Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

07 - Lon Lon Ranch

Link embarks on a brand new business venture and makes a new friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnPooch
Aug 15, 2022
There is a way to cheese Talon's Cucco game at the ranch - the regular Cucco's keep their position when the super Cucco's fly off so if you stash all the regular Cuccos behind the counter on Talon's right then only the Super Cucco's will be hanging out in the main area.

Not that you really need this but it's a fun cheese.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Can't believe you missed showing off the thirst bar and how it goes away after you drink the lon lon ranch milk

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

You got a pretty good discount on the Hylian Shield there, but you didn't need to spend anything at all. There's a free shield in the Kakariko Graveyard under the tombstone marked with the flowers.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

CapnPooch posted:

There is a way to cheese Talon's Cucco game at the ranch - the regular Cucco's keep their position when the super Cucco's fly off so if you stash all the regular Cuccos behind the counter on Talon's right then only the Super Cucco's will be hanging out in the main area.

Not that you really need this but it's a fun cheese.

This is cool, but it seems like a lot of work. Surely it'd be quicker to just play the game a couple times.

Commander Keene posted:

You got a pretty good discount on the Hylian Shield there, but you didn't need to spend anything at all. There's a free shield in the Kakariko Graveyard under the tombstone marked with the flowers.

Yeah I considered doing it that way, but I wanted to show off that the discount isn't just flavor text. And plus we had to play the treasure chest game.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

This is cool, but it seems like a lot of work. Surely it'd be quicker to just play the game a couple times.

I tried it once and yeah, pretty much. It takes longer to cheese it than to do it normally unless you're having a lot of trouble chicken hunting. It's kind of fun to "cheat" though.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
It's emergent gameplay you philistines

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

You can move *some* cuccos for the benefit of making it possible to pick up more of the remaining candidates in the time, without needing to bother shifting them all. That's probably the best use of time/rupees.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon
Good Let's Play! I just caught up and had some things I wanted to mention about mechanics since I love OOT mechanics.

You say that the stick is useless for fighting at some point but fun fact, it actually does twice the damage that the Kokiri Sword does! Jump slashes also do twice the damage and crouch stabbing does the same damage as your last attack so if you do a jump slash with a stick you can then crouch stab for 8x the damage of a regular sword slash! This is not at all necessary for regular fights but it's a fun mechanic.

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

06 - The Graveyard[/url]

There is actually a way to light the torches in the composer's grave at thus point but it requires a glitch. Would people like a short video showing off some glitches that can be done by this point in the game without spoiling what's coming up?

If you freeze the ReDead (also, the Zombies are named ReDead which is an amazing name) in the graveyard you get a chest.

Dampe digging is indeed completely random and the bane of many speedruns.

EP. 07

RE: Cuccos - They actually always land at the same place, knowing this made it about a million times easier for me to beat it. And there is a very very subtle difference in how they move but I can't see it and don't remember what it is.

There are 100 Gold Skulltulas in the game. Spoiled in case you don't want to know for whatever reason.

And RE Song order in the menu from the latest video: I think they assumed you'd go get Saria's song in the forest after Deku Tree and that's why there's an empty slot.

Hope this post doesn't come off as too :actually: I just like OoT minutia

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Man with Hat posted:

Good Let's Play! I just caught up and had some things I wanted to mention about mechanics since I love OOT mechanics.

You say that the stick is useless for fighting at some point but fun fact, it actually does twice the damage that the Kokiri Sword does! Jump slashes also do twice the damage and crouch stabbing does the same damage as your last attack so if you do a jump slash with a stick you can then crouch stab for 8x the damage of a regular sword slash! This is not at all necessary for regular fights but it's a fun mechanic.

Shame the stick breaks after a single hit.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

BlazetheInferno posted:

But, you can glitch it to the half-stick by jump slashing a wall at a certain angle. Then you have an infinite stick, although it's rather short.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

08 - Death Mountain

Link finally climbs up Death Mountain and meets the Gorons.

Man with Hat posted:

BlazetheInferno posted:

I actually didn't know it did that much more damage. The annoyance of them breaking always made me not use them for anything other than torch lighting. I'll have to see if I can find a good time to try it out.

CapnPooch
Aug 15, 2022
I...don't think I ever realised that short-cut could be used to save time in getting back to Kokiri Forest when doing the main quest. Pretty sure I always just hoofed it back there via Hyrule Plains instead of taking the shortcut from Goron City.

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

I always just save and reset to start back at Link's house.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

BlazetheInferno posted:

That's why I also brought up the mechanics of crouch stabbing. Jump slash the air with the stick, crouch stab with the sword for 8x damage. No broken stick, a billion extra damage. But you can also kill a ReDead with a single stick with a jumpslash, for example, which might be worth it at certain points.

And also, as Odd Wilson mentioned, there are glitches around this but with just a sword and a shield you can crouch stab away all day glitchless.

