Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

sportsgenius86 posted:

There’s no solution that’s going to please everyone so I say just get creative.

- Tonight’s game is just non-existent.
- Bills don’t play next week and the Pats play the Steelers instead. Browns are out already so who cares.
- Make Bengals-Ravens a winner gets the North game, regardless of records.
- If KC and Cincy win, 1. KC, 2. CIN, 3. BUF
- If KC loses and Cincy wins, 1. CIN, 2. BUF, 3. KC
- If KC wins and Cincy loses, 1. KC, 2. BUF, 3. BAL
- If they both lose, 1. BUF, 2. KC, 3. BAL

The Bills get time to cope. Everyone else still has at least some control of their destiny. NFL gets big time Bengals-Ravens and Pats-Steelers games.

There's no way the NFL dare get this creative, but I actually kind of like this. It sort of maintains the competition and at least relatively the odds of seeding? It takes the 1st seed out of the Bills hands, but they get a 'bye' and still (probably) have to play wildcard weekend in the post-season, so it sort of splits the difference. (Not even to speak of the fact they absolutely deserve the time off not at all from the perspective of competition, but just what they're going through as a team.)

I dunno, I would absolutely hate to be the NFL decision makers right now. There's just not good answers and there's no solution that's even close to clear.

I'm crazy bummed. I've lived my whole life deep in Bills Country and have never seen a game in person. My college friends decided this summer that we should go to a home game, so we picked up cheap tickets for Pats/Bills week 18. People are flying in from all over, and now I'm gonna bet it won't happen, or at least its going to get all sorts of hosed up. Obviously what's happening is orders of magnitude more important but its just one extra personal sting to a whole poo poo situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Well, I apparently picked a good week to take a nap and play video games and forget about MNF. I hope everything ends up ok somehow.

CapnAndy posted:

Postpone this game to Wednesday and reschedule the Bills and Bengals' Week 18 games for Tuesday?

This is the least important thing because we should be worried about other stuff of course, but the Bills flew back home so I think we're done with this game being played. They'll figure something out as far as playoff stuff goes but it's probably not gonna involve the finish or replay of this game I'd imagine since they probably won't reschedule the season around it.

I mean who knows, maybe they could if they wanted to badly enough--it'd be cool of them to care in some fashion about Hamlin but I don't see that fashion involving anything regarding this game being played. Which is right, you don't need to mess around here. You can't just go emergency flight back and Wednesday game when we still might not know what's up and then make them play next week, football does not or at least should not work like that. I would hope at least.

I have been alive long enough for the NFL to disappoint me about these things of course so we'll have to wait to see what happens.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
Call the game a tie (or, hell, give them both wins) . Add 2 more 1st round byes and 2 more WC teams to the AFC this year. The result is that KC, BUF, and CIN all get byes and two more lovely teams (MIA and Pit) get WC spots.

The Little Kielbasa fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jan 3, 2023

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
declare the game a no contest, consider it a tie for playoff ranking etc purposes. Not a difficult decision, there is no way to make up this game that doesn't completely gently caress up the playoffs.

NFL will extend the season by a week and have this game a solo feature cause they loving love money and gets them closer to all year round season of profits.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Number_6 posted:

I was watching this game with a boomer friend and he was big on The Show Must Go On and No One Player Is Bigger Than The Game kind of poo poo

He's also still super mad about Washington changing their name.

I mean after covid does this mindset surprise you

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
https://twitter.com/2MelissaHolmes/status/1610235021956157441

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Dumb question: So if they replay the game, they start like from scratch right?

Impossibly Perfect Sphere fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jan 3, 2023

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Dumb question: So if they replay the same, they start like from scratch right?

I think they just start at the same down and distance, time, and score they left off on.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Dumb question: So if they replay the same, they start like from scratch right?

I mean saying the game is suspended kind of implies that it would be resumed.

There's no elegant way to resume the game IMO it should be called. Even if you were to actually just delay the entire league one week and have the bills and Bengals play on their own a bye is possibly the biggest competitive advantage in football and you'd be giving every other playoff team a bye week at the expense of the two teams that were actually traumatized by the events on the field.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I mean I don't know if that is a dumb question it's really interesting. I just assume sure they do a fresh new game, but if they said they were resuming the score/time of the original game I would be like "Yeah sure that makes sense".

