Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Dave
Nov 6, 2009

Friends don't shake hands, friends gotta hug!

It was great and I will say that as a fan of US deathmatch, I was not expecting a deathmatch guy to keep up with speedball the way Jack did. Between that match and the rumble, speedball had some gnarly shooting star double knees last night

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
WWE HMs

Jey Uso vs. Rollins, Raw 12/4
Imperium vs Miz + DIY, Raw 12/11
Miz vs. Gunther, Raw 12/18
Creeds vs. Balor & Priest, Raw 12/18

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
HM: Kento Miyahara & Yuma Aoyagi vs. Ryuki Honda & Yuma Anzai, AJPW Giant Series 10/31

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

HM
29th December
Stardom Dream Queendom 2023
NJPW STRONG Women's Title
Giulia(c) vs Megan Bayne

HM
29th December
Wonder of Stardom Title
MIRAI(c) vs Saori Anou

MOTYC
29th December
Vacant World of Stardom Title
Maika vs Suzu Suzuki

HM
30th December
GLEAT Ver.7
Kaito Ishida vs Takehiro Yamamura

This is Yamamura's first match back since 2019, where he suffered a cervical dislocation wrestling for Wrestle-1. This was 5 matches into his comeback from a previous cervical dislocation in 2017. So kind of miraculous.

MOTYC
30th December
GLEAT Ver.7
G-REX Title
T-Hawk(c) vs Hayato Tamura

And that is 2023 almost wrapped up. I say almost because I will try to watch the DDT/BJW Tag Shuffle show tomorrow, & then FREEDOMS Blood X-Mas has yet to come out, and I'd hope to see RibbonMania too. But there's All Japan & NOAH tomorrow, so 2024 has deffo begun.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

SG Bamboo posted:

BJW/DDT Present New Year's Eve Pro-Wrestling 2023 ~ Toshiwasure! Shuffle Six Man Tag Team Tournament ~ December 31st
MOTYC
Bati Bati loving in the Sky vs Smile Lizard King Kong - Finals
- https://vk.com/video-4499945_456252222?t=3h13m15s
- We got Hino and Sekimoto having a beef off, there was was no chance I wasn't going to adore this

HM
Smile Lizard King Kong (HARASHIMA, Kota Sekifuda and Yuji Hino) vs Lonely Hot College Students (Takeshi Masada, Akira & Koji Iwamoto) - Quarterfinals
- https://vk.com/video-4499945_456252222?t=47m36s

The Kind People (Soma Takao, Kazumasa Yoshida & Trans-Am★Hiroshi) vs Team Katagi Returns (Kazusada Higuchi, Yasufumi Nakanoue & Kohei Kinoshita) - Quarterfinals
- https://vk.com/video-4499945_456252222?59m26s

Smile Lizard King Kong vs Team Katagi Returns - Semifinals
- https://vk.com/video-4499945_456252222?t=2h12m28s

Big Bombers Kai (Yukio Naya, Hideyoshi Kamitani and Minoru Suzuki) vs Bati Bati loving in the Sky (Tetsuya Endo, Daisuke Sekimoto and Fuminori Abe) - Semi Finals
https://vk.com/video-4499945_456252222?t=2h23m16s

Outside of Danishoku Dieno this was a very fun show, though that's to be expected from these new years events. Higuchi here is such a departure from DDT where he's the biggest badass in the company, it's great to see

Agreed.. fun show and I'm glad I went live

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

New Year, new noms

AJPW Giant Series Night 1 January 2nd
HM
Katsuhiko Nakajima and Hideki Suzuki vs Charlie Dempsey and Yuma Anzai
- Outside of the criwd cheering way louder for Anzai than Dempsey this was a hoot, looking forward to Dempsey getting kicked ever harder by Nakajima tomorrow

Dan Tamura (c) vs Hikaru Sato - PWF Jr Title

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

HM: Tomohiro Ishii vs. Masa Kitamiya - NOAH "THE NEW YEAR" 1/2
Both these wrestlers noticed the other exists, and each of them took that very personally.

HM: Kenoh (C) vs. Manabu Soya for the GHC Heavyweight Title - NOAH "THE NEW YEAR" 1/2
Both these guys seemed determined to make it clear why they should have been the main event for this show, and they went all out. Really loved the ending in particular.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Jerusalem posted:

Both these wrestlers noticed the other exists, and each of them took that very personally.

HM: Kenoh (C) vs. Manabu Soya for the GHC Heavyweight Title - NOAH "THE NEW YEAR" 1/2
Both these guys seemed determined to make it clear why they should have been the main event for this show, and they went all out. Really loved the ending in particular.

