Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Commander Keene posted:

On the subject of Link getting lost in the Lost Woods and becoming a Stalfos, there is the Hero's Shade in Twilight Princess...

Actual spoilers within, though not for Ocarina of Time:
And the Hero's Shade is confirmed by the Hyrule Historia (I think that's what did it) to be the Hero of Time himself. How he ended up this way is a mystery... but he sure does look like a Stalfos.

EDIT: Update at bottom of previous page!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I cannot believe you did not show the girls that the fishing shop dude is bald now. LP ruined 0/10.

Commander Keene posted:

On the subject of Link getting lost in the Lost Woods and becoming a Stalfos, there is the Hero's Shade in Twilight Princess...

well, time to bust out the ol' Link is dead in Majora's Mask powerpoint presentation...

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

TwoPair posted:

I cannot believe you did not show the girls that the fishing shop dude is bald now. LP ruined 0/10.
I thought he did in the last fishing video?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
The loving *cackle* after "We've got a lure you might be interested in," is emblematic of why this LP rules.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

The true reward of getting all the Skulltulas is that you can reenter the house and the guy will give you 200 rupees every single time. It's an infinite money source.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Natural 20 posted:

The loving *cackle* after "We've got a lure you might be interested in," is emblematic of why this LP rules.

Absolutely. I very much hope to hear you three cover more games after this.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

davidspackage posted:

I think doing Majora's Mask would be fantastic. Watching your co-hosts try to make sense of all the time shenanigans would be entertainment value enough to justify doing it.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Carbon dioxide posted:

The true reward of getting all the Skulltulas is that you can reenter the house and the guy will give you 200 rupees every single time. It's an infinite money source.
what are you spending money on

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

Commander Keene posted:

BlazetheInferno posted:

Actual spoilers within, though not for Ocarina of Time:
And the Hero's Shade is confirmed by the Hyrule Historia (I think that's what did it) to be the Hero of Time himself. How he ended up this way is a mystery... but he sure does look like a Stalfos.

Well there's something I didn't know. That's fuckin morbid.

Carbon dioxide posted:

There's something else I didn't know! But yeah by the time you have all 100 skulltulas, what is there to even spend money on? Honestly even before that you have to go out of your way to find things to spend money on.

Natural 20 posted:

davidspackage posted:

Pickled Tink posted:

I think doing Majora's Mask would be fantastic. Watching your co-hosts try to make sense of all the time shenanigans would be entertainment value enough to justify doing it.

Thanks guys, I appreciate it. I definitely would like to do Majora's Mask with the girls as well, but I'm going to wait until it has its own Ship of Harkinian. I have some other ideas on the list though.

And make sure you do check out the Wine Games playlists on SilverChaser's YouTube channel for more of them.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I'm not sure I've ever spent more than maybe 500 rupees on optional stuff in OoT. Like the biggest expense is the 200 rupees on biggoron's sword. Fairies are so plentiful and free i've never felt the need to buy health potions. I don't tend to use magic enough i need to buy magic potions either. Basically everything else that's consumable can be got in the grass. I should probably use bombchus more, actually

TapamN
Jan 10, 2008
I guess the infinite rupees can be useful if there are minigames that you're bad at (like horseback archery).

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
I remember when I was a kid needing to enter the spider house several times for the infinite free money, but I couldn't tell you what I was spending it on.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
It's a less evil way to obtain money, though it's so late in the game. If you're a monster, well... As adult link, you can kill the skull kids in the Lost Woods, they drop 200 rupees on death.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Left 4 Bread posted:

It's a less evil way to obtain money, though it's so late in the game. If you're a monster, well... As adult link, you can kill the skull kids in the Lost Woods, they drop 200 rupees on death.

