Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Top 3 votes are our April movies.
This poll is closed.
Ocean Waves 6 5.83%
Tokyo Godfathers 23 22.33%
My Sister Momoka 4 3.88%
Garden of Words 6 5.83%
Short Peace 2 1.94%
Interstella 5555: The 5tory of the 5ecret 5tar 5ystem 17 16.50%
Patema Imverted 6 5.83%
Yoyo and Nene 3 2.91%
the Little Witch Sisters 3 2.91%
The Tale of the Princess Kaguya 10 9.71%
Sailor Moon R 11 10.68%
Dragon Ball Super: Battle of the Gods 12 11.65%
Total: 45 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Endorph posted:

and the coloseum arc was extremely popular so the author tried to incorporate more action going forward

The Colosseum arc is actually in both anime, which makes it interesting as a comparison.

In the original anime, things are changed from the novel to flesh out the city, and to make us feel that Kino's decision was morally fair. She makes her final decision to protect the innocent and punish the guilty.

In the novel and the second anime, by contrast, it's an act of pure spite. Kino's pissed about being sent into a trap, and takes her revenge on everyone remotely involved, then kind of kicked herself in a subdued way about how taking revenge revenge was dumb, and also how she'd basically got played to set up this whole thing.

Original Anime Kino was often presented as a "normal" figure in comparison to the strange places she visited, but novel and new anime Kino is more shaped by circumstances to be as strange as her world. 2003 Kino's supposed to be the hero, so her more questionable actions feel odd. Meanwhile, 2017 Kino is weird (her backstory episode comes much later) so her doing morally shady stuff is just "Yep. Kino would do that, wouldn't she?"

(Also, fun fact. One of the VAs in the final episode would go on to voice Kino in the remake series.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Clarste posted:

I wouldn't say 2003 Kino was "normal." Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but as I recall she had this strict code of conduct forcing her to be as detached and nonjudgmental as humanly possible, usually acting only in self-defense. Being such an impassive observer to such extreme circumstances is hardly normal.

Edit: For example, the cannibal slavers thing from early on is absolutely pretty horrific, but she doesn't actually plan to do anything about it until they attack her too.

I didn't mean she was normal, as much as that the show presented her as (relatively) normal. She's still the same character as in the books or later show from her actions most of the time, but the presentation puts more emphasis on how Kino's positions line up with the viewer against the world, and less on where the viewer would conflict with Kino as compared to other versions of the story.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

DNE posted:

I liked the Colosseum arc a lot, because like - in that kind of story, you're expecting it to be some sort of neat poetic justice, some final resolution to it, and instead she just decides to drat the whole place. The one time Kino decides to intervene, and she does it as messily as possible.

The one that's stuck with me most is "A Tale of Feeding off of Others", though.

I'm a big fan, so thanks to everyone that watched it.

As I said, the 2003 anime did a lot to soften Kino's approach to the Colosseum. We both saw more of the innocents suffering, and had Kino do more to make it some kind of heroic societal reform (through bloodshed) rather than "gently caress all y'all".

Another point of comparison with 2017's setup is that it had a... less tragic world? A less broken one?

In 2003, almost every country Kino went to was doomed, mad, or both. (The land of wizards episode is a bit of an exception, in addition to being another time Kino intervenes, but I'll set it aside for now to simplify my thoughts). The world was beautiful, but also tragic. Kino is a traveler by nature, but until the end, it almost seems to come easy, since there's nowhere that feels like it could be a home.

2017's structure, meanwhile, has a city where Kino could, if she chose, retire and live happily very early on, but that episode also puts more emphasis on the theme it plays with through the episode ordering, where Kino's nature is more of a question presented to the viewer. We see her at the Colosseum, we see her treated as a peer by very dangerous people, and we see other travelers take their own approaches to the world that differ from Kino's. It's not as strong a throughline, but by moving the explanation for Kino's history to near the end, and moving other stories earlier, it presents Kino as a question to be answered, rather than as our traveling companion and anchor of relative normalcy in the titular journeys.