Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
What is the playoff implication of calling the game a tie? Definitely not perfect, but I don't think the players/teams would be against it after what happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

wandler20 posted:

Also, there's gonna be a bunch of mad FF nerds out there as a result. I'd imagine this game had huge impacts in league championships. I'm surprised we haven't seen more of those tweets tbh.

The internet amplifies the worst takes but the vast majority of people are normal.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Redeye Flight posted:

Mostly in that there wasn't an official policy in place so that a hard declaration could be made faster, rather than leaving everyone in limbo. The right choice was made on the field and ultimately by the organization, but you still had an hourlong period where the teams, the attending fans, the viewing audience and the TV personnel are being forced to stay on site and fill space waiting for a confirmation on what's going to happen.

Having a hard policy in place to say "right, X has happened, play clearly cannot continue, so we're going to call this game" would avoid that in the future, or at the very least cut down the amount of time involved.

There was an official policy in place for a serious injury and it was rightfully discarded under the circumstances.

I’m sure the nfl has a policy for “guy literally dies on the field” but that did not occur with any certainty.

So they sorted it out because this was a major gray area situation.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

A Buffer Gay Dude posted:

Also there is no way in hell this game is not played at some point

There's not much time left in the season and if the worst happens I don't think you could reschedule this game over the next couple days.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
If you’re the Bills or Bengals, is the possibility of a first round bye even worth having to play under these circumstances twice in like 5 days?

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

The easiest way to reschedule it would be to have this game resume on Thursday and then flex the Bills and Bengals Week 18 games into Monday Night. The odds are decent that the Week 18 games for both teams won’t mean a lot and they could rest starters anyways.

It’s not ideal at all but I agree there’s no way they don’t play this game and then find a way to play the Week 18 games. Maybe they cancel the Bills and Bengals Week 18 games somehow if they don’t end up meaning anything for playoff seeding and draft position

E: you could even flex the Week 18 games to Tuesday night if they can get the broadcasters on board

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t

General Dog posted:

If you’re the Bills or Bengals, is the possibility of a first round bye even worth having to play under these circumstances twice in like 5 days?

Could the outcome matter? Like if it looks positive they play a quick makeup game (or do they just start from where the game got postponed, no idea how it works) since players would be able to focus on football a bit more, and if there is a worse outcome they just say screw it and take the tie?

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

A Buffer Gay Dude posted:

There was an official policy in place for a serious injury and it was rightfully discarded under the circumstances.

I’m sure the nfl has a policy for “guy literally dies on the field” but that did not occur with any certainty.

So they sorted it out because this was a major gray area situation.

I'm honestly not sure if they would, since the last time it happened was all the way back in '71 when Chuck Hughes died on the field. The change that was brought about from that was stationing ambulances and paramedics ready at the games, which we did see the positive of that tonight. But the NFL has changed a LOT since 1971, it's become a far more complex beast with a lot more moving parts and other organizations leaning on it. It wouldn't surprise me at all if the policy they had isn't up to date to account for this, not necessarily because gently caress The NFL but more because of how much and how fast the game's changed in just a decade or two, let alone the 50 since Chuck Hughes. Hell, television is dramatically different in that time period, too, in just about every aspect.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Pain of Mind posted:

Could the outcome matter? Like if it looks positive they play a quick makeup game (or do they just start from where the game got postponed?), and if there is a worse outcome they just say screw it and take the tie?

It’s far more likely they finish this game and decide what to do with the Week 18 games depending on what they mean for playoff position

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Number19 posted:

The easiest way to reschedule it would be to have this game resume on Thursday and then flex the Bills and Bengals Week 18 games into Monday Night. The odds are decent that the Week 18 games for both teams won’t mean a lot and they could rest starters anyways.

It’s not ideal at all but I agree there’s no way they don’t play this game and then find a way to play the Week 18 games. Maybe they cancel the Bills and Bengals Week 18 games somehow if they don’t end up meaning anything for playoff seeding and draft position

E: you could even flex the Week 18 games to Tuesday night if they can get the broadcasters on board

I guess I don’t get why it’s sacrosanct, under these circumstances, that the season must end with every team having played 17 games.

Both teams walk away a little better off than if they’d lost and a little worse off than if they’d won; it’s a wash.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jan 3, 2023

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Lifespan posted:

What is the playoff implication of calling the game a tie? Definitely not perfect, but I don't think the players/teams would be against it after what happened.

A tie would hand the AFC North to the Bengals. The Ravens are still alive for it with a Bengals loss in week 17.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Number19 posted:

Thursday nights are for the *next* week, though. You cant play a week 17 game and a week 18 game on Thursday December 5th. edit: Actually there isnt a Thursday night game to start week 18 but the rest of my point stands.
Playing Thursday then Sunday (two days rest) is a non-starter. At best, the Bills/Bengals game is played Wednesday then each of their respective games for week 18 are rescheduled for the following Monday.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Pain of Mind posted:

Could the outcome matter? Like if it looks positive they play a quick makeup game (or do they just start from where the game got postponed, no idea how it works), and if there is a worse outcome they just say screw it and take the tie?

Yes. This game was probably the most impactful AFC game left on the schedule as of like 2 weeks ago. It's ghoulish to act like that is important enough to force players to resume this game.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

you just call it a tie and move on, because all the other scenarios are worse

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Ughhh I just looked at the Week 18 games and they “mean something” as well. Pats at Bills would had a solid chance of deciding if the Patriots make it, and Ravens at Bengals could decide the division

The NFL is in a real tough spot here

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
In a strictly business context there is simply no goldilocks solution regarding how to handle this game.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

They aren't going to resume this game. Neither team would be willing to play it. Call it a 0-0 and screw the playoff implications.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Number19 posted:

Ughhh I just looked at the Week 18 games and they “mean something” as well. Pats at Bills would had a solid chance of deciding if the Patriots make it, and Ravens at Bengals could decide the division

The NFL is in a real tough spot here

I dunno if you're being sarcastic, but the NFL absolutely plans it this way during schedule construction.

they specifically wait till after week 17 to decide timings to maximize each week 18 game's impact and competitiveness.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Lifespan posted:

If this game is called as a tie:

1st seed is in the hands of KC if they win next week. If KC loses, then the Bills would have the 1 seed with a win next week. The Bengals would have no chance of the 1 seed.
AFCN champ is the Bengals and the Ravens get a wildcard seed. Next weekends Bengals/Ravens game would likely only be for the Bengals trying to get the 2 seed.
Next weeks Bills/Pats game would be a win for 1 or 2 seed for the Bills (depends on the KC result), or a loss for a 2 or 3 seed (depends on the Bengals/Ravens game).

No other playoff implications, though you can speculate how well the Bills are going to be able to play against the Patriots, who need to beat the Bills to secure the final playoff spot (and thus eliminate the Dolphins/Steelers/etc.).

Honestly a tie for this game, though impactful for seeding, isn't that bad - it doesn't eliminate anyone, it just shuffles teams around. The Bills are probably the most hurt (makes getting the 1 seed a lot harder), but I doubt that is heavy on their minds right now.

Gully Foyle fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jan 3, 2023

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

I thought it would be simple but it’s not. This game vanishing off the schedule has serious implications everywhere. What a mess

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Fate Accomplice posted:

I dunno if you're being sarcastic, but the NFL absolutely plans it this way during schedule construction.

they specifically wait till after week 17 to decide timings to maximize each week 18 game's impact and competitiveness.

Yeah because a couple of years there we had like 4 or 5 games in the last two weeks that meant nothing. This is why they're stacking most of the divisional and conference games in the last two weeks.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

Number19 posted:

I thought it would be simple but it’s not. This game vanishing off the schedule has serious implications everywhere. What a mess

Yeah.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

If they wanted to go really crazy, they could cancel the week off between the conference championship games and the Super Bowl, delay the playoffs a week, and put that game on by itself the week after next. Not very likely but it is doable.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Seahawks fans, for this Sunday only, are all Bears fans. Defeat the dastardly Vikings you majestic Bears!!!

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

pyrotek posted:

If they wanted to go really crazy, they could cancel the week off between the conference championship games and the Super Bowl, delay the playoffs a week, and put that game on by itself the week after next. Not very likely but it is doable.

I like it I always hated the week break before the super bowl but I doubt they would do that because it would effect the pro bowl or some stupid poo poo

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Seahawks fans, for this Sunday only, are all Bears fans. Defeat the dastardly Vikings you majestic Bears!!!

Get out.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Gully Foyle posted:

If this game is called as a tie:

1st seed is in the hands of KC if they win next week. If KC loses, then the Bills would have the 1 seed with a win next week. The Bengals would have no chance of the 1 seed.
AFCN champ is the Bengals and the Ravens get a wildcard seed. Next weekends Bengals/Ravens game would likely only be for the Bengals trying to get the 2 seed.
Next weeks Bills/Pats game would be a win for 1 or 2 seed for the Bills (depends on the KC result), or a loss for a 2 or 3 seed (depends on the Bengals/Ravens game).

