Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

You don't do CPR on someone with a pulse

Right. If they have a pulse but aren't breathing you only do the breathing part. No pulse = chest compressions too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Mooseontheloose posted:

At the very least it means they are working on him right? If he were dead/dying they'd be saying they are waiting for his family.

I wouldn't read anything into that statement other then "go to bed we aren't publicly saying anything tonight"

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

There wasn't any specific statement by anyone in regard to his condition since the one that was put out saying he had cardiac arrest and had regained a heartbeat on the field.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

I have no idea about anything but his heart stopping a second time seems bad.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

IANAD but maybe the drugs they have them in to keep him sedated would interfere in some way?

Or maybe they are doing testing and it's inconclusive or the family doesn't want any info passed on at this point?

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Docjowles posted:

Yeah when my wife was pregnant with our first child she was suffering from pretty severe back pain. She got referred to a chiro and ended up going out of desperation. He fixed it in like one appointment and she was fine the rest of the duration.

We were both shocked. I am still extremely skeptical of the profession as a whole but apparently there are some people using the title who do real poo poo :shrug:

I feel like most chiros are the quack "I can fix your allergies by adjusting your back" types but I'm assuming there are some out there that actually stick to the scope of what they can and cannot do and are helpful.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

I mean the guy died on the field right in front of them. He was without a heartbeat and wasn't breathing for 9 minutes until they were finally able to resuscitate him. That's that definition of clinically dead.

I don't think someone has died in the field in the NFL since the 70s.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

And use of an AED can cause a very violent looking reaction in the person's body when it delivers the shocks.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

beep by grandpa posted:

Sudden unconsciousness or head trauma is so wild to try to visualize for me. From Hamlin's perspective, prob he was just out there playing football, got hit, stood up, felt woozy, blacks out, wakes up in hospital. Luckily merciful from his perspective, if that makes sense to anyone. Will have to have what happened to him explained, he won't even know how much time has passed. So crazy to think about.

Hopefully he doesn't have any permanent damage (though 10min with no oxygen to the brain uh isn't great...) but if he is able to make a full recovery I do think about the cool moment it will be where he learns about the success of his charity drive.

He was getting oxygen to his brain via CPR

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

GoFundMe takes about 3% off the top, so at this point if you are considering donating, donating directly to his foundation is probably the way to go.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Asproigerosis posted:

Yeah I'd expect him to be at some sort of rehab facility? I have no idea how you'd handle a healthy young adult patient cause all I see is 50+ stroke/heart attack PT/OT rehab discharges. Kind of doubt there would be much PT/OT for an uncomplicated cardiac arrest peak athlete young adult that got incredibly rapid CPR and ROSC. Still hoping he gets a cardiac mri if he hasn't already.

I'd guess he's had every test they can think of.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Kangra posted:

I can't believe they cleared his heart to be with the team, especially with him staying at home. Hope some doctor here can clarify if that's safe in his current condition.

He had a bazillion tests. If anyone was at all worried, he would not be there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Qwijib0 posted:

:thejoke: was that his heart was physically separated from his body and taken to the game

Haha. 😬 Whoops. My reading comprehension flew right out the window there.