Nth

Also

Hot v njpw/Noah at the same show. Obviously not everyone likes hot but I really liked it.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
WMOTYC: BIG BILL/Starks/Don Callis Fam vs Jericho/Sting/Darby/Guevara aew world's end 12/30
This match fell apart and everything surrounding it sucked

WMOTYC Julia Hart vs Abadon aew world's end 12/30

Zero chemistry aew dark tier match (bad)

Gonna rewatch Nakajima v Kento thought it was very good but also I was very sleepy and missed some of it

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
RoH Final Battle on 12/15

MOTYC: Ethan Page vs. Tony Nese
MOTYC: BCC vs. FTR & Mark Briscoe
HM: Billie Starkz vs. Athena

And some AJPW ones

MOTYC: Katsuhiko Nakajima vs. Yuma Aoyagi, Giant Series 11/5 (night)
HM: Kento Miyahara & T-Hawk vs. Ryuki Honda & Yuma Anzai, 11/5 (night)
HM: Jonathan Gresham vs. El Lindaman, 11/5 (day)
HM: Kento Miyahara & Yuma Aoyagi vs. Ryuki Honda & Yuma Anzai, 11/19

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

NOAH The New Year - Jan 2nd
HM: Masa Kitamiya vs Tomohiro Ishii
HM: House of Torture vs NOAH 12-man tag
HM: Kenoh (c) vs Manabu Soya - GHC Heavyweight Title

WMOTY: Naomichi Marufuji vs. Kota Ibushi
Ibushi's performance would not be out of place on Heroes of Wrestling. This isn't funny bad but it's still bad enough that you should at least watch parts of it. It's importantly bad.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
2024/01/02
NOAH The New Year
HM:Daga (c) vs Eita for the GHC Jr. Heavyweight Championship

This was superb. Almost on the cusp of MOTYC.

MOTYC: NOAH vs House of Torture
This is HoT done right imo. The heat is nuclear levels.

MOTYC: Kenoh (c) vs Manabu Soya for the GHC Heavyweight Championship
The real main event!! Come on now guys. No one should sleep on Soya

WMOTYC: Naomichi Marufuji vs Kota Ibushi
unfortunate injuries aside, this felt like it was going at x0.5 speed and was pointlessly drawn out

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Pylons posted:

AEW Worlds End 12/30

HM: Mark Briscoe, Claudio Castagnoli, Bryan Danielson & Daniel Garcia vs. Brody King, Jay Lethal, RUSH, and Jay White
HM: 'Timeless' Toni Storm vs. Riho
MOTYC: Christian Cage vs. Adam Copeland
MOTYC: Jon Moxley vs. Eddie Kingston
HM: Samoa Joe vs. MJF

Nth

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

MOTYC
2nd January 2024
Pro Wrestling NOAH The New Year 2024
Masa Kitamiya vs Tomohiro Ishii
Watch this here

This match is basically exactly what you think it'll be.

MOTYC
2nd January 2024
GHC Heavyweight Title
Kenoh(c) vs Manabu Soya
Watch this here

Great stuff. Terrific pre-match promo package too. On the other hand

WMOTYC
2nd January 2024
Kota Ibushi vs Naomichi Marufuji
Watch this here

Hugely depressing. And having it go over 30 minutes on a show that was already really long? And one of the wrestlers had a hosed up ankle going into it? Disastrous idea. Nobody who watches NOAH thought this match should've been in the main event over the title match. It feels like the people in charge of NOAH really wish they were running another company. Which I dunno, risking the course audience who actually pay to watch your shows either in person or online by pissing them off seems dumb as hell. But gently caress do I know?

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
MOTYC: Soberano Jr. vs. Volador Jr., CMLL 11/10 - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HpZBK4UP8Br-iYKwF21mkzn-snTW_MPv/view?usp=drive_link

The new heel Soberano rules.

HM: Volador Jr. vs. Templario, CMLL 11/19 - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Er58fP-eyxqprZ3dFXmwiOMmoumPQ1mq/view?usp=drive_link

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

So uhhhh.... bad news and good news I guess.

My 2023 and 2024 spreadsheets just.... disappeared. I have no explanation for why, they're just... gone!

The good news was that by pure luck I had a back up of 2023 from late December saved elsewhere so I can rebuild what has gone missing, but this might slow down the creation of a new thread. I am very confused.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

drat, that sucks :( You put so much work into keeping this thread straight year after year

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

All caught up again thankfully, looks like the drive I use as a back-up is having problems, so it's probably good that something this "minor" is what alerted me to it.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

DDT D-Oh Grand Prix the FINAL Janury 3rd
HM
Eruption (Yukio Sakaguchi and Hideki Okatani) vs 37KAMIINA (Toi Kojima and Shunma Katsumata)
- Ostensibly a preview of the upcoming title match but I was just happy to see Shunma back

Tetsuya Endo vs Yukio Naya
- Not at the level of D-Oh finals in the past but still a very enjoyable match

SG Bamboo fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Jan 3, 2024

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

SG Bamboo posted:

HM
Eruption (Yukio Sakaguchi and Hideki Okatani) vs 37KAMIINA (Toi Kojima and Shunma Katsumata)
- Ostensiy a preview of the upcoming title match but I was just happy to see Shunma back

Yeah agreed

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

SG Bamboo posted:

