Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Top 3 votes are our April movies.
This poll is closed.
Ocean Waves 6 5.83%
Tokyo Godfathers 23 22.33%
My Sister Momoka 4 3.88%
Garden of Words 6 5.83%
Short Peace 2 1.94%
Interstella 5555: The 5tory of the 5ecret 5tar 5ystem 17 16.50%
Patema Imverted 6 5.83%
Yoyo and Nene 3 2.91%
the Little Witch Sisters 3 2.91%
The Tale of the Princess Kaguya 10 9.71%
Sailor Moon R 11 10.68%
Dragon Ball Super: Battle of the Gods 12 11.65%
Total: 45 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

wolf's rain is cool. its a bit sleepy in spots and the show isnt quite as smart as it thinks it is but it still establishes a neat and memorable mood.

irresponsible captain tylor (1993) would be my pick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the animation is best described as picking its spots, theres a lot of moments where its pretty stiff but it really comes alive at times and it rules

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

for a 2013 anime i nominate the eccentric family

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tylor's a really good show. its sort of half-remembered as just kind of funny but its genuinely good space adventure stuff too.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the shorts honestly barely had anything to do with the original anyway

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Namtab posted:

Is anyone watching kinos journey?
im rewatching it but i was waiting for someone else to say something lol

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Big Leg posted:

did i torrent something weird or are there actually cool crt scanlines over everything?
yeah thats one of the directorial decisions. same director as lain if that explains the vibes

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah kino 2003 has some really striking aesthetics. im not sure if its part of this but i recommend the 2007 country of illness movie too, they got most of the staff back for that so its got some neat imagery. given the sickness theme they just dye the whole thing in matrix green but it kind of owns

the whole 'the world is still beautiful theme' really comes across in the slapdash tone and how things go up and down, its neat

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Big Leg posted:

whoa there's a tournament arc
it owns because its such a change of pace

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

there's a bunch of episodes with great punchlines, the tournament arc has a good one too. 'Sorry, I don't hang out with angsty guys with dogs.'

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

kino itself kind of changed as a series over time. for starters just look at how kino's design has changed lol

same artist to be clear, but the vibes are pretty different in a number of ways

and the coloseum arc was extremely popular so the author tried to incorporate more action going forward

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the last ep owns, enjoy friend

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the 2017 version is pretty different. as i said it treats the material differently in terms of being a more straightforward adaptation, but also it has episodes focused on two other travelers, shizu from the colosseum arc and kino's teacher when she was younger. kino's teacher is generally more of a vagabond or outlaw than just a traveler and shizu is, as established in the colosseum arc, a jrpg protagonist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the language can be a little rough but at the end of the day its still a movie that treats a homeless trans woman with a lot of humanity and warmth lol