Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

News:
https://twitter.com/bengals/status/1610110669533351938?s=46&t=A36shaMxSO6KupaKt8rNlQ

Views:
2023 off to a great start by finishing the regular season this way.

Here's a thread to specifically talk about Damar Hamlin's injury.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
:smith:

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

well,

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

gently caress it, call the whole season. Nobody wins.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

FFFFFFFFFFFFF

Cthulu Carl posted:

gently caress it, call the whole season. Nobody wins.

Yes

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

https://www.gofundme.com/f/mxksc-the-chasing-ms-foundation-community-toy-drive

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
Good luck kid

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
at the risk of being melodramtic this feels like a "day the sports world stopped" moment. What that ultimately means gently caress if I know but yeah

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

at the risk of being melodramtic this feels like a "day the sports world stopped" moment. What that ultimately means gently caress if I know but yeah

Nah, I feel this. It’s rough.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Could be on par with the time the NBA cancelled all the games due to COVID.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

It was at $12k like 2 hours ago

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
In the grand scheme of things I doubt it will matter if it turns out to be a freak medical thing.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I get it.

Feels like the kind of thing that has some ripples long term but maybe that's giving the NFL too much credit. I don't know what that would even look like in any case.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

In the grand scheme of things I doubt it will matter if it turns out to be a freak medical thing.

Or possibly this.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

It probably is a freak medical thing, it was almost disturbingly routine as tackles go

It's very rare but not unheard of for athletes to collapse due to an unforeseen cardiac problem but I think this one will matter if it is determined the hit played a big role in causing it

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Just saw a news push and Jesus what an awful thing to happen

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE
feels bad man :(

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Febreeze posted:

It probably is a freak medical thing, it was almost disturbingly routine as tackles go

It's very rare but not unheard of for athletes to collapse due to an unforeseen cardiac problem but I think this one will matter if it is determined the hit played a big role in causing it

I’m not sure what the mattering could possibly be other than “contact sports are illegal now,” which doesn’t seem likely.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

pasaluki posted:

feels bad man :(

agreed

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I’m not sure what the mattering could possibly be other than “contact sports are illegal now,” which doesn’t seem likely.

If nothing else, combined with the prior showstopper injuries we've seen this year, it should hopefully produce a much more coherent and hard-lined policy and procedure for stopping the god drat football game when a player goes down this hard.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
I feel very hosed up and sad

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I know doesn’t matter, who cares, etc, but I wonder if they end up just canceling tonight’s game? I don’t see how they squeeze it and the teams’ week 18 games in before the playoffs given the circumstances.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

General Dog posted:

I know doesn’t matter, who cares, etc, but I wonder if they end up just canceling tonight’s game? I don’t see how they squeeze it and the teams’ week 18 games in before the playoffs given the circumstances.

I don't think there's time to play it in the remaining schedule anyway. Ties for everyone????

MD2020
May 30, 2003

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

General Dog posted:

Maybe play Wednesday (assuming tomorrow isnt feasible), move the Bills & Bengals next games to Monday, and then have their playoff games on Wild Card.Sunday/Monday?

Seems like calling this game a tie or no contest would be easier.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

i imagine it would just be a forfeit and both teams just have one less game in their record

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

3 DONG HORSE posted:

I don't think there's time to play it in the remaining schedule anyway. Ties for everyone????

Or they both just finish with 16 games played and the standings are just determined by winning percentage (which I guess is effectively the same as the game being a tie).

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

General Dog posted:

Or they both just finish with 16 games played and the standings are just determined by winning percentage (which I guess is effectively the same as the game being a tie).

Yours is a better idea.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
it should just be ties but the nfl will probably push for a Wednesday game considering 1) the Bills are reportedly flying home 2) ad revenue

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Redeye Flight posted:

If nothing else, combined with the prior showstopper injuries we've seen this year, it should hopefully produce a much more coherent and hard-lined policy and procedure for stopping the god drat football game when a player goes down this hard.

What, exactly, went wrong in this regard tonight?

Seems pretty clear that the coaches and players decided to stop the game due to extraordinary circumstances and did so without incident or pushback.

I hate the nfl brass as much as the next guy but not sure why the outrage here. It’s like everyone is getting worked up about something to feel better about the other, bad, thing happening.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

3 DONG HORSE posted:

It doesn't seem hard to just void the game, calculate seeding by win percentage. If the teams play in the playoffs (which is likely), just play it on a neutral field.