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Eifert Posting posted:

I mean saying the game is suspended kind of implies that it would be resumed.

By all reports the nfl was trying to get the game to start again. the people making split second decisions sre completely incompetent ghouls who misread the situation about as badly as you could.

“Suspended” is just the cover term while their crisis pr team sets up the polling and gets paid high six figures to tell goodell “holy poo poo you loving dumbasses don’t make them replay this game.”

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

The only thing that makes sense to me is to just treat the game like it never happened and have the Bills and Bengals finish the season with only 16 regular season games. Just about any solution will put both teams at a competitive disadvantage anyway so you might as well choose the one that's the most humane.

(The NFL will not choose the one that's the most humane.)

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
Both the Bills and the Bengals are going to play football games again, what are they going to do, forfeit everything from here on?

They’ll finish the game, and if handled right, that’s fine.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

A Buffer Gay Dude posted:

Both the Bills and the Bengals are going to play football games again, what are they going to do, forfeit everything from here on?

They’ll finish the game, and if handled right, that’s fine.

No, just literally don't force the players to fly back to Cincinnati to replay the exact game within a couple of days of a massive trauma. They can still play the Week 18 games and the postseason games.

Nov 6, 2002

Play it at a neutral site.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I would also watch Josh Allen and Joe Burrow settle the game over Mario Party fwiw

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

fsif posted:

No, just literally don't force the players to fly back to Cincinnati to replay the exact game within a couple of days of a massive trauma. They can still play the Week 18 games and the postseason games.

They aren’t going to play it right away unless both teams are on board.

Most likely here is they play it after everything else if and only if it still retains importance, and I would not be surprised if that if only one team would benefit, the other team agrees to take an L.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Both teams send captains out to midfield like for a coin flip. They pair off and play Rock, Paper Scissors. Best 3 out of 5, winner out of each pair scores a touchdown for their team. Repeat four times so each set represents a quarter.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

fsif posted:

The only thing that makes sense to me is to just treat the game like it never happened and have the Bills and Bengals finish the season with only 16 regular season games. Just about any solution will put both teams at a competitive disadvantage anyway so you might as well choose the one that's the most humane.

(The NFL will not choose the one that's the most humane.)

As far as I can tell the only competitive disadvantage for any football team you can really prescribe to that is
A) It makes it impossible for the Bengals to get the one seed. But who the gently caress cares, the Chiefs weren't going to lose to the Raiders anyways.
B) By win percentage the bills would need the Chiefs to lose to get a bye week. But who cares, nobody can argue the bills had this game in hand or anything. Assuming a win when you're down by 4 and away against an equal team isn't an argument you can really make.
C) By win % the Ravens can't win the division if this game isn't played. But who cares, This bengals team was never going to lose out and the Ravens are extremely flawed.

The only real complication would be deciding who gets the two versus three seed and who plays the home playoff game if and when the Bengals and the Bills end up playing each other in the playoffs, But there are a bunch of fair ways to determine that, and like three stadiums roughly equidistant from the two teams for a neutral field.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The 2022 operations manual outlines emergencies and what actions the commissioner is allowed to take.

https://fliphtml5.com/uryp/sdbq

Flip to page A75. Commissioner can suspend, cancel, postpone, or terminate a game due to emergency. Right now the game is suspended. It will likely be canceled, in my guess. If canceled, the game will not be replayed or rescheduled and will be treated as a non-event. None of the stats count, and win percentage will be used for divisional/playoff seeding.

Termination ends the game at the current score, but the provisions for termination are not met. It could be postponed and later resumed, but I don't think scheduling will allow.

I do not believe there is a provision for making the game a tie.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
I wonder whether player contracts have a provision to adjust thresholds for bonus incentives in the event a game is canceled and their stats don’t count

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

Zoran posted:

I wonder whether player contracts have a provision to adjust thresholds for bonus incentives in the event a game is canceled and their stats don’t count

Probably some force majeure type of clause, but I don't think a cardiac event postponing/canceling a game would apply.

