Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Top 3 votes are our April movies.
This poll is closed.
Ocean Waves 6 5.83%
Tokyo Godfathers 23 22.33%
My Sister Momoka 4 3.88%
Garden of Words 6 5.83%
Short Peace 2 1.94%
Interstella 5555: The 5tory of the 5ecret 5tar 5ystem 17 16.50%
Patema Imverted 6 5.83%
Yoyo and Nene 3 2.91%
the Little Witch Sisters 3 2.91%
The Tale of the Princess Kaguya 10 9.71%
Sailor Moon R 11 10.68%
Dragon Ball Super: Battle of the Gods 12 11.65%
Total: 45 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
can't believe Wolf's Rain came out ten years ago! wow, it doesn't feel that long at all!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Sleng Teng posted:

I don’t remember anything about wolfs rain except for some basic imagery, but I have a soft spot for early 2000s shows so I’m down. I do remember that it shares some musical dna with gits sac, I think they share a vocalist, so I’m looking forward to experiencing that again.
all i remember is that it was exceptionally boring. virtually everyone who stuck through it was also a committed furry

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Fluffdaddy posted:

Glad we wont have you along to poo poo up this thread while we watch it then!
very excited for the possibility of Captain Tylor tho. great show and criminally underappreciated even with the recent retro anime boom!

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Anime has a tendency to form bubbles that burst. There was a poo poo ton of anime in the 80s before the bubble burst with every lovely manga getting at least an OVA. 1993 was still a period of time where the anime industry hadn't really recovered yet. There was also a bubble burst in 2008, where it took a few years before there was shows being made again.
1993 was probably the first season where the full effects of the crash were felt in anime production. a lot of funding just vanished. thankfully Patlabor 2 (arguably the last "80's" Bubble Economy Unlimited Budget Movie) was far enough along in production by the time the bottom fell out. not a surprise that nearly everything else that came out that year were big franchises like DBZ, Doraemon, Crayon Shin-Chan, Sailor Moon, LOGH, and Gundam.

brutal stuff. the Nikkei 225 is still lower than it was in 1990.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

DemonDarkhorse posted:

yoko kanno was the music producer?director?composer? for both wolf's rain and GITS. she essentially can do no wrong.

i still have this series on DVD. the dub is pretty amazing.
Maaya Sakamoto did the ED, Steve Conte did the OP, and I know Mai Yamane down there somewhere. That's the Kanno Krew

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Fluffdaddy posted:

Also it's time to start taking nominees for February
gotta be The Irresponsible Captain Tylor or Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Fluffdaddy posted:

Looks like the winner is Captain Tylor! It is on Crunchy Roll in the US:

From Crunchyroll's description:

Justy Ueki Tylor had his life all planned out: join the military, get a cushy desk job, and then retire with a big fat pension check. The perfect plan…until he wandered into a hostage situation and somehow managed to save an Admiral!

Now Tylor, a man who wouldn’t know what discipline was if it bit him in the backside, has been made Captain of the space cruiser Soyokaze! The crew of this run–down ship is the craziest, rag–tag team of misfits you’re ever likely to see, and they’re not too fond of their complacent new leader. But they had better learn to work together, because they’re about to go head to head with the mighty Raalgon Empire! For better or for worse, the Earth’s fate has been placed in the hands of a man who’s either a total idiot, or an absolute genius...
hell yes this show rules and everyone should watch it. one of the most underappreciated classics of its era.

the op is such a bop, and does a cute job of breaking the "4th wall" of animation
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8W7eF49xv4
please do not listen to the dub. it is awful even by lazy, cheap 90s standards

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Southern Cassowary posted:

ep 1: did this mf just turn an ai sentient with the power of his dumbass flirting

this absolutely seems like a fun time
lmao it is madcap hijinx throughout

e: i forgot how good and very "90s anime" the BGM sounds

TenementFunster fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Feb 3, 2023

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
love the enemy agents disguised as anti-war revolutionary peaceniks in ep2. i forgot how quickly they introduce the supporting cast!

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Big Leg posted:

i think the twins are my favorites so far; they're the only ones 100% down with tylor's stupid poo poo

Big Leg posted:

the communications officer appears to be voiced by misato
Kotono Mitsuishi rules. she's in hybrid usagi-misato performance in this and has such a nice range that i forgot she voices both (and haro in Gundam SEED lol).

TenementFunster fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Feb 7, 2023

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Sleng Teng posted:

This Tylor guy seems like he’s going places, a real go-getter.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

wdarkk posted:

They need to put Tylor into the next Super Robot Wars.
finally, a no-kill playthrough option where you just recruit all the enemy grunts and accidentally make the enemy commander fall in love with you

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

kirbysuperstar posted:

Up to ep4, which perfectly highlight's Tyler as a person

also the entire slayers crew is here and that makes me laugh
Maria: yes
Megumi: ???

edit: oh, no

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Big Leg posted:

the animation looked so good

Endorph posted:

the animation is best described as [...] it rules

Tales of Woe posted:

the main thing i remember about tylor production wise is that the art direction is really vivid and good and stood out compared to other early 90s tv stuff i've seen.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

Very Tomino-esque, really.
rofl goddamn, you're right! it's just 0079 except a put-upon Bright is second-in-command to Wacky Hijinx

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Big Leg posted:

the ost also rules, if i didn't say that yet. especially the jazzy horn stuff or the pieces that sound like they're played with casio keyboard tone 142 - military choir oohs
it's been so long that I forgot that the ost is fantastic. all the BGM is Very Irresponsible.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Sakurazuka posted:

Brain Powered
:haibrow:

it has, without a doubt, yoko kanno’s most yoko kanno OST. the yoko kannoest OST. yoko kannost.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Big Leg posted:

it's got a very kind heart for a show where 75% of the run time is a dude staring blankly into space while people around him go insane.
it is Openly Irresponsible, but secretly sweet and earnest.

Fluffdaddy posted:

:siren:

Can't reset a poll in a thread so here is the next poll:

https://take.supersurvey.com/poll4723309x78864cB8-147
you forgot the best XXX3 show, Brain Powerd. I voted majestic prince because i heard absolutely nothing about it before playing SRW30, but only under protest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

GateOfD posted:

the other choices are pretty popular that most voters probably already watched it, so Majestic Prince is not a surprising frontrunner atm
Brain Powerd :mad: