing down this afternoon.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

Mirotic posted:

Honestly, it does warm my heart a little to see how much support has poured in. Lotta good can be done with that kind of money.

It has been the jewel of this lovely situation. This isn't just fans circling their own player, it has turned in to athletes, organizations, owners, and fans in general recognizing that this poo poo really doesn't matter in the end and Damar is fighting for his life because of a game. We will all keep loving that game, but in the end we want everyone to just have fun and stay safe.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
Interesting. I would have guessed they would want to get back out and "work out their emotions on the field and play for Damar", but I didn't watch a teammate almost die on said field so I can only imagine how they are feeling.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

A make up of the game is definitely not going to happen. At this point it is more a question of if it is a tie or if they act like the game never happened and go purely by win pct.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
We have definitely seen players face life threatening injuries with concussions and all, but not "9 minutes of CPR" immediacy. Usually the worst are things like ACL tears which players absolutely respect and they might be career ending, but not potentially life ending or even life (beyond career) altering.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

fsif posted:

There was no thumbs up as he was being carted away

Or middle finger up as Earl Thomas ended his Seahawks career.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
Good point. CPR is a great, life saving practice that is super important... but it is also absolutely barbaric in many respects and recipients are left very injured afterward (but still alive).

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

This is for real.

A Buffer Gay Dude posted:

Clark and Booger were both great. This tweet is hilarious to me because it basically happened here.

https://twitter.com/thornton_melon/status/1610104595065225221?s=46&t=nTKYHbSQ-xQJPbLbrjVg7w

This is also for real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

Well loving said!