Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

My father went into ventricular tachycardia and in that state, the only thing that can save you, at least neurologically, is getting defibrillated back into a sinus rhythm within 6-10 minutes. The heart won't respond to chest compression as part of it is essentially cramping & seizing, and no blood can circulate.

Cthulu Carl posted:

Hell, my dad died from a pulmonary embolism in front of my mom and I. This poo poo is hosed up.

There needs to be a blanket rule in any sporting event that as soon as CPR has to start on the field of play, that's it, game's over. You absolutely cannot expect anyone to want to play after that, even if the patient improves movie-style on the field and bounces back.

My wife (from Buffalo) & I were watching the game. There is (was) no procedure for something like this. Even when the ambulance rolled out onto the field - something neither of us had ever seen before - we wondered if the game would resume.

Until they mentioned CPR.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jan 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

indigi posted:

they wear shoulder pads, unless you have fractured ribs you don't wear anything to protect your chest specifically

When I played (over 40-years ago), there were large sheets of very thick plastic that were essentially the framework for the shoulder-pad assembly, and these covered the ribcage to the sternum & the upper back. These were laced together at a vertical seam, front & back. They provided excellent protection from broken ribs.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Just fabulous news!

I woke up intubated after heart surgery. I knew going in that I would and insisted that they tie my arms & hands to the bed rails, because I would absolutely try to tear that thing out.

I tried. I cursed the nurses & beat on the rails. They told me that I wasn't suffocating or Id already be dead, so calm the gently caress down. I was still coming out from under sedation (I had been under for 9-10 hours) so I'd calm down, pass out, wake up, and repeat. It was 45-minutes before they extubated me, and I spent most of that time, in a haze, dreaming up ways to murder the nurses.

I apologized to each one later. They were just the best.

Being conscious while intubated had to be one of the worst experiences I'd ever had.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

A week after heart surgery I dropped into A-fib again but didn't know it - they gave me an ablation during the valve surgery and, assuming that would fix me, subsequently stopped all my meds, which turned out to be a Really Bad Idea as ablation does not usually remedy A-fib on the first pass.

So although I'm feeling kinda crappy, I'm getting ready to drive (!) for the first time post-op & I'm facing the toilet after using it & next thing I know, My head is against the wall & I'm punching the wall above the toilet while my brain says, "WTF am I doing? Why am I beating feebly on this wall?" I didn't fall because I have a very small bathroom & I just wound up propped on buckled knees between the toilet & the tub.

So I just come out of it, walk out of the bathroom, & announce to my wife that something weird had just happened & I sat on the edge of the bed to tell her.

Next thing I know, I have head-butted my dresser and was on my knees with the sound of my wife screaming my name slowly rising like someone's turning up the volume. I am in a state of euphoria, convinced that this is the coolest thing that has ever happened to me, which is not helping my wife any as I learn I just passed out.

Bathroom mystery solved.

We argue about calling an ambulance because I am a cheap bastard & insist she drive me to the ER, like she did when I was dying of heart failure. She reluctantly agrees, if I would lean on her in case I drop again.
She is 5'3" and maybe 150-lbs.
I am 6'2" and 310.

We start out of the bedroom, through the short hall off my office & turn towards the dining room.

I am now on all fours in the dining room, cackling like a lunatic. My wife is screaming at me again, from her new location in my office, where I tossed her (about eight feet) as I went down.

Ambulance came & it got sorted at the hospital.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Just the best news.

As soon as he is able to walk unassisted (including crippling pain from the ribs/sternum) I believe he’ll want to be on the sidelines. Screw the NFL & all, but he’ll go when they say he’s ready.

No way he’ll play of course, but he’ll be on the sidelines.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Good, never liked the Gipper version anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I was watching the Redskins game when Joe Theismann got his compound ankle fracture.

The worst part was the defensive lineman covering his helmet earholes in an effort to un-hear it.