Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Top 3 votes are our April movies.
This poll is closed.
Ocean Waves 6 5.83%
Tokyo Godfathers 23 22.33%
My Sister Momoka 4 3.88%
Garden of Words 6 5.83%
Short Peace 2 1.94%
Interstella 5555: The 5tory of the 5ecret 5tar 5ystem 17 16.50%
Patema Imverted 6 5.83%
Yoyo and Nene 3 2.91%
the Little Witch Sisters 3 2.91%
The Tale of the Princess Kaguya 10 9.71%
Sailor Moon R 11 10.68%
Dragon Ball Super: Battle of the Gods 12 11.65%
Total: 45 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tylor's a really good show. its sort of half-remembered as just kind of funny but its genuinely good space adventure stuff too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

100% agreement with Big Leg, the end of the show really is special. perfect mood with star + tylor drinking together in the dark, decommed bridge. a lot of the little scenes with all the crew members getting invitations to rejoin are awesome too (helmsman, flyboy and the twins lol). excited to catch the ovas next

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

Endorph posted:

tylor's a really good show. its sort of half-remembered as just kind of funny but its genuinely good space adventure stuff too.

it's got a very kind heart for a show where 75% of the run time is a dude staring blankly into space while people around him go insane.

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
i'll probably watch the ovas sometime this week. is the 2017 show worth watching at all? it has incredibly bad numbers on mal and anilist, but it also looks like it would only take an hour to get through it.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I heard some people really disliked the Tylor OVAs and I’m curious to hear why.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Big Leg posted:

i'll probably watch the ovas sometime this week. is the 2017 show worth watching at all? it has incredibly bad numbers on mal and anilist, but it also looks like it would only take an hour to get through it.

The 2017 show has a 3.88 average rating on MAL. Even your average dogshit isekai gets above a 5, usually above a 6, so that should say a lot...

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

The 2017 stuff is real real bad. Like don't taint your memories bad.

I'll have the poll up tomorrow. I had a long weekend of soccer and work.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

wdarkk posted:

I heard some people really disliked the Tylor OVAs and I’m curious to hear why.

Gets creepy in the gross way a bit and also there's a pretty big tonal change in the latter half

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

Julias posted:

The 2017 show has a 3.88 average rating on MAL. Even your average dogshit isekai gets above a 5, usually above a 6, so that should say a lot...

yeah i've never seen something that low. figured i'd ask in case there's a gang of people who absolutely hate 5 minute shorts or something

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the shorts honestly barely had anything to do with the original anyway

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Got the results of the weekend anime poll and kinmoza + flowers of evil won together.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
I love a good show with an unalloyed Good message, that maybe peace is a good thing and societies need nonconformists in order to evolve and advance. (At first I couldn't figure whether Vice Admirals Statler and Waldorf were referring obliquely to evolution or a genuine sociological phenomenon among tribes of apes, but I guess it doesn't matter.)

Another underplayed but omnipresent thing I enjoyed about Tylor is that even while the conflict is portrayed as "republic vs. empire", the UP are hardly pure and are just as imperialistic at heart. (Note to myself: gotta rewatch LoGH too.) We really don't know anything about the governance of the UP; the highest-up the chain we see are the two admirals in charge of executing the war. But you can look at Mifune's old-school 'samurai' affectations and Fuji's ascendance due to being a careerist climber and understand well enough what sort of dynamics are at play.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I'm only on Ep 12 because..well no reason in particular but I do enjoy the show, I will continue watching it.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

:siren:

Can't reset a poll in a thread so here is the next poll:

https://take.supersurvey.com/poll4723309x78864cB8-147

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Big Leg posted:

it's got a very kind heart for a show where 75% of the run time is a dude staring blankly into space while people around him go insane.
it is Openly Irresponsible, but secretly sweet and earnest.

