Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Mooseontheloose posted:

I remember in the late 90s or early 2000s somethign similar in the boston area, kid got checked at the wrong time and collapsed on the ice.
Travis Roy - IIRC it was his first shift as a Freshman for either Boston College or Boston U and he ended up with a broken neck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Mirotic posted:

What astounds me is one of the ESPN reporters basically had to explain to the cops who the hell Diggs is
So possibly two lives saved tonight then

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Narcissus1916 posted:

This is way back in 1989 but an incredible NHL story - https://www.coffeeordie.com/james-pizzutelli

Near identical injury happened again in 2008. Vastly different circumstances then what we have here but speaks to just how quick Trainers can save a life.

hoping against hope that Hamlin pulls through.
Is this the Clint Malarchuk incident? I saw that on SportsCenter as a kid and jeezus elementary school me was not ready for it. Neither was my dad who was sitting next to me, for that matter.

One of the biggest freak accidents in sports history.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jan 3, 2023

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

That fundraiser has now crossed the four million dollar mark.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Joey Freshwater posted:

It's interesting going and looking at the donations. It's mostly just random people but ones that stood out were a couple fantasy football leagues.

Chris Jericho donated $10k
Andy Dalton & his wife donated $3k

Some dude named Sam Malley donated $15k
Yeah there are frequently people popping in there with multiple-K donations. It's crazy.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Sash! posted:

What's odd to me is that Dale didn't affect me at all.
I was working a college job at a Wal-Mart when Dale Earnhardt died and boy let me tell you I saw people cry I could never imagine crying in a million loving years.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

adaz posted:

You're just making me hate crypto more which, tbh, I didnt think was possible.

I can't wait for the days when I can say things like "When I was your age, crypto was an Internet joke and BitCoin was $1.99 and the main way to follow it was a nightly YouTube show that looked it was made in a high school A/V room and possibly hosted by a pervert."

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jan 6, 2023

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

YouTube live chat comments seriously are the worst. There's an occasional gaming streamer that I follow and he's said that there's a magic number of viewers YouTube streams or Twitch, usually as little as 100, where bot spammers will start showing up and loving around.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

BonoMan posted:

It's 2 for 1 wells down at Billsy Buffalo's!
@BuffaloBalls

42,690 subscribers

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

BrownThunder posted:

His heart stopped. Some say he DID die. Maybe take a moment of silence from posting
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgSrvgRboAo&t=76s

But seriously how the hell do you go from CPR and intubation to flexing in three and a half days....

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

His HEART gave LIFE a chop block but after conferring with PRAYERS, GOD picked up the flag
LIFE has been diagnosed with a torn ACL & MCL, and will be out of action for the next 9-12 months. HEART has been suspended for two weeks and fined $50,000 for the chop block.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Lowkey one of my favorite videos ever.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Comfortador posted:

Every time I see this video I cry laughing so hard. I haven't seen it in years this was a great surprise.
Even if I try not to laugh, the "aaaaaaaaaaaand that's the wrong video" at the end will 100% break me every time.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

This dude was literally dead a week ago.
"The great ones, they tell the Grim Reaper 'not today''".

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

You telling me nobody ever ran around Fortnite with a combat knife in a Bills #32 jersey?

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

mdemone posted:

Rae Carruth with a shotgun?
Leonard Little weaving around in a tank.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Clint Malarchuk had severe PTSD after his injury.

Don't look it up if you've never seen it.
Another blast from the past: The guy who rescued "Baby Jessica" from the well ended up getting PTSD & other mental health problems from the incident, and later committed suicide. This even though Baby Jessica herself suffered no long-term mental or physical effects from her fall down the well - she's a married Special Ed teacher with kids. Just the pressure of the rescue itself had an enormous affect on the guy who did it.

Just being around physical trauma or high-stakes situations like that can really mess a person up.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jan 13, 2023

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

mllaneza posted:

Oh god, that one.
I don't ever, EVER want to see a leg bend that way again.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Taerkar posted:

I remember watching one injury from many years back where a college player (probably a WR) ran into one of those cargo carts behind the endzone and you could see the compound fracture starting. I think it was during a bowl game.
Oh god I think I remember that one too. He went in shin-first, didn't he?

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Those things are even worse when they happen in high school sports.

I worked in education for eight years. Once a starter for the basketball team at the other local high school in my district broke his leg landing wrong and my colleagues who worked there said that because there was only 1,500 to 2K in attendance and they had good seats they could all hear the crunches of his leg breaking.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Lifespan posted:

I wasn't able to watch, was he not at the Bills game last weekend?
His heart was. They hooked a pig's heart up to him at home during the game so he could continue to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Eifert Posting posted:

Clear eyes
Pig heart
Oink oink
Wakes up thinking he actually played his college ball at the University of Arkansas.