Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
On Brawling, by Sebmojo:

brawling what so someone said something mean and your bottom lip is doing that quivery thing and you feel like you can't go a single second more without punching a motherfucker? thunderdome has just the thing.

you can't fight here it's the Thunderdome when two people hate each other very much, and one of them is you, you get to slap down a challenge. make it big, make it brassy; you're slapping your sex bits down on the bar, try and make 'em bounce a little.

help someone's slapped me with something help accepting brawl challenges isn't required, but if you like to sling the poo poo around (and you should) then failing to back up your bad words with good ones will be remembered. brawl stories are good, being able to beat someone you're mad at is better.

how does it work? once you've thrown down a challenge, and had it accepted, a brawl judge will step up just like that weird bartender in The Shining. they'll give you a prompt, a word count and a deadline. they'll also, and this is real important, state the :toxx: this means if you fail to submit by the deadline then you get banned. the judge doesn't need to give you an extension.

what do you mean banned brawl toxxes are obligatory. if you're actually a literal secret agent and you've just discovered you're parachuting into Syria in two hours time then get on Discord, snivel at your judge and maybe they'll remove the :toxx: from the prompt, but expect that to be a one-time mercy if you gently caress it up.

anything else? don't challenge anyone until you've done a few rounds, good grudges take time to fester, don't step up to judge a brawl unless you've at least got an HM or the participants have asked you to, and declining a random drive-by brawl is more acceptable than one with a grudge behind it. this place runs on words, and hatred, and you gotta fuel the fire.

brawl judges, don't grab brawls if you don't have a prompt ready and don't be dicks; what matters is whose story is best, don't gently caress around.

is that it yes, fight well you horrible monsters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
I'm in

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
:siren: important Thunderdome post :siren:

Hi there! I thought it was time to have a chat with the thread. As we can see, there haven't been too many signups or submissions. I know that our typical pool of regular contributors gets busy, and anyway Thunderdome shouldn't really rely on the same handful of people entering again and again. I want to systemically work on mitigating this, but I have an important question, particularly for lurkers or folks who don't sign up much (though anyone is welcome to answer):

Would you sign up more if the losertar was optional?

Please limit answers to the scope this specific question. There is a lot to talk about in terms of what could be done to re-invigorate this contest, but right now I would like to sincerely know if the losertar is an impediment to entry!

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
Hey guys! At the beginning of the year, we said we were going to create a companion thread for Thunderdome to create a space for more chat and support. Then we didn't do that. Why? Because it was a fiddly thing that was easy to backburner. The thread exists now. Everyone is welcome, whether you are a lurker, a newb, a seasoned vet, or someone just sort of interested in talking about things tangentially related to the Thunderdome flash fiction contest.

Here is the thread.

To get discussion going over there, I would really like to raise the following question: What would be a fun interforum inter-forum activity or contest? With the goal being to bring more people to Thunderdome, or CC on a whole.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
Since I know most people stick to their bookmarks, I'm going to spam the busier threads with a link to the CC feedback thread

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
crossposting from the sidebar thread:

Sitting Here posted:

I wanted to bring a discussion from Discord to this thread since not everyone does Discord.

In a nutshell, there's been an ongoing discussion about whether or not TD should move away from losses/dishonorable mentions. Where folks seem to have landed is that it makes the most sense to let the judges decide whether or not they want to have DMs/Losers, and if the culture shifts away from negative mentions, then that's that.

It was suggested by a few people that judges might want to indicate in the prompt post whether or not they intend to give DMs/losses. This isn't going to be made into a "rule", as such, but I think it would be helpful in determining whether people are more likely to enter if a loss isn't on the table. I guess if enough people do it then it de facto becomes a rule, and future OPs would reflect that.

For my part, I'm leaving this open to the community. TD belongs to everyone. Just wanted to make sure folks who aren't in Discord know what has been on the table for discussion.

head on over there if you wanna talk about it

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
rivetz did you mean signups :v:

There is a NaNoWriMo thread for those who are interested in participating!

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
:siren: Important Reminder :siren:

Do you plan on publishing a story? Consider editing any stories out of the thread if you want to publish them elsewhere. Some publishers might view SA as "prior publication", which can disqualify your story from publication. That said, if you know you aren't going to publish, please consider leaving your stories in the thread for future readthroughs! Believe it or not, people actually lurk these threads for fun.

For those wondering, stories on the archive aren't viewable without an account. It's also worth mentioning that to my knowledge there haven't been any instances where a publisher rejected a story because of its previous appearance in Thunderdome—though if this has happened to you please tell us about that experience!

Also the thread is now open for any last sentiments for the year 2023. New stuff will go in a new thread, which is being coordinated presently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
The 2024 thread is live!

The new prompt and any entries and/or submissions will go there. Feel free to use this thread to discuss 2023, or Thunderdome in general.