Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

A sports medicine doctor breaking it down:

https://youtu.be/H-G9mziXL9w

does he show the hit and collapse, cause not sure I can handle that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

SirPablo posted:

Reminds me of an event that happened in Minnesota - 14 year old Patrick Schoonover just collapsed on the ice during a hockey game, dead.

https://twitter.com/playforpatrick?lang=en

I remember in the late 90s or early 2000s somethign similar in the boston area, kid got checked at the wrong time and collapsed on the ice.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Crescent Wrench posted:

Yeah, re: the 5-minute warm-up thing, with a little more time to think about it I am willing to give the refs the benefit of the doubt that they were themselves shaken up the situation and were just trying to stick to their jobs and go by the book. But it's still outrageous that there wasn't already a better contingency for this or that Goodell made everyone wait so long before he made the call.

Like any developing story, we only have bits and pieces. And even then I am sure the refs were like, if we we are going by the rules, this is what we do. Luckily, the coaches and the players seem to recognize this isn't normal and calmer heads prevailed.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Sent some money their way.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

OneMoreTime posted:

The best I can is that it means he isn’t dead but yeah, the reality is that there is nothing to say, and we likely won’t know more until tomorrow at the soonest

At the very least it means they are working on him right? If he were dead/dying they'd be saying they are waiting for his family.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
I feel like ESPN just gave a generation of people PTSD tonight.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

I have no idea what all the playoff qualifying scenarios are, but the only way I could see the NFL allowing that is if there wasn't a bubble team that wouldn't be hurt by a Buffalo/Cincy tie.

The Bills also have to play the Pats next week to and its a win and in scenario and I am sure the Bills players might not be up to it considering what may happen. Do you just say, gently caress the last week the standings are what they are?

Is there a real solution here? Like have the Pats play the Dolphins again? Allow for an 8 seed this one time?

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Docjowles posted:

Boston posters / olds may remember Reggie Lewis, too. Celtics player who died on the court during practice of sudden heart failure.

Remembering hearing he died on WBZ and my family told me to notice that they kept saying they are waiting for the family before they give an update, which meant nothing good.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

aperion posted:

yeah, i know. I felt kind of dumb for even floating it even if it's a good idea in my head. I'm also tired and not getting any sleep tonight after all this so it's probably incredibly stupid.

Cancel this week, move this game to next Sunday and then play all the rest of the games a week from Thursday? Push the SB to President's day weekend which is what the NFL wants anyways.

OR go top 10 in each Conference, go loving wild.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

SpaceDrake posted:

Chasing M's Foundation is indeed the name of it, and Damar founded it, but it wasn't even remotely this potential scale up to now. In previous years, he'd barely been pulling in enough donations to not just have to fund the toy drive himself. That's what Lifespan is getting at - a $4.4m+ foundation is going to really need some legal help for oversight and whatnot and to make sure it gets structured properly.

On that note, lol my god they just keep featuring it on ESPN and whatnot, and as a result get more and more eyeballs on it. It's just a sniff under $4.4 million right now and it doesn't look like it's gonna slow down a jot after that mark. Going beyond 5 million is a real possibility here.

Please, god, let him wake up to that. :unsmith:

One of my friends was hurt in the Boston Marathon bombing and was able to use the leftover money to create her own small foundation that gives money out to people to this day. And that was with 10s of thousands left over.

My point is yah, money of this amount is huge and can do a lot of good if managed right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

All well said and if you need a companion piece the Boston Globe followed up with the 2001 New England Patriots and it echoes a lot of this. Link here!

quote:

Jermaine Wiggins, a tenement kid from East Boston who gained a glimmer of fame by helping the Patriots win their first Super Bowl and launch one of football’s greatest dynasties, went broke within two years of his last NFL game.

But Wiggins was never alone in hardship among alumni of New England’s historic 2001 team.

Twenty years after those underdog Patriots shocked the football world and triggered the transformation of Boston into a City of Champions, life has been extraordinarily kind to many in their ranks. Tom Brady, Richard Seymour, and Willie McGinest, among others, have basked in wealth and glory.

Yet an outsized number of their teammates have been haunted by trouble and tragedy. Had those Patriots champions gathered this year for a 20th reunion, their numbers would have been sharply depleted by premature mortality. In all, seven players who started the first title season in Foxborough have died between the ages of 35 and 50, strikingly young even for veterans of professional football. A 2019 study of NFL players from 1979 to 2013 found their average life expectancy was 59.6 years.

Many of the 2001 team’s living alumni, meanwhile, share painful histories of financial and emotional distress. Wiggins, who made several momentous plays for the trailblazing Super Bowl team, is one of eight members of the title team who fell hard into bankruptcy. Most, like Wiggins, a seven-year NFL veteran who got squeezed by the Great Recession, lost nearly everything.

“A lot of us were blessed to play in the NFL,” Wiggins said. “Now, unfortunately, there are guys who are no longer with us, and there are other guys who are dealing with stuff, whether it’s from head issues or financial problems or alcohol abuse or drug abuse.”

At least seven other players on the Patriots’ first championship team avoided bankruptcy but not fiscal calamity: liens, foreclosures, evictions, court cases, the ever-present threat of outright insolvency.