Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

Yes, it's another LP of Ocarina of Time. Developed and published by Nintendo, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time is the fourth game in the Zelda series, but the first with 3D graphics. Released on the Nintendo 64 console in late 1998, Ocarina of Time won an absolute poo poo-ton of awards inlcuding many Game of the Years and is still the highest rated game ever on Metacritic. It is a fantastic open-world adventure RPG with fun characters, engaging side quests, and an excellent story.

So here's the deal. A couple of my friends, SilverChaser and SorryNotMorrie, have recently started working on their own LP content, and I had been trying to think of a game to play to bring them on as guests. When I learned that they had never played or otherwise experienced the old N64 Zelda games, I knew what had to be done. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time was actually the first game I ever owned. I received it for Christmas 24 years ago along with an N64, starting my decades long love affair with video games that continues to this day. What I hope to do with this LP is to take my friends on a guided tour of a fantastic game and get a fresh perspective through their eyes.

01 - The Boy Without a Fairy
02 - Inside the Great Deku Tree
03 - The Market
04 - Hyrule Castle
05 - Kakariko Village
06 - The Graveyard
07 - Lon Lon Ranch
08 - Death Mountain
09 - The Lost Woods
10 - Dodongo's Cavern
11 - King Dodongo
12 - Running Errands
13 - Zora's Domain
XX - A Smashing Sidequest
14 - Lake Hylia
15 - Inside Jabu-Jabu's Belly
16 - Barinade
17 - The Temple of Time
18 - Revisiting Kakariko Village
19 - Horsing Around
20 - The Forest Temple
21 - Phantom Ganon
22 - If I Could Turn Back Time
23 - Questionable Craftsmanship
24 - The Fire Temple
25 - Volvagia
26 - Who You Gonna Call?
27 - The Ice Cavern
28 - The Water Temple
29 - Morpha
30 - Lurking in the Deep
31 - Bottom of the Well
32 - Getting That Gossip
33 - The Shadow Temple
34 - Bongo Bongo
35 - Gerudo's Fortress
36 - Haunted Wasteland
37 - The Spirit Temple (Kid's Club)
38 - The Spirit Temple (Adults Only)
39 - Twinrova
40 - Gerudo Training Ground
41 - Trading Up
42 - The Round-Up
43 - The Triforce
44 - Ganondorf

SilverChaser's Channel
Frenzy's Twitter

FrenzyTheKillbot fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Nov 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle
reserved in case

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

01 - The Boy Without a Fairy

A young boy is summoned to embark on an epic quest to save the world.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Another FtK LP? Sweet!

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Hey, I'm pretty much in the same boat as your co-hosts. I loved the NES Zelda games and Link to the Past but never had an N64 or any more recent console, so most of the newer Zelda games have pretty much flown right past me except for watching the occasional LP. I'm looking forward to this one!

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Hey, I'm pretty much in the same boat as your co-hosts. I loved the NES Zelda games and Link to the Past but never had an N64 or any more recent console, so most of the newer Zelda games have pretty much flown right past me except for watching the occasional LP. I'm looking forward to this one!

Same here, Link's Awakening was basically the last Zelda-title I played until I got a Switch and Breath of the Wild, so I managed to completely miss all 3D-Zeldas up to that one.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

You should pull a Vicas and play an N64 classic with your feet

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Is this being played on Ship of Harkinian? It feels like it's running really smoothly.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Almost certainly, it has functional widescreen.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Yeah I was going to say that the framerate looks a lot smoother than even the 3DS remake and it looks really crisp so I was wondering if Frenzy was using Ship Of Harkinian myself.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Seeing this game run at a framerate higher than 15-20 fps is kinda giving me anxiety, to be honest.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle
lol yeah it's definitely Ship of Harkinian. In my head I remember the Deku Tree's mouth opening to be really "creaky" but seeing it at 60fps it's buttery smooth and it kinda weirds me out. I actually played for a little while with it rendering at 1440p while I was testing and it works really well. It does introduce a few visual bugs (although less than I would have thought) and so for the LP I'm rendering it at 540p and upscaling, but I think it gives it a little bit of blurry CRT-ish authenticity.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

You should pull a Vicas and play an N64 classic with your feet

You got me thinking about this, and Z targeting is actually a toggle, which would probably making playing it with your feet possible. Zelda does rely on the C buttons way more than Mario64 does, so I guess it'd be all about that toe dexterity? I think I'm just going to stop thinking about it.

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Libluini posted:

Same here, Link's Awakening was basically the last Zelda-title I played until I got a Switch and Breath of the Wild, so I managed to completely miss all 3D-Zeldas up to that one.

Glad to have you guys along!