HM
- Ostensibly a preview of the upcoming title match but I was just happy to see Shunma back

nth

I'll add a nod not an HM for a Dieno "match" I enjoyed

pretty good show

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

SG Bamboo posted:

HM: Tetsuya Endo vs. Yukio Naya - DDT D-Oh Grand Prix the FINAL 1/3

Agreed, this was a very good main event.

fez_machine posted:

I'll add a nod not an HM for a Dieno "match" I enjoyed

Please include the actual wrestlers in the match! And not only because I'm not entirely certain what name the Jacket Guy is going by now or how you actually spell it!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

:siren: THE 2024 THREAD WILL BE POSTED AT THE START OF AEW DYNAMITE TONIGHT! THIS IS YOUR LAST CHANCE TO MAKE NOMINATIONS FOR 2023 :siren:

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Jerusalem posted:

:siren: THE 2024 THREAD WILL BE POSTED AT THE START OF AEW DYNAMITE TONIGHT! THIS IS YOUR LAST CHANCE TO MAKE NOMINATIONS FOR 2023 :siren:

Last chance to check out those links I posted the other day of cool matches from Japan with 6 MOTYC, you could be the one hero any of these matches need

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Please include the actual wrestlers in the match! And not only because I'm not entirely certain what name the Jacket Guy is going by now or how you actually spell it!

this was a nod

I don't think nods are an official category

but Cagematch lists him as Kuroshio TOKYO Japan (w/Seigo Tachibana)

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Jerusalem posted:

Nth.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

fez_machine posted:

this was a nod

I don't think nods are an official category

I read that as "a nod for HM" sorry!

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

motyc kento miyahara vs katsuhiro nakajima - ajpw maniax 12/31/23

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
wmotyc - MJF & Samoa Joe (C) vs. The Devil's Masked Men for the ROH Tag Titles - AEW Dynamite

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009
AJPW Mania X -12/31/23

MOTYC:

Katsuhiko Nakajima (c) v. Kento Miyahara for the Triple Crown Title

A delicious sequel to the best match of 2023, this time with the Triple Crown on the line. Two of the most intense wrestlers in the biz doing what they do best.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Before the boss man closes the thread I'm gonna dump my almost final stats for the year WOTY organised by my highly unscientific score where I just randomly assigned values to ratings. It's probably not heavily weighted enough to ***** matches but it serves the purpose, I'm not a statistician. I'm mainly posting the numbers to show how close Yuma & Kento were & how far away from them everyone else was.

Top 10 Wrestlers
1. Yuma Aoyagi (178)
2. Kento Miyahara (173)
3. Kenoh (97)
4. Katsuhiko Nakajima (91)
5. Takuya Nomura (83)
6. Atsuki Aoyagi (81)
7. Suzu Suzuki (74)
8. Yuma Anzai (77)
9. Kazuchika Okada (74)
10. Madoka Kikuta (69)

Kento was #1 all year, but having just added the 31/12 matches to the spreadsheet he's been pipped at the post by his tag partner & rival Yuma. Suzu Suzuki also leaped above Okada & Anzai with her final match of the year.

Honourable Mentions, for who appeared in the most MOTYC & HM matches without making my top 10
Fuminori Abe (6 MOTYCs, 30 HMs)
Rising HAYATO (7 MOTYCs, 27 HMs)
Naruki Doi (5 MOTYCs, 29 HMs)
Hikaru Sato (5 MOTYCs, 26 HMs)
Dan Tamura (2 MOTYCs, 27 HMs)

Promotion of the Year
1. New Japan (443)
2. All Japan (405)
3. Stardom (252)
4. NOAH (204)
5. Dragongate (181)
6. DDT (147)
7. TJPW (118)
8. BJW (107)
9. GLEAT (89)
10. FREEDOMS (73)

Despite the numbers, if you ask me my promotion of the year? It's All Japan. Why? Well

Most watched promotion, by shows I watched matches from
1. New Japan 94
2. Dragongate 73
3. All Japan 72
4. Stardom 62
5. DDT 55

I've not locked in my top 25 matches and won't until I've seen the Freedoms Blood X-Mas show, but right now it's hard to imagine anything beating out Arisa Nakajima vs Sareee #1, & Fuminori Abe vs Takuya Nomura #2 & Yuma Aoyagi vs Katsuhiko Nakajima #3

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
CMLL Super Fridays 10/13
MOTYC: Mistico vs Templario

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

forkboy84 posted:

Top 10 Wrestlers
1. Yuma Aoyagi (178)
2. Kento Miyahara (173)

7. Suzu Suzuki (74)
8. Yuma Anzai (77)
9. Kazuchika Okada (74)

Kento was #1 all year, but having just added the 31/12 matches to the spreadsheet he's been pipped at the post by his tag partner & rival Yuma. Suzu Suzuki also leaped above Okada & Anzai with her final match of the year.

God I love it when stuff like this happens :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

2023 is over, 2024 has begun!