Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Top 3 votes are our April movies.
This poll is closed.
Ocean Waves 6 5.83%
Tokyo Godfathers 23 22.33%
My Sister Momoka 4 3.88%
Garden of Words 6 5.83%
Short Peace 2 1.94%
Interstella 5555: The 5tory of the 5ecret 5tar 5ystem 17 16.50%
Patema Imverted 6 5.83%
Yoyo and Nene 3 2.91%
the Little Witch Sisters 3 2.91%
The Tale of the Princess Kaguya 10 9.71%
Sailor Moon R 11 10.68%
Dragon Ball Super: Battle of the Gods 12 11.65%
Total: 45 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

So for the next 12 months, I would like to do an anime rewatch club here in ADTRW. However, the theme of this is going to be 30-20-10. This means we will be watching an anime every month that premiered 30, 20 or 10 years ago (2013, 2003, 1993).

At the end of each month, we will take nominees for the next anime on the list. The show can be from any season in any of those three years no matter the month.

I would like to limit this to shows that are a MAXIMUM of 26 episodes. I would also like to limit it to things that are easy for all of us to find.

So for January, we will be watching Wolf's Rain

MAL Description:

quote:

In a dying world, there exists an ancient legend: when the world ends, the gateway to paradise will be opened. This utopia is the sole salvation for the remnants of life in this barren land, but the legend also dictates that only wolves can find their way to this mythical realm. Though long thought to be extinct, wolves still exist and live amongst humans, disguising themselves through elaborate illusions.

A lone wolf named Kiba finds himself drawn by an intoxicating scent to Freeze City, an impoverished town under the rule of the callous Lord Orkham. Here, Kiba discovers that wolves Hige, Tsume, and Toboe have been drawn in by the same aroma. By following the fragrance of "Lunar Flowers," said to be the key to opening the door to their ideal world, the wolves set off on a journey across desolate landscapes and crumbling cities to find their legendary promised land. However, they are not the only ones seeking paradise, and those with more sinister intentions will do anything in their power to reach it first.

This is available on Crunchy Roll and Funimation, in the US.

Watch Schedule:

26 episodes so 7ish eps a week but no strict time table. If it helps people keep up I will suggest:

January 2-8: Eps 1-7
January 9-15: Eps 8-14
January 16-22: Eps 15-21
January 23-29: Eps 22-26

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Cat-shaped Witch posted:

oh god do we have to talk to each other?

On the forums, about anime, yes!

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

God, what an illustration of just how much fuckin anime there is now. 1993 is like barren and everything is a year long, 2003 has an alright amount, and 2013 just baaaarfs this massive list.

I almost went back to 83, but there were very few, very long shows. Plus I was only a year old then.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Southern Cassowary posted:

Down for this - is there going to be a timeline for when we watch episodes by, or is it freeform discussion?

Freeform, since the shows will vary in length.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

TenementFunster posted:

all i remember is that it was exceptionally boring. virtually everyone who stuck through it was also a committed furry

Glad we wont have you along to poo poo up this thread while we watch it then!

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Ohtori Akio posted:

so is there a watch schedule or something for this

26 episodes so 7ish eps a week but no strict time table. If it helps people keep up I will suggest:

January 2-8: Eps 1-7
January 9-15: Eps 8-14
January 16-22: Eps 15-21
January 23-29: Eps 22-26

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

I am almost through the first seven episodes and it's extremely 2003. Very melancholy with a lot of mysterious unexplained poo poo happening. It definitely relishes its slow pace since it had 2 cours to work with.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Yea the Yoko Kanno ost is strong as hell. Also I am behind a bit but am finding it just a pleasant quiet watch.

I'll have more to say when I finish it Monday

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Also it's time to start taking nominees for February

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

I'll stick a poll up when I get home.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Poll for February is up

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Looks like the winner is Captain Tylor! It is on Crunchy Roll in the US:

From Crunchyroll's description:

Justy Ueki Tylor had his life all planned out: join the military, get a cushy desk job, and then retire with a big fat pension check. The perfect plan…until he wandered into a hostage situation and somehow managed to save an Admiral!