Edit: A little fact about the latest video is that not only is your stick timer reset when you light a torch, all timed fires have their timer reset!

Man with Hat fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Feb 22, 2023

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

Man with Hat posted:

But you can also kill a ReDead with a single stick with a jumpslash, for example, which might be worth it at certain points.

Yeah this sounds like the use case I was looking for. OHKOing Redeads sounds dope to me.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Man with Hat posted:

And also, as Odd Wilson mentioned, there are glitches around this but with just a sword and a shield you can crouch stab away all day glitchless.

I'm pretty sure crouch-stabbing keeping the previous attack's damage is a glitch.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

whitehelm posted:

I'm pretty sure crouch-stabbing keeping the previous attack's damage is a glitch.

In the speedrun community, glitches are not well-defined. It's often something like: "If it's a mechanic included in the game but the damage calculation happens to be busted that is okay for glitchless categories, if it's a completely unintended mechanic it isn't". But more often than not this definition is based on "would it make the category more fun? Then allow it."

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

09 - The Lost Woods

Link heads back to his old stomping grounds and visits his best friend.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

whitehelm posted:

I'd call it a weird programming thing since it's just how an intentionally built in attack works. Probably a programming oversight but this is all semantics and doesn't really matter at the end of the day. The point is it's easy as hell to do and fun and rad.

That Ocarina Play along game is the second worst mini game in the entirety of OoT. Takes forever and three times is way too much. Good job getting through it on the first try, I have to write down the 8 note one

Saria's Song also lets you talk to Navi! Works if you've forgotten where to go or missed something she said in one of her timed prompts, so you don't have to wait for 15 minutes for the "Hey! Listen!"

Also, very strange mechanical fact about the Wolfos (the wolf enemy) is that they have a set ammount of health but take different damage from the back than from the front. This isn't that strange, what's strange is that different weapons have different multipliers for hitting them in the back. A slingshot shot and a stab with the sword usually do the same damage but if you hit a wolfos in the back with them, the sword kills it but the slingshot does not. The stick has a higher multiplier than the kokiri sword too, on top of having a higher base damage. That, of course, doesn't make any practical difference since they die from one hit either way which is why it's so dang weird.

Man with Hat fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Mar 1, 2023

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Frenzy, IIRC it only takes two bugs to get a Skulltula to pop up. You can pop open a bottle, quickly re-catch one of the three, and have the other two get the Skulltula. Or you can just release the bugs anywhere and then catch two of them in separate bottles. Either way, infinite source of bugs.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

Carbon dioxide posted:

Frenzy, IIRC it only takes two bugs to get a Skulltula to pop up. You can pop open a bottle, quickly re-catch one of the three, and have the other two get the Skulltula. Or you can just release the bugs anywhere and then catch two of them in separate bottles. Either way, infinite source of bugs.

You actually only need one! But yes, the infinite bugs trick is definitely a thing which is useful if you're gonna go around hunting skulltulas in softsoil! There's only 9 of them in the entire game so it's not like a huge deal to get new bugs if you want your bottle space for other things.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I completely forgot about that little trek into the lost woods. It actually feels kind of weird looking at it now since you basically just left for your big adventure and had a big goodbye to Saria and now you're just going back.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Kibayasu posted:

I completely forgot about that little trek into the lost woods. It actually feels kind of weird looking at it now since you basically just left for your big adventure and had a big goodbye to Saria and now you're just going back.

Were we "supposed to" do this earlier in the game before Hyrule or death mountain? Or is this when we're supposed to come back?

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Soylent Pudding posted:

Were we "supposed to" do this earlier in the game before Hyrule or death mountain? Or is this when we're supposed to come back?

I think the earliest you can get it is after meeting Zelda and obtaining the letter. The whole Darunia thing does signpost you in the direction of getting the song, so it's arguable that it's "meant" to be gotten now.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

As a kid I don’t remember ever getting all the way to Goron City without already having the song. I think I probably did Hyrule Castle, Lon Lon Ranch, then went back to Kokiri Forest via the main entrance. If I recall, at some point Navi starts wondering what Saria’s up to in that time frame, but I’m going off some very old memories at this point.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle
In this LP I'm sorta trying to present things the way I think the game wants you to, to give the ladies the full experience. So I'm doing things in a specific order, including showing all the puzzle solving steps instead of just going where I know we need to go. As smax says, Navi's hint after talking to Princess Zelda is something like "I wonder what Saria would say about us saving hyrule". So if you're taking your cues from her, you might end up getting the song before heading up to Goron City. I personally think the game wants you to do things the way I did because it wants you to discover the shortcut. Darunia tells you that he wants forest music, and then there's an obvious torch lighting side quest that leads to a Goron who talks about being able to hear the forest music down the tunnel. There's a similar situation with the Zora's Domain/Lake Hylia shortcut.

