Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

adaz posted:

So many professionals and he still barely survived. I don't remember who said it but that .4% survival rates for outside hospital cardiac arrests makes a bit more sense. If they had all this and one of the most fit athletes in the world... man.

https://twitter.com/NFLprguy/status/1610386080439615490

Yeah, speaking of the bengals long snapper...

"Bengals long snapper Cal Adomitis, who played with Damar Hamlin at Central Catholic and Pitt, said that when Cincinnati was updated on Hamlin's status, quarterback Joe Burrow was the first one to speak up and ask if the team could visit the Bills locker room to express their support/concern."

The situation is tragic but I did chuckle at chiropractor being included in the medical team list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Medical Goons, is he home and just considered out patient for various hospital based doctors? Sort of confused despite some reports saying he's home
Looks like he just got moved to a hospital closer to home/family/friends that can provide the level of care he now needs, which to be clear his initial hospital also has beds for lower levels of care but it's 99.9% likely he just got moved to be less travel time for family.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

LeeMajors posted:

It’s also a long trip in a bumpy ambulance. Those airplanes are designed for transporting people in a flying intensive care room.

Dude is a millionaire and suffered a workplace cardiac arrest as an employee of a multibillion dollar league. He didn’t bump down the road in a lovely interfacility van with 400k miles on it like some random impoverished dialysis patient.

While I do think it's highly likely he did fly back on a medical plane, a quick google tells me the drive was probably 3 hours if perhaps flying was contraindicated with his lungs or what have you. And I will say this from my private IFT life in the past, the newest and best units and crews were the ones sent on transports to/from airports as well as longer distance rides, so if I were to broadly assuming all private companies have rotating stock that includes newer trucks - if Damar was taken by road it would have been in a unit less than a year old with perhaps even a 3 person crew (2 medics (crit care/vent certs), 1 emt). Yeah a flight would be smoother but an E-350 van ambulance with new suspension is pretty smooth if not driven by a moron.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Cthulu Carl posted:

Please tell me the wormhole Google found to allow you to get from Cincinnati to Buffalo in three hours by car

I think I had looked up the drive last night when I was under the influence and just checking now, I input Cleveland instead of Cincinnati. So simply pretend you are in a totally different city in Ohio that starts with C that also has an NFL team and it's quite easy :v:

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Tayter Swift posted:

Hamlin seems like a guy who will be hellbent on being ready to start by Week 1.

I'll go one further and say that if the Bills make it to the super bowl Hamlin will be suited up for at least one play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

The Lord of Hats posted:

While the human body can sometimes be weirdly fragile (see: this happening in the first place), it's easy to forget that as a species we're remarkably resilient to injuries. When you pile modern medicine on top of that, you get things like this that are, honestly, miraculous. He wasn't breathing and didn't have a pulse. He was, briefly, dead. And now he's up and about, and working back towards high-level athleticism.

I know this has been touched on before ITT and in a way your posts hints at it too but NFL athletes (and realistically any top level pro in most any sport) are so insanely strong in all aspects of their physical fitness. I remember seeing something posted about a NFL player going snowboarding for the first time and doing it very much the wrong way but their muscles being so strong and their coordination being so good, it literally didn't matter and they could stay upright even with bad technique.

I have a feeling my rear end at Damar's same age would not have bounced back as fast even if everything else was the same in terms of our treatment (to state what's probably obvious).