Now Tylor, a man who wouldn’t know what discipline was if it bit him in the backside, has been made Captain of the space cruiser Soyokaze! The crew of this run–down ship is the craziest, rag–tag team of misfits you’re ever likely to see, and they’re not too fond of their complacent new leader. But they had better learn to work together, because they’re about to go head to head with the mighty Raalgon Empire! For better or for worse, the Earth’s fate has been placed in the hands of a man who’s either a total idiot, or an absolute genius...

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Since its a short month, the viewing schedule is:

Episodes 1-4 (Feb 1st-5th)
Episodes 5-11 (Feb 6th-12th)
Episodes 12-19 (Feb 13th-19th)
Episodes 20-26 (Feb 20th-26th)

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

I have 6 episodes left myself. I love the doctor being in his 30s but having the voice of an old man. Sounds like King Kai, specifically.

One thing I miss about old anime is that the show is given plenty of time to breathe. The pace allows for the comedy of each episode to be drawn out. I think my favorite so far is the episode where Harumi finally tries to kill Tylor.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

BTW it is time to nominate for March. Please have your nominations in by Saturday and we will vote over the weekend.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

The 2017 stuff is real real bad. Like don't taint your memories bad.

I'll have the poll up tomorrow. I had a long weekend of soccer and work.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

:siren:

Can't reset a poll in a thread so here is the next poll:

https://take.supersurvey.com/poll4723309x78864cB8-147

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Looks like we will be watching Kino's Journey aka Kino no Tabi

From MaL:

quote:

Kino, a 15-year-old traveler, forms a bond with Hermes, a talking motorcycle. Together, they wander the lands and venture through various countries and places, despite having no clear idea of what to expect. After all, life is a journey filled with the unknown.

Throughout their journeys, they encounter different kinds of customs, from the morally gray to tragic and fascinating. They also meet many people: some who live to work, some who live to make others happy, and some who live to chase their dreams. Thus, in every country they visit, there is always something to learn from the way people carry out their lives.

It is not up to Kino or Hermes to decide whether these asserted values are wrong or right, as they merely assume the roles of observers within this small world. They do not attempt to change or influence the places they visit, despite how absurd these values would appear. That's because in one way or another, they believe things are fine as they are, and that "the world is not beautiful; therefore, it is."

It is only 13 episodes so the watch schedule is:

March 1-5: Episodes 1
March 6-12: Episodes 2-4
March 13-19: 5-7
March 20-26: 8-10
March 27-31: 11-13

Edit: Oops,

It is available on HiDive, if you go through Prime in the US Here:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/video/detail/B09W67KX66/ref=atv_dp_sign_suc_3P

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Also I just learned I had the ability to strip polls from a thread and add a new one from the Admin panel, so no more dodgy 3rd party sites next month.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Tales of Woe posted:

this is the 2017 remake. not as good

2003 was on hidive but looks like its expired so not streaming anywhere

Ah poo poo...

Well, if you have HiDive through Amazon Prime, you can watch it there:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/video/detail/B09W67KX66/ref=atv_dp_sign_suc_3P

Edit: This is the dub only.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Here is episode 1 on BiliBili as well:

https://www.bilibili.tv/en/video/2009559471

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

I binged like 5 episodes the night before but work has my number this month. New job ftw

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Time to nominate for April. I'll make sure I use the right poll this time

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Sounds good to me. Let's here some movies and the top 3 we will watch next month

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Poll added. We will let it go til Sunday

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

So the winners are:

Tokyo Godfathers
Interstella 5555: The 5tory of the 5ecret 5tar 5ystem
DragonBall: Battle of the God's

So this week we will watch Tokyo Godfathers:

This is actually free to watch subtitled in the US on YouTube!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-HWzDCQr58

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

I will be finally watching myself this evening after work, pretty amped

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

I just finished this movie. What a fun time! The language is a little...rough but the three main characters are all real sweet and there's a lot of humanity underneath how over the top the plot is.

There's a lot in common with yakuza like a dragon and his origin story too I realized