After you do this, the only remaining skull kid got very lonely and decided to steal a mask.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

43 - The Triforce

Link reunites with an old friend and charges into battle at Ganondorf's Castle.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

:eng101: It's Egyptian mythology where your heart (which is where ancient Egyptians believed the soul resided, so your "heart/soul" confusion means they're basically the same thing) gets weighed against a feather! If your heart was lighter than a feather you got to go to the afterlife, if it was heavier than the feather your heart (and thus your soul) got eaten by Ammut, a goddess with the head of a crocodile, the foreparts of a leopard, and the hindquarters of a hippopotamus.

I love how sometimes the arrow you shoot to break the barrier at the end of each trial will just be hovering in midair through the cutscene with the sage.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Commander Keene posted:

:eng101: It's Egyptian mythology where your heart (which is where ancient Egyptians believed the soul resided, so your "heart/soul" confusion means they're basically the same thing) gets weighed against a feather! If your heart was lighter than a feather you got to go to the afterlife, if it was heavier than the feather your heart (and thus your soul) got eaten by Ammut, a goddess with the head of a crocodile, the foreparts of a leopard, and the hindquarters of a hippopotamus.

I love how sometimes the arrow you shoot to break the barrier at the end of each trial will just be hovering in midair through the cutscene with the sage.

Bet that test was creatively interpreted a lot for the more "important" people.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

The weighing of the heart wasn't a responsibility of mortals to do, the god Osiris would do the weighing against a feather from the goddess Ma'at in the underworld.

So I guess everyone just got to assume their dead relatives never got snacked on by a crocodile.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

I'm so strong now I have these gauntlets, I can fling massive stone pillars weighing many tons across the room.

Cool! Can you hit stuff any harder with your sword?

Uh, no.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

The gauntlets don't increase arm strength, they increase core strength, so lifting power is greatly enhanced, but striking power is relatively unaffected. Don't ask me why magic gauntlets give Link great abs.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Most striking power comes from hips and core, not arms. Really it's probably the same problem as other forms of super strength, extra power without extra mass to leverage against. Even if the gloves are enhancing his strength, he does t have any more traction with the ground and can only use so much of that power before losing his balance. It's one thing when you're digging in to the floor and pushing against a large object, but in a fight you can only commit so much without losing balance or leaving yourself open.

Alternatively the gauntlets don't actually increase his strength but just magically decrease the weight of the specific material in the stone blocks.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Yeah it would be funny if the gauntlets only transmuted stone with that specific emblem on it to styrofoam or something.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

44 - Ganondorf

Cradok
Sep 28, 2013
Noooooo! I'm not ready for it to be over, this series has honestly become the highlight of my week.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Just a note as I'm watching.

You can also use the spin attack to bounce back all the projectiles on his charge attack.

And you can use Light Arrows to stun Ganon Phase 2 so you can get at his tail easier!

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Nov 1, 2023

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Edit: I see you figured out the charge attack.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
The Imperial March Scarecrow Song was definitely the best background track for your final Zelda timeline/legend chat

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

Thanks for an excellent LP! Please do more stuff with the three of you, the group dynamic is incredible!

Remalle fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Nov 1, 2023

TapamN
Jan 10, 2008
Seconding that it was great LP.

Since this bit wasn't mentioned in the LP, leaving this here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0S_91PsVr9A&t=32s

It's Ganon bottle

Cradok
Sep 28, 2013

TwoPair posted:

The Imperial March Scarecrow Song was definitely the best background track for your final Zelda timeline/legend chat

I feel a little guilty that despite how funny they've been the whole LP, that was the thing that totally made me lose it.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Honest to god I would just love to see the girls react to Gerudo Town in BotW.

Anyway, this LP was outstanding. I've looked forward to it every Tuesday and I've learnt a tonne about my favourite game of all time from watching along as well.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
X'ing the love for the thread. It was a fun watch; qlways enjoyable to see people go into such classics blind

smax
Nov 9, 2009

TapamN posted:

Seconding that it was great LP.

Since this bit wasn't mentioned in the LP, leaving this here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0S_91PsVr9A&t=32s

It's Ganon bottle

The first time I played this as a kid, this is exactly how I did it. I couldn’t figure out that you had to just swing your sword to bounce the shot back, and in my frustration I just started trying every single item in my inventory to see what worked. Bottle works? Bottle it is!