No other playoff implications, though you can speculate how well the Bills are going to be able to play against the Patriots, who need to beat the Bills to secure the final playoff spot (and thus eliminate the Dolphins/Steelers/etc.).

Honestly a tie for this game, though impactful for seeding, isn't that bad - it doesn't eliminate anyone, it just shuffles teams around. The Bills are probably the most hurt (makes getting the 1 seed a lot harder), but I doubt that is heavy on their minds right now.

Baltimore would also be playing for the 5 seed if the Chargers lose.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Number19 posted:

It may just have to be an impactful cancellation. It’s not like the teams conspired for things to turn out this way, and it’s not like the NFL is putting its thumb on the scale to benefit or hurt any specific team. The outcome of this game is that something really bad happened and it couldn’t be completed. It’s the same for the Pats, Ravens and everyone else as if they’d tied; nothing is being taken away from them.

Mirotic
Mar 8, 2013

I'm a Bears fan and I wouldn't wish this on you fwiw

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

Seahawks fans are only fans of the Lions and Seahawks next week. ...But yeah, in the off chance they make the playoffs I want them to play the Vikings and their garbage running game.

MD2020
May 30, 2003

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

pasaluki posted:

I like it I always hated the week break before the super bowl but I doubt they would do that because it would effect the pro bowl or some stupid poo poo

I think any resistance to cance!ing the week before the Super Bowl is less about the Pro Bowl and more for all the corporate-sponsored events and parties that take place that week.

MD2020
May 30, 2003

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

General Dog posted:

It may just have to be an impactful cancellation. It’s not like the teams conspired for things to turn out this way, and it’s not like the NFL is putting its thumb on the scale to benefit or hurt any specific team. The outcome of this game is that something really bad happened and it couldn’t be completed. It’s the same for the Pats, Ravens and everyone else as if they’d tied; nothing is being taken away from them.

It's sort of similar to a few years ago when a hurricane resulted in dome game in Florida being canceled but the affected teams had the same bye week, so the game got rescheduled there.

Yeah, it sucks for the teams impacted, but that's who it happens sometimes.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Why not just call the game final at the given 7-3 score? I know its kinda bullshit, but seems the easiest choice.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
That's not how the game works. Find a way to thoughtfully continue from that point or call it a tie/cancel the game.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
There isn't a truly fair solution. But the one that I think the fewest people would be upset with is let Buffalo decide what they want to do. And if the Bengals are okay with it then that is that.

They could forfeit.
They could ask for a tie.
They could ask to play the game.

There aren't really any other options that don't, in some way, impact a lot of other teams in one way or another.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/MySportsUpdate/status/1610166684270075906

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

Eifert Posting posted:

There is no way the NFL reschedules any playoff game.

The playoff games haven't been scheduled yet outside of "if your team is the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th seed; there will be a home playoff game on this particular weekend".

But outside of the NFC 4 seed, I don't think anything is set in stone yet. Seems very possible to just push everything back a week.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
I was watching this game with a boomer friend and he was big on The Show Must Go On and No One Player Is Bigger Than The Game kind of poo poo

He's also still super mad about Washington changing their name.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

There’s no solution that’s going to please everyone so I say just get creative.

- Tonight’s game is just non-existent.
- Bills don’t play next week and the Pats play the Steelers instead. Browns are out already so who cares.
- Make Bengals-Ravens a winner gets the North game, regardless of records.
- If KC and Cincy win, 1. KC, 2. CIN, 3. BUF
- If KC loses and Cincy wins, 1. CIN, 2. BUF, 3. KC
- If KC wins and Cincy loses, 1. KC, 2. BUF, 3. BAL
- If they both lose, 1. BUF, 2. KC, 3. BAL

The Bills get time to cope. Everyone else still has at least some control of their destiny. NFL gets big time Bengals-Ravens and Pats-Steelers games.

Truther Vandross fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Jan 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I suppose the cleanest solution is to give everyone else a bye week and have the Bengals and Bills go again next week, but lmao at the thought of the NFL and networks being okay at the thought of one football game airing in an entire week.

Postpone this game to Wednesday and reschedule the Bills and Bengals' Week 18 games for Tuesday?