Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
2023ee Leaderboards
The past is dead. The future is now.

Ye Olde Leaderboards

Tyrannosaurus fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Jan 7, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
In

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
and a flash pls tyvm

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
In

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
if i can manage not to gently caress this up
1539 words

Archived.

Tyrannosaurus fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jan 2, 2024

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006

Week 580: Now Hero Clowns is My Best Friend

Absolute dumb fucks love to bitch about the “War on Christmas” but neeeever point out that Christmas is 100% the aggressor. Last year, I saw Christmas supplies in stores at the beginning of November. November! And in its unending quest for holiday domination, it has begun pushing the so-called “lesser” days up, as well. No doubt, you’ve already spotted a Spirit Halloween nesting in whatever office supply or clothing store recently closed and bringing with it its most boring, stupid, and insipid children: the scary clowns.

People that like scary clowns are the same people that jerk off to tumblr posts about beloved children’s shows actually being the dying fever dreams of the main character in a coma. Woww so smart, so clever, so edgy, something meant for kids is actually s p o o k y wooow. Stupid. Well, since this thread is definitively the best thread on this dying comedy forum that was once the zeitgeist of the internet and since I am in charge of it for the next week, you, my writers, shall be tools in combating this personal grievance and specific cultural abomination.

Write about hero clowns.

That. Is. It.

And I’m not talking about metaphorically either. No class clowns. No funny people just making funny jokes. I’m talking about paint, talking about silly clothes, maybe some gags, literal loving clowns, okay? And they can be doing regular clown stuff: circuses, birthday parties, rodeos, whatever. That’s fine. But if they’re not, you do not have to explain why. If Tinkles is a gritty, civil rights attorney fighting for the freedom of a wrongly convicted person of color or if Hicky Hiccup is a streetwise skateboarder turned snowboarder who is gonna save the ski resort town from the mean rich man by beating his mean rich son in a race, I don’t need to know why they are also a clown -- they just have to be one.

And they gotta be heroic.

1500 words due Sunday at midnight EST. Sign ups close midnight, Friday, same time zone.

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
judges
me

writers
Chairchucker - Flash: Chef
The Cut of Your Jib
Slightly Lions - Flash: Locksmith
Thranguy - Flash: Miner
Antivehicular - Flash: Horticulturalist
Bad Seafood
Hawklad
rivetz

Tyrannosaurus fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Sep 16, 2023

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
oh and if you want a flash rule I guess I can give you a profession idk

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006

Chairchucker posted:

Hello please flash me

Chef

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006

Locksmith

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006

Thranguy posted:

In and flash

Miner

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006

Horticulturalist

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
Submissions are closed

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
Thranguy wins.

Hawklad and Slightly Lions HM.

Proper crits will come tomorrow-ish.

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006

Albatrossy_Rodent posted:

Tyrannosaurus!

When you posted heroic clown results, you said "crits tomorrowish" and yet, almost a week later, there are still no crits.

I will not let this injustice stand. I challenge you to a brawl, with an added wager: if you win, I must also crit the heroic clown stories. If I win, on top of the regular crits, you shall also write linecrits for the winning and HMing stories.

Will you die in glorious combat, or are you a coward?

Proverbs 11:2.

Yeah, I'm happy to gift you some wisdom.

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
:toxx:

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006

Chili posted:

Ok knuckle buckers.

I have been sad for a while. And it's mainly because nothing worked out like I thought it would.

One of you will handle my problem head on and the other will distract me.

Claim what you want, and whoever doesn't get here first gets the other.

1. Write a story where nothing works out for your protag. Maybe they learn from that, maybe they don't. Maybe they cope, maybe they hurt people. I don't care, but nothing works out.

2. Write a story where everything works out for your protag. Maybe they earned it, maybe they luck their way in. Maybe it's a result of privilege, maybe not. I don't care, but it all works out.

You each have until like two Fridays from now to submit a story of up to 2000 words.

O Che Vita Capricciosa!

Archived.

Tyrannosaurus fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jan 2, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
Week 589: Hero Clowns Crits

The Cut of Your Jib
I like this more today than I did when I was originally judging. Quite a bit more. The plot itself is simple: they dressed as clowns to raise (awareness for a dinner that is raising) money for the women's shelter. But it is very soft, ethereal writing. Strange but believable weirdo characters. If a studio was to adapt this for the screen, it would be A24.

The opening paragraph is strong but I think it needs a tweak (or the story needs a tweak) to connect it better to the rest of the piece. I wonder if it was your jumping off point for writing but the story changed as you kept going. In any case, it feels just a bit off.

Albatrossy Rodent
Almost always, it is a great pleasure to read your writing and this is no exception. I really only have one note and it's one that I think I've given you before and if I haven't then I've certainly thought it in my head: I'd like to see you be more dedicated to the sincerity of your story. I love the wild and wonderful whimsy, I love the silly outlandishness, but I think you could improve tremendously by finding and maintaining a level of internal reality. Figure out what the rules of your world are and stick to them. The movie Airplane works because all of the actors treat the script like it is a serious drama. Sure they are having a ton of fun but no one is winking at the audience, no one is saying, hey, I'm in on the joke, too. There's so many good bits in this ("I'm not haunted. I'm enchanted", "legally speaking, we are children") but Nethergong's dialogue doesn't really fit. Go all in on making him an actual demon. As is, he feels too much like a wink to the audience - like, hey, it's me, the writer, this is silly but a little clever right?

rivetz
Fantasy flash fiction is hard. You don't have the luxury of spending time and words world building. You squeeze a lot into 1500 words. But I'm left with many questions and this would undoubtedly be improved if you had a larger word count where you could really stretch your legs.

Also, not a huge fan of the ending. It's a pet peeve and not necessarily great advice but I don't like "and this is where the real adventure begins" endings because that's where I would want the story to begin. Have the confidence to end your story.

Or don't. I'm just one judge.

Slightly Lions
Fun, interesting heist that adheres to the prompt while building a solid world. The tie-in to make them "heroes" was a bit of a stretch and kinda stitched in there at the end but I was willing to forgive it.

Antivehicular
I can't quite put my finger on what doesn't work here for me. The story is well written. Opener and closer solid. Fun bits of dialogue. Interesting characters. You did well with the prompt. Nothing particularly wrong anywhere it just didn't tickle my fancy like other stories this week.

Thranguy
Other than loving up a word in the last sentence, everything about this is great. From concept to delivery. I imagine this is on of the stories where you finish and think to yourself, I better come up with a prompt because I just knocked it out of the park. I love the imagery, love the setting, just great stuff.

Well done.

Hawklad
Weird as poo poo. Excellent world building. Thanks for putting this out into the world.