I'm just glad it seems like the game won't be resumed.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

indigi posted:

it should just be ties but the nfl will probably push for a Wednesday game considering 1) the Bills are reportedly flying home 2) ad revenue

I don’t think even the NFL would be that tone-deaf; simply canceling the game and eating whatever minuscule financial loss they incur seems like a pretty easy call for them here.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

A Buffer Gay Dude posted:

What, exactly, went wrong in this regard tonight?

Seems pretty clear that the coaches and players decided to stop the game due to extraordinary circumstances and did so without incident or pushback.

I hate the nfl brass as much as the next guy but not sure why the outrage here. It’s like everyone is getting worked up about something to feel better about the other, bad, thing happening.

Mostly in that there wasn't an official policy in place so that a hard declaration could be made faster, rather than leaving everyone in limbo. The right choice was made on the field and ultimately by the organization, but you still had an hourlong period where the teams, the attending fans, the viewing audience and the TV personnel are being forced to stay on site and fill space waiting for a confirmation on what's going to happen.

Having a hard policy in place to say "right, X has happened, play clearly cannot continue, so we're going to call this game" would avoid that in the future, or at the very least cut down the amount of time involved.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

General Dog posted:

As much poo poo as Skip Bayless rightfully got for that first tweet he did, mainly due to the timing of it (9:30, just moments after the ambulance went off the field), that is now a question for the NFL to address.

Obviously, it's all secondary now to Hamlin's condition, but this game has major implication on the playoffs, since both these teams were in play for the #1 seed in the AFC, so home field advantage and a playoff bye. There's a lot of options out there, but depending on how things play out tonight and the next day or so, what I think may happen is the NFL takes something like the 9/11 route: Postpone next week entirely, make this game up then, play the final week after that, and just drop the bye week before the Super Bowl (Nobody cares about the "Pro Bowl Games", do that poo poo whenever).

Maybe it's just being jaded, but I don't see the NFL just outright cancelling it yet.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Eifert Posting posted:

It doesn't seem hard to just void the game, calculate seeding by win percentage. If the teams play in the playoffs (which is likely), just play it on a neutral field.

I'm just glad it seems like the game won't be resumed.

Just do this.

Also, there's gonna be a bunch of mad FF nerds out there as a result. I'd imagine this game had huge impacts in league championships. I'm surprised we haven't seen more of those tweets tbh.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
What can get changed by the outcome of this game? Would some 3rd party team take offense if they need one of these teams to lose for playoff seeding? I suppose the league could always tell them to suck it up though.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

fartknocker posted:

Obviously, it's all secondary now to Hamlin's condition, but this game has major implication on the playoffs, since both these teams were in play for the #1 seed in the AFC, so home field advantage and a playoff bye. There's a lot of options out there, but depending on how things play out tonight and the next day or so, what I think may happen is the NFL takes something like the 9/11 route: Postpone next week, make this game up then, play the final week after that, and just drop the bye week before the Super Bowl (Nobody cares about the "Pro Bowl Games", do that poo poo whenever).

There is no way the NFL reschedules any playoff game.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

wandler20 posted:

Just do this.

Also, there's gonna be a bunch of mad FF nerds out there as a result. I'd imagine this game had huge impacts in league championships. I'm surprised we haven't seen more of those tweets tbh.

This game had huge implications for me since I have Allen and would have won my league with a normal rear end game from him but a dude nearly died and I don’t care at all about the money. gently caress that poo poo, if I end up winning somehow I’m going to give it all to Hamlin’s charity anyways

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Pain of Mind posted:

What can get changed by the outcome of this game? Would some 3rd party team take offense if they need one of these teams to lose for playoff seeding? I suppose the league could always tell them to suck it up though.

There are three teams in the AFC jockeying for the 1 seed, including these two tonight. A tie basically would knock the Bengals out of contention for it and make it very unlikely for the Bills; a win for either team would have put them in the drivers' seat for it.

There's only one playoff slot currently open in the AFC and I don't think this result affects any of the teams vying for it.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

wandler20 posted:

Just do this.

I had Higgins and the Bills D yikes

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
Also there is no way in hell this game is not played at some point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

A Buffer Gay Dude posted:

I had Higgins and the Bills D yikes