Best option here is for NFL to call it a tie. Neither team would object because of the PR and it puts both teams in a position to focus on their final games. Next best option is Buffalo forfeits in the name of their players' safety though they risk dropping to 3 seed. Third best option is everything except playing out the rest of the game in week 19.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

A Buffer Gay Dude posted:

They aren’t going to play it right away unless both teams are on board.

Most likely here is they play it after everything else if and only if it still retains importance, and I would not be surprised if that if only one team would benefit, the other team agrees to take an L.

https://twitter.com/2MelissaHolmes/status/1610227452852441089

It sounds like they've been discussing it and if they DO want to replay this game, I don't know what other time frame would work. They can't push back the entire postseason. Obviously if the players refuse to do it, though, the league's hand might be forced.

Eifert Posting posted:

As far as I can tell the only competitive disadvantage for any football team you can really prescribe to that is
A) It makes it impossible for the Bengals to get the one seed. But who the gently caress cares, the Chiefs weren't going to lose to the Raiders anyways.
B) By win percentage the bills would need the Chiefs to lose to get a bye week. But who cares, nobody can argue the bills had this game in hand or anything. Assuming a win when you're down by 4 and away against an equal team isn't an argument you can really make.
C) By win % the Ravens can't win the division if this game isn't played. But who cares, This bengals team was never going to lose out and the Ravens are extremely flawed.

The only real complication would be deciding who gets the two versus three seed and who plays the home playoff game if and when the Bengals and the Bills end up playing each other in the playoffs, But there are a bunch of fair ways to determine that, and like three stadiums roughly equidistant from the two teams for a neutral field.

Those are all valid competitive concerns and really big complications! I still think cancelling the game and doing seeding based on win % is by far the best of the bad solutions but questions of home field and byes in the playoffs are pretty big deals.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
What was the estimated win percentage when the game was suspended? Solve with a d100.

(seriously, though, I think canceling the game, giving all three teams in contention for a bye a bye, and expanding the WC by two to make the playoff schedule work is the least-unfair way to go. It changes home-field advantage, but something has to give and home-field seems less important that "making the playoffs or not" or "getting auto-advanced to the second round or not")

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

If they play the game in “week 19,” there is no way Goodell doesn’t look back on this in a few years and publicly say it was a successful proof of concept for a new nineteen week schedule perhaps with eighteen games.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

King Hong Kong posted:

If they play the game in “week 19,” there is no way Goodell doesn’t look back on this in a few years and publicly say it was a successful proof of concept for a new nineteen week schedule perhaps with eighteen games.
The NFL needs to have a 19 week season where each team gets two byes. And now they'll put a bye between the end of the regular season and the start of the playoffs in case of future pandemic, natural disaster, or traumatic player health tragedy.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Zurreco posted:

Probably some force majeure type of clause, but I don't think a cardiac event postponing/canceling a game would apply.

Best option here is for NFL to call it a tie. Neither team would object because of the PR and it puts both teams in a position to focus on their final games. Next best option is Buffalo forfeits in the name of their players' safety though they risk dropping to 3 seed. Third best option is everything except playing out the rest of the game in week 19.

There is no provision for calling it a tie. It can be continued at a later date and completed, canceled, terminated, or forfeited. Forfeiture requires some negative action on the part of one team which is not present. Termination ends the game at the current score if the commissioner is relatively certain the outcome was determined (like 40-3 in the fourth quarter - also not present).

Cancellation is most likely as the game had just started. This means the game did not occur (like a no-contest in boxing/MMA) and that win/loss record will be used for AFC divisional and playoff seeding to account for the difference in games played.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
Settle it with a practice run of whatever dumb games they’re planning on doing at the Pro Bowl

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

The NFL needs to have a 19 week season where each team gets two byes. And now they'll put a bye between the end of the regular season and the start of the playoffs in case of future pandemic, natural disaster, or traumatic player health tragedy.