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

It's kinda weird seeing this game run so fast and smoothly, Link's run animation along with so much else is burned into my brain into being so much slower. I imagine there's a bit of a reactions readjustment period you're headed for and that should be fun to watch.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Count me in as someone else who never played this game. Played a few (OG, Link's Adventure, ALTTP, Link's Awakening, Seasons, Minish Cap, Twilight Princess) but didn't have an N64 so I never played this or Majora.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Can never have too many OoT LPs

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

02 - Inside the Great Deku Tree

Link delves into the depths of the Great Deku Tree and gives the old man a good de-spidering.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Important note to remember; He's not just their Sacred Tree, he's effectively their father.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Bit of a deadbeat dad if you ask me. Probably knew all along Link would get blamed and cast out and force him to go on the quest :colbert: (I forget if this is an actual plot point).

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

03 - The Market

Link gets his first taste of the big, beautiful, and dangerous world outside the forest.

Kibayasu posted:

Bit of a deadbeat dad if you ask me. Probably knew all along Link would get blamed and cast out and force him to go on the quest :colbert: (I forget if this is an actual plot point).

He definitely knew that Link would have to go on the quest. As for the rest of it, I always got a "life was tough on you but it was necessary to make you into a hero" vibe from his treatment in the Kokiri Forest.

FrenzyTheKillbot fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Feb 5, 2023

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Man, forget the night skeletons and other future enemies, that buzzsaw in the meadows freaked me right out way back when.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

That's the 3D version of the Peahat, those weird stop-and-go enemies that you could only hurt while they were moving in the 2D games.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Are you planning to show off any of the particularly famous glitches, assuming they even work with Ship of Harkinian?

Schrute Nation
May 29, 2007
Ha,Ha...Thought you could keep me out didja?
It's a quintessential experience to spam the A button during the owl's monolog to accidentally have him start from the top.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Kibayasu posted:

Man, forget the night skeletons and other future enemies, that buzzsaw in the meadows freaked me right out way back when.

Peahats are no joke. You need to hit the little bit at the bottom center to KO them, and the whirling blades make anything bounce off.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

04 - Hyrule Castle

Link breaks into the seat of Hyrule's government and meets the titular Princess Zelda.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Impa has that effect on everyone.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Aww, you didn't show them the easter egg when you shoot a slingshot seed against the window opposite to the one with the mario paintings?

Also, one theory of what Impa does when she disappears, is she just throws a nut and walks off calmly, because the nut stuns you and freezes time for you.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

Kibayasu posted:

Impa has that effect on everyone.

I'm a late bloomer, so I must not have played it at the right point in my childhood.

Carbon dioxide posted:

Aww, you didn't show them the easter egg when you shoot a slingshot seed against the window opposite to the one with the mario paintings?

Aw man, I totally forgot about this. That would have been cool. As much as remember about this game, there's a ton I've forgotten about too.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

05 - Kakariko Village

Link takes a trip to the suburbs and spends a lot of time chasing chickens.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
Just popping in to say that I'm really enjoying this lp. I played OoT on the GC, and was rather underwhelmed as so many games had surpassed it by then. So it is with joy that I can follow along with two people who've never experienced a LoZ game, and can see the world fresh with their eyes.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Enjoying the LP so far. I tried to play this as a kid but sucked at video games so I never made it through the first night stuck in Terminal field and rage quit.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

This is just one of those weird things but I always felt like I was mispronouncing Kakariko when I was a kid. It never sounded right. No I don't know how else you would pronounce it.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Soylent Pudding posted:

Enjoying the LP so far. I tried to play this as a kid but sucked at video games so I never made it through the first night stuck in Terminal field and rage quit.

Isn't Termina the location of the sequel, Majora's Mask?

Kibayasu posted:

This is just one of those weird things but I always felt like I was mispronouncing Kakariko when I was a kid. It never sounded right. No I don't know how else you would pronounce it.
Fun fact: the name Kakariko comes from French "Cocorico" which is the sound a rooster makes, like cock-a-doodle-doo in English.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Carbon dioxide posted:

Fun fact: the name Kakariko comes from French "Cocorico" which is the sound a rooster makes, like cock-a-doodle-doo in English.

Oops. Majora's mask was the only Zelda game I've ever played so must have mixed that up in my head.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Carbon dioxide posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ivht-MNTwRE

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

Soylent Pudding posted:

Soylent Pudding posted:

Oops. Majora's mask was the only Zelda game I've ever played so must have mixed that up in my head.

Majora's Mask is my favourite Zelda game, but the first day(s) are very restrictive and frustrating. I totally see how you could end up rage quitting. I also want to say that I'm planning/hoping to show the girls Majora's Mask after this LP, but I may wait until it gets the Ship of Harkinian treatment as well.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

06 - The Graveyard

Link checks out the darker, spookier side of Kakariko Village.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

So where do the royal family get their zombies? I'm guessing castle market vagrants.

cirus
Apr 5, 2011

Kibayasu posted:

So where do the royal family get their zombies? I'm guessing castle market vagrants.

The royal family isn't entirely on the up-and-up given the stuff we find in the Shadow Temple

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

Kibayasu posted:

Off the top of my head I'm going to say that the royal family is buried with their servants like Egyptian pharaohs. Which means their Sheikah bodyguards end up getting entombed and turned into zombies. It would explain why Impa is apparently the last Sheikah as well.