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
The battle tennis thing originally started in A Link to the Past, where you had to smack mid-boss wizard Agahnim with his own magic. You could do that with the sword or with the bug net. There's a similar fight in Link's Awakening, where the attack could be deflected with either a sword or a shovel. It's been in the majority of Zelda games from there, usually from a Ganon or Ganon-adjacent dude. In one of the DS games it was officially named "Dead Man's Volley" but I don't think it's really caught on, either because nobody played the DS games, or nobody thought the battle tennis needed a name.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Link goes back to the Child Timeline.

The Party takes place in the Adult Timeline.

Now that Ganondorf is defeated, the Ocarina is returned, and Link has been sent back to his own time, the connection between the Child and Adult times is broken... the timelines can now diverge. The Child timeline begins progressing in a new way, to prevent the events of the Adult timeline from ever occurring... and the Adult Timeline must now progress without The Hero of Time.

The infamous timeline split. Fans for years contemplated how all the games would fit together into a coherent timeline, which would take place before, which ones would take place after, and which half of the timeline split would games that take place after Ocarina happen in...

Except none of them considered one detail. That the timeline after Ocarina didn't just split into two - it split into three. An Adult Timeline in which there was no more Hero of Time, because he had gone home... A timeline in which Ganondorf never rose to power, because child Link and Zelda used their knowledge of events to stop him early... and a timeline in which Link lost that final battle against Ganon.

EDIT: Of note, the Breath of the Wild and Tears of the Kingdom games are not placed on the timeline, as it came out a fair while before they released. People have tried to figure out where in the timeline it takes place, but unsuccessfully, and I don't think Nintendo is too eager to give an answer. I've seen rumblings that they may in fact regret creating that timeline in the first place, but that's only a rumor as far as I know.

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Nov 1, 2023

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I hate timeline chat so much because aside from the obvious direct sequels like Majora (or Phantom Hourglass or Tears of the Kingdom or Twilight Princess I guess, etc, etc) you just know nobody actually making the games cared that much. They put references to other games in the games but that doesn't mean they're on some magic actual timeline. It's just an idea so Nintendo can get more people to buy Hyrule Historia and folks bought it hook, line, and sinking lure sinker.

... actually I guess all this anger really just stems from me thinking that the idea/addition of a "Link Dies" timeline is the stupidest loving thing and I hate it.

edit: Though I do appreciate that now after Tears of the Kingdom is out it provides a darkly humorous thought experiment that (spoilers for TotK I guess) in every other game in the franchise (minus Skyward Sword), Zelda is flying around as a dragon with a sword in her head right outside the skybox.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

TwoPair posted:

edit: Though I do appreciate that now after Tears of the Kingdom is out it provides a darkly humorous thought experiment that (spoilers for TotK I guess) in every other game in the franchise (minus Skyward Sword), Zelda is flying around as a dragon with a sword in her head right outside the skybox.

Backup Master Sword. :D

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

BlazetheInferno posted:

EDIT: Of note, the Breath of the Wild and Tears of the Kingdom games are not placed on the timeline, as it came out a fair while before they released. People have tried to figure out where in the timeline it takes place, but unsuccessfully, and I don't think Nintendo is too eager to give an answer. I've seen rumblings that they may in fact regret creating that timeline in the first place, but that's only a rumor as far as I know.

Didn't Nintendo outright say BotW takes place long after all three timelines (which is why you see all kinds of references from all three timelines in BotW)?

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Carbon dioxide posted:

Didn't Nintendo outright say BotW takes place long after all three timelines (which is why you see all kinds of references from all three timelines in BotW)?

I know that's a popular theory I've heard, I hadn't heard about Nintendo confirming it, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

BlazetheInferno posted:

I dont think they regret it as much as they dont really factor it into development anymore. Skyward Sword was the big nod to it, but then BotW/TotK took and picked whatever the devs wanted without really caring where it would land the games chronologically.