Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Top 3 votes are our April movies.
This poll is closed.
Ocean Waves 6 5.83%
Tokyo Godfathers 23 22.33%
My Sister Momoka 4 3.88%
Garden of Words 6 5.83%
Short Peace 2 1.94%
Interstella 5555: The 5tory of the 5ecret 5tar 5ystem 17 16.50%
Patema Imverted 6 5.83%
Yoyo and Nene 3 2.91%
the Little Witch Sisters 3 2.91%
The Tale of the Princess Kaguya 10 9.71%
Sailor Moon R 11 10.68%
Dragon Ball Super: Battle of the Gods 12 11.65%
Total: 45 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

Big Leg posted:

twins being badass pilots

Just an underplayed aspect of the series is just how low-key hosed up the United Planets are that they have 15-year olds who, despite (or perhaps because of) being children of a deeply respected admiral, get to go be two out of three fighter pilots in live firefights for an underequipped, antiquated, and outgunned warship on behalf of a faceless war machine, after just a few hours in a simulator proving their genius. Very Tomino-esque, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
I love a good show with an unalloyed Good message, that maybe peace is a good thing and societies need nonconformists in order to evolve and advance. (At first I couldn't figure whether Vice Admirals Statler and Waldorf were referring obliquely to evolution or a genuine sociological phenomenon among tribes of apes, but I guess it doesn't matter.)

Another underplayed but omnipresent thing I enjoyed about Tylor is that even while the conflict is portrayed as "republic vs. empire", the UP are hardly pure and are just as imperialistic at heart. (Note to myself: gotta rewatch LoGH too.) We really don't know anything about the governance of the UP; the highest-up the chain we see are the two admirals in charge of executing the war. But you can look at Mifune's old-school 'samurai' affectations and Fuji's ascendance due to being a careerist climber and understand well enough what sort of dynamics are at play.