FrenzyTheKillbot fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Mar 7, 2023

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

In this LP I'm sorta trying to present things the way I think the game wants you to, to give the ladies the full experience. So I'm doing things in a specific order, including showing all the puzzle solving steps instead of just going where I know we need to go. As smax says, Navi's hint after talking to Princess Zelda is something like "I wonder what Saria would say about us saving hyrule". So if you're taking your cues from her, you might end up getting the song before heading up to Goron City. I personally think the game wants you to do things the way I did because it wants you to discover the shortcut. Darunia tells you that he wants forest music, and then there's an obvious torch lighting side quest that leads to a Goron who talks about being able to hear the forest music down the tunnel. There's a similar situation with the Zora's Domain/Lake Hylia shortcut.

I think you're right in what they expect in that Darunia - Saria. I also think that's where they intended for you to learn to play ZL to get into secret royal family places. I never thought about it before now but you speaking to the gorons and the number of hints they gave made me realize that's probably the thing, which would explain the song order in the menu a bit more as well.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

10 - Dodongo's Cavern

Link agrees to help clear out the infested Dodongo's Cavern for the Gorons.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Your co-hosts had a classic case of solving the puzzle in a few seconds then talking themselves out of it :v:

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Mandatory: I can't wait to bomb some dodongos!

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

Kibayasu posted:

Your co-hosts had a classic case of solving the puzzle in a few seconds then talking themselves out of it :v:

I've been really enjoying their suggestions for how to solve puzzles. A couple videos ago when I was messing with the deku sticks and butterflies, SilverChaser suggested I swing the stick through the flowers for the pollen and that's such a good idea! It's hard to get back to that kind of thinking once you know where all the limits of the game are.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Oh, speaking of the butterflies, I don't know if it was mentioned but they do do something.

quote:

If Link holds a Deku Stick near a Butterfly, and then walks away slowly, the Butterfly will follow the Deku Stick away and will transform into a fairy.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

I've been really enjoying their suggestions for how to solve puzzles. A couple videos ago when I was messing with the deku sticks and butterflies, SilverChaser suggested I swing the stick through the flowers for the pollen and that's such a good idea! It's hard to get back to that kind of thinking once you know where all the limits of the game are.

I've always loved this kind of thing. Ideas that make sense in the real world, but that people who've been playing games their whole lives instinctively know would never get put into a game. To us, of course the developers didn't program pollen into the flowers that can stick to your weapon. Especially on the N64. If a developer ever even had that specific idea, it probably would've been really difficult to implement and they have much more important things to prioritize in the short time (and limited cartridge space) available to them.

But when your friend who never plays games, or your mom, or your little sibling, whoever, asks about it you still think "yeah, why not?" That kind of innocence should be preserved as long as possible, because as you said: it's really hard to think that way once you "know better"

And then you play a Hideo Kojima game and maybe it'll actually work anyway because the man is a beautiful lunatic.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

Kibayasu posted:

Yeah, this was great, going from the solution to "Something with lasers" (which in its own way also makes sense).

I agree with your cohost who said you have killer aim. It's really drat hard hitting those bats imo.

And a little thing you missed you can climb the vines where the skulltullas at 15:05 in the video are :ssh: - not that it matters, especially if you're coming back later which it sounded like

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

11 - King Dodongo

Link continues his quest to help the Gorons, but now with more explosions!

Carbon dioxide posted:

Oh, speaking of the butterflies, I don't know if it was mentioned but they do do something.

Yeah, I will show this off in the next video. It bugged me, so I ended up looking it up.

Mr. Baps posted:

And then you play a Hideo Kojima game and maybe it'll actually work anyway because the man is a beautiful lunatic.

I'm pretty sure MGS3 actually has a mechanic very similar to what we're talking about.

Man with Hat posted:

And a little thing you missed you can climb the vines where the skulltullas at 15:05 in the video are :ssh: - not that it matters, especially if you're coming back later which it sounded like

Yeah I saw that afterwards in Artix's Master Quest LP. Oh well, I'd need to go back for the second one in that room anyways.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

When you think about it, without a similarly sustainable silicon-based ecosystem to our carbon-based ecosystem (which maybe the Dodongos are part of?), the Gorons will eventually run out of food someday.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

I learned from watching this LP they literally say they can't eat other rocks because the DC ones are so delicious they've been spoiled and can't stomach regular rocks anymore. I love this LP for that, it shows me things I don't notice since I just run through everything when I play

Edit regarding the latest episode, perfect other example of Sticks being good since you kan kill King Dodongo with just two bombs if you'd rather keep bombs than sticks!

Also, fun fact, you can't kill King Dodongo with a single hit, even if you hack the game and make the sword do 100 damage.

Man with Hat fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Mar 16, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

12 - Running Errands

Link takes care of some pesky items near the bottom of his to-do list.