Yea, this was my thought as well for a solution that makes everyone? happy. The league gets an extra week of football for ads, the players get an additional week of rest during the season, and it gives some buffer if they need to make up a late season game for any reason.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

There's just no obvious logistical way to do a Week 19. Questions of re-scheduling games came up during the COVID year and it pretty much came down to that TV contracts were way too restrictive to fudge the schedule like that.

Even if they were able to push back the postseason by a week (which again, they're not), you'd suddenly have the Bills and Bengals being the only two teams playing that week while every other playoff team would get a bye. Either team would be better off just forfeiting this week.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
This is a completely different point but it's absolutely absurd to me the teams only get one bye during the regular season. The NFL could easily just extend the regular season by a week and give every team a bye prior to their Thursday night football game and solve two major problems at once.

It feels to me like the league withholding a negotiating point against the players even though literally everybody benefits.

Edit: I'm sure both teams were spitballing ways to resolve the issue yesterday, and there was probably something mutually agreeable, but the league is very legalistic and they are ultimately not going to give a poo poo what the coaches, the players, 2/32 owners think.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

agree to a tie game here, eliminate the stupid gap week between the super bowl and the conference championship games, and push week 18 and all non-super bowl playoffs games out by a week.

you can argue the logistics are terrible, but there is not situation here where the logistics work well. this at least gives the teams involved some time to regain composure. and given what we've seen from twitter, i'm guessing most of if not all players around the league want some time here. this is one of those eye-opening situations and it would be good for everyone to take a bit of time.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The NFL is not going to sacrifice a week of hype for the premier sports event on the continent for a week of somber reflection on the dangers inherent to athletes.

Nov 6, 2002

The recent history of league decisions makes me thing they will take whichever option causes the least disruption to the other 30 teams. Think of how they let the Broncos basically play a game with no quarterback rather than cause a schedule change.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

as much as it fucks the ravens i think the only logical solution here is to just call off the game and have the two teams play one less game than everyone else. it's by no means perfect but everything else feels like a logistics nightmare

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
Is there any reason why the season cannot just be two weeks longer? Add an extra bye (each team gets a bye before and after week 10?) and an extra week before playoffs, leave the week before the Superbowl if they care about hype building that much.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Eifert Posting posted:

This is a completely different point but it's absolutely absurd to me the teams only get one bye during the regular season. The NFL could easily just extend the regular season by a week and give every team a bye prior to their Thursday night football game and solve two major problems at once.

It feels to me like the league withholding a negotiating point against the players even though literally everybody benefits.

Edit: I'm sure both teams were spitballing ways to resolve the issue yesterday, and there was probably something mutually agreeable, but the league is very legalistic and they are ultimately not going to give a poo poo what the coaches, the players, 2/32 owners think.

This is a good point, there are so many teams with a big portion of their roster injured at any one time I think there's a good case for increasing the number of bye weeks a team gets or massively restructuring the schedule so that no team plays more than a certain number of consecutive weeks during the regular season. All the players could benefit from more rest. None of this would have stopped what happened last night but the players need to be looked after a lot better.

Nov 6, 2002

Getting an 18 week season by adding another game instead of another bye week was always dumb dumb dumb.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

fsif posted:

Those are all valid competitive concerns and really big complications! I still think cancelling the game and doing seeding based on win % is by far the best of the bad solutions but questions of home field and byes in the playoffs are pretty big deals.

Another thing to think about for the people saying the Chiefs would 'win anyway' is that if the Chiefs don't HAVE to win their last game to lock it up, they can easily rest starters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Vando posted:

Another thing to think about for the people saying the Chiefs would 'win anyway' is that if the Chiefs don't HAVE to win their last game to lock it up, they can easily rest starters.

They play before the bills in week 18 and if the chiefs lose and the bills win the bills get the bye.

The only meaningful way this affects the Chiefs is if the Bills had actually won this game they would control their destiny for the number one seed. In every other way it's win and in, lose and out.

I mean, The Bills are going to end up playing the Patriots on what was already a short week with basically no ability to prep for the game. The best thing you can say for the bills and Bengals as far as this all goes is they get 45 minutes less wear and tear on the athletes. Other than that It doesn't help either of them.