Fluffdaddy posted:

:siren:

Can't reset a poll in a thread so here is the next poll:

https://take.supersurvey.com/poll4723309x78864cB8-147
you forgot the best XXX3 show, Brain Powerd. I voted majestic prince because i heard absolutely nothing about it before playing SRW30, but only under protest.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*
the other choices are pretty popular that most voters probably already watched it, so Majestic Prince is not a surprising frontrunner atm

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

GateOfD posted:

the other choices are pretty popular that most voters probably already watched it, so Majestic Prince is not a surprising frontrunner atm
Brain Powerd :mad:

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

mark my words we will watch the kinmoza + gj-bu ticket this year!

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Looks like we will be watching Kino's Journey aka Kino no Tabi

From MaL:

quote:

Kino, a 15-year-old traveler, forms a bond with Hermes, a talking motorcycle. Together, they wander the lands and venture through various countries and places, despite having no clear idea of what to expect. After all, life is a journey filled with the unknown.

Throughout their journeys, they encounter different kinds of customs, from the morally gray to tragic and fascinating. They also meet many people: some who live to work, some who live to make others happy, and some who live to chase their dreams. Thus, in every country they visit, there is always something to learn from the way people carry out their lives.

It is not up to Kino or Hermes to decide whether these asserted values are wrong or right, as they merely assume the roles of observers within this small world. They do not attempt to change or influence the places they visit, despite how absurd these values would appear. That's because in one way or another, they believe things are fine as they are, and that "the world is not beautiful; therefore, it is."

It is only 13 episodes so the watch schedule is:

March 1-5: Episodes 1
March 6-12: Episodes 2-4
March 13-19: 5-7
March 20-26: 8-10
March 27-31: 11-13

Edit: Oops,

It is available on HiDive, if you go through Prime in the US Here:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/video/detail/B09W67KX66/ref=atv_dp_sign_suc_3P

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Also I just learned I had the ability to strip polls from a thread and add a new one from the Admin panel, so no more dodgy 3rd party sites next month.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

this is the 2017 remake. not as good

2003 was on hidive but looks like its expired so not streaming anywhere

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Tales of Woe posted:

this is the 2017 remake. not as good

2003 was on hidive but looks like its expired so not streaming anywhere

Ah poo poo...

Well, if you have HiDive through Amazon Prime, you can watch it there:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/video/detail/B09W67KX66/ref=atv_dp_sign_suc_3P

Edit: This is the dub only.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Here is episode 1 on BiliBili as well:

https://www.bilibili.tv/en/video/2009559471

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Kino's Journey is a fun romp, especially from the perspective of someone who has never watched it before.

I also love the OP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHKdKMaNg-c

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

happy we got kinos journey, it owns a lot. april fools is my birthday and i would love to be watching brain powered to celebrate it though :) an all time favourite show!!!

watched episode 1 of kino again. love the pace. they just dont make em like this no more

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

I rewatched kino's recently so I won't be participating but it's a great show and I hope any new viewers enjoy it!

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

We will be watching kinmoza in april

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Paper Lion posted:

happy we got kinos journey, it owns a lot. april fools is my birthday and i would love to be watching brain powered to celebrate it though :) an all time favourite show!!!

watched episode 1 of kino again. love the pace. they just dont make em like this no more

greetings fellow brain powerd liker

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Is anyone watching kinos journey?

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Namtab posted:

i was going to, but it's on my list of accessible stuff to read once i get further along in studying japanese and i wanted to save it for that

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Namtab posted:

I watched it years ago I think that counts

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Namtab posted:

im rewatching it but i was waiting for someone else to say something lol

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

we should have voted for kinmoza

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

I binged like 5 episodes the night before but work has my number this month. New job ftw

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
i wasn't planning on watching it but maybe i'll give it a shot still since it's only 13 episodes

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
did i torrent something weird or are there actually cool crt scanlines over everything?

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
The CRT filter is intentional, yeah.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Big Leg posted:

did i torrent something weird or are there actually cool crt scanlines over everything?
yeah thats one of the directorial decisions. same director as lain if that explains the vibes

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
that rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Time to nominate for April. I'll make sure I use the right poll this time