Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

ROLEX VISION posted:

the same people who pick jay-z as the greatest rapper are the same people who pick the wire or sopranos as the best tv show or godfather as the best film. it’s unimaginable and too much of a safe opinion.

Youre right

Space Ghost Coast to Coast is the best TV show and the best movie is Gymkata. Lol im sorry maybe you've never heard of REAL HIP HOP maybe I should introduce you to Shadow Klan, a literal backpack rapper who sold CD-Rs in Corktown for 16 years and never made it big because he's TOO REAL FOR THE MAINSTREAM.

Poohs Packin fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Jan 12, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROLEX VISION
Oct 3, 2014

dreams money can buy
good looking out b. i will check out ur recs. deffo.

ROLEX VISION
Oct 3, 2014

dreams money can buy
this thread should be about our collective hate for all things jay z but i will have to inject you with this little known fact that the actual greatest rapper and artist of all time is mostack.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

English people can't be rappers its just science like "oh wow you're fwum engwand bwuv"

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

ROLEX VISION posted:

the same people who pick jay-z as the greatest rapper are the same people who pick the wire or sopranos as the best tv show or godfather as the best film. it’s unimaginable and too much of a safe opinion.

you're not wrong but it's trite for a reason. they ARE legendary and have a lasting quality, and are deserved of their potentiality as "greatest". jay's not my pick but i don't lambast someone for it being theirs

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Jay-Z, The Godfather, and The Sopranos all own??

I mean they aren’t my favorites but they’re all v good.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
He's no lil peep

ROLEX VISION
Oct 3, 2014

dreams money can buy

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

you're not wrong but it's trite for a reason. they ARE legendary and have a lasting quality, and are deserved of their potentiality as "greatest". jay's not my pick but i don't lambast someone for it being theirs

no one is being lambasted. i would definitely put jay-z somewhere on my top 100 rappers list. but i’ve noticed that calling jay-z the greatest is kind a of self fulfilling prophecy. the more people repeat it, the more people believe it.

i just have a hard time putting him up so high because he’s put out way more mediocre music than good music. big part of being a good artist is having taste and curating what u put out.

i don’t really care if someone rates jay z or sopranos so high but just irl if i meet a person like that i just think ”bit bland and maybe they don’t know much about this subject. maybe they’re a redditor”. and then i move on to another subject.

ROLEX VISION fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jan 12, 2023

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I'd put Jay z in the top 20 rappers. Probably not the top ten?

But the wire IS the best tv show of all time and maybe if Jay z had acted in it as method man did he would be even better? Basically this:

ROLEX VISION posted:

i just have a hard time putting him up so high because he’s put out way more mediocre music than good music. big part of being a good artist is having taste and curating what u put out.

I feel like those who swear he's the greatest rapper alive probably haven't listened to a ton of rap? Not trying to throw shade or anything, I listened to plenty of Jay back in the day it's just he's definitely not even close to the best rapper.

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jan 12, 2023

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

Poohs Packin posted:

English people can't be rappers its just science like "oh wow you're fwum engwand bwuv"

They can if they pretend they are jamaican

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

We'll have one entire section labelled "for degenerates"

Poohs Packin posted:

I'm reminded of James May on Top Gear talking about Jay Zed and that Puffy Dad fellow.

ROLEX VISION
Oct 3, 2014

dreams money can buy
yeah because england is 100% white & middle class. what you're doing is erasing a huge part of a country and the last comments are v racist.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

lol a genuine “hmm yes I see, but have you considered that your milquetoast opinions not only reflect your poor understanding of the topic being discussed, but they also quite bore me” post lol

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
What is happening in this thread????

Jay Z gave me $15 to stop shaming his work on the forums so now Jay Z is okay. Not great, not terrible, just okay. For $10 that opinion could be upgraded, Jay.

ROLEX VISION
Oct 3, 2014

dreams money can buy

Chief McHeath posted:

lol a genuine “hmm yes I see, but have you considered that your milquetoast opinions not only reflect your poor understanding of the topic being discussed, but they also quite bore me” post lol

well have you ever discussed something with someone who clearly had no knowledge of a subject that you're passionate about? obv i don't think that entire person is boring (i mean they likely are but not entirely because of that) but it means that i don't want to talk about that subject with them.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Guys, Rolex Fishin' is right. I didn't read any of their posts but they wrote a shitload of words so they win. Sorry everyone.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

you're out of your element here LAP. you have no frame of reference

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

you're out of your element here LAP. you have no frame of reference

It's true. I just don't understand Britain, or rap, or uh....the sopranos....

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Literally A Person posted:

You boring, uncultured fucker!

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

you're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
who the gently caress cares abut jay-z in this day and age when the real hot topic is clown violence.

smdh

ROLEX VISION
Oct 3, 2014

dreams money can buy
just got the call. jay z hates us...

ROLEX VISION
Oct 3, 2014

dreams money can buy
rocnation is coming after everyone who posted negatively about jay z. the shooter is going to throw the roc diamond sign with his hands before shooting you.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

ROLEX VISION posted:

just got the call. jay z hates us...

gah!!!

ROLEX VISION
Oct 3, 2014

dreams money can buy
they are not sure how the shooter will manage it as the roc sign requires both hands but around 2005 the rapper camron was shot by a mysterious person who ”threw the roc sign”

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Everyone in this thread is like 35 with at least one kid and a mortgage

Just talk about the Pretty in Pink soundtrack or whatever you do.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

What is happening in this thread????

Jay Z gave me $15 to stop shaming his work on the forums so now Jay Z is okay. Not great, not terrible, just okay. For $10 that opinion could be upgraded, Jay.

I mean, after emphatically declaring that money ain't a thing, a $10 upgrade should be extra insignificant to him

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Piss Creep posted:

Everyone in this thread is like 35 with at least one kid and a mortgage

Just talk about the Pretty in Pink soundtrack or whatever you do.

Not sure how to break this to you but Jay is like 50

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Hey, lets hear it for New York

Bring it together guys.

Zero hate

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

n...no.....

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Jay-L

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

So he was making music when people ages 35 were young? And is still making music.

ROLEX VISION
Oct 3, 2014

dreams money can buy

Piss Creep posted:

So he was making music when people ages 35 were young? And is still making music.

yes he ages like wine.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Jay-Z should become a spokesman for La-z-boy and have his own furniture line called Jay-Z-Boy.

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

ROLEX VISION posted:

yes he ages like wine.

So only for rich people now, which he should be as one of the many rich rappers who are really just first pre now post internet influencers selling products and lifestyles.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

500k or dinner with jay-z? just remmeber hov founded an emprie and is a masterful buisineiuss man....

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Theres no difference between this or your workplaces boss or CEO making a lovely advertising TikTok

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vk6014HuxcE

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=je9RfCTnRnA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fk6KeM6TMJ8

Wee fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jan 12, 2023

ROLEX VISION
Oct 3, 2014

dreams money can buy

Piss Creep posted:

Theres no difference between this or your workplaces boss or CEO making a lovely advertising TikTok

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vk6014HuxcE

yes this song was actually comissioned by the governor of new york city for his birthday. "mommy took a bus trip, now she gotta buss out, now everybody ride her, just like a bus route" is actually a reference to the governor's baby mother.

edit: the lyrics are actually "mommy took a bus trip, now she got her bust out".

ROLEX VISION fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jan 12, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Poohs Packin posted:

English people be rhymin’ “oi” with “oi”

Oi oi oi oi oi, ellow mate