Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

:actually: FYI the heart piece isn't the only prize from Bombchu bowling, there's also a bomb bag upgrade there. I wouldn't blame you not going back for it, though, considering how annoying the game tends to be.

Edit: update on previous page, oops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Later in life, Link was arrested for founding Hyrule's first (and thus far only) fairy-trafficking ring. When questioned, his only response was "the voices wanted to see how much he'd pay!"

When you blew up that sign with Din's Fire I was half expecting you to show off what happens when you play Zelda's Lullaby on a broken sign.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

Explopyro posted:

:actually: FYI the heart piece isn't the only prize from Bombchu bowling, there's also a bomb bag upgrade there. I wouldn't blame you not going back for it, though, considering how annoying the game tends to be.

Oh poo poo, cool. I'm not sure I knew that, I think I always stop playing after I get the heart piece. I guess I'll put it on the to-do list for later.

Commander Keene posted:

When you blew up that sign with Din's Fire I was half expecting you to show off what happens when you play Zelda's Lullaby on a broken sign.

Yeah actually that would have been a good time to do it. I'll have to try and show that at some point.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

13 - Zora's Domain

Link follows the river upstream to meet the Zoras and invests his money wisely.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
For the record, back when they called her the first time when they first got the song, and she just said "come talk to me in person", the reason for that was because you used the song to talk to her... while standing 15 feet away from her.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I think she does that anyways until you clear at least one more plot flag.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

12 - Running Errands

Link takes care of some pesky items near the bottom of his to-do list.

I can't believe you managed to climb that castle vine on your first try twice, that's one of the hardest thing in this game lol.

You had extremely bad luck with the bowling with both times getting the thing on the far right. You can kind of cheese the game though, if you stare straight forward, pull out a chu and hold Z, back up as far as you can, release Z and let it explode it puts you at a perfect angle to stand between line 3 and 4 on the left side of the lane and the chu will go up the wall around all the chickens. Dunno if that makes sense but it makes the bowling a lot less crap. Although you seemed to have figured out how to get yourself a similar angle to the right by yourself!

You can actually get the chest in the royal grave using a glitch called flame storage. If you put away your stick when it's inside a flame it'll get lit when you pull it out again as long as the flame is still loaded (so you can't leave the loading zone), this combined with great movement means you can open the chest early. It is, however, super precise and completely useless in this case, just a fun fact. Especially since you didn't even have a bomb bag last time so it would just be a blupee but flame storage is a cool glitch so I wanted to point it out.

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

13 - Zora's Domain

Link follows the river upstream to meet the Zoras and invests his money wisely.

I love how the description of the beans change as you buy them. And you missed a skulltula in the tree next to the rocks btw. The other one you heard in the cutscene is on the ladder down by the water.

I love how you let the co-hosts figure out a lot of the puzzles while still keeping things moving

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Man with Hat posted:

I love how you let the co-hosts figure out a lot of the puzzles while still keeping things moving

Agreed. It'd be quite hard to me to not just give it away.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

Man with Hat posted:

Carbon dioxide posted:

Agreed. It'd be quite hard to me to not just give it away.

Thanks guys. I am trying to strike a balance where I let them suggest things and try and solve puzzles, but also not get bogged down turning everything into a guessing game. Glad to hear it's going okay.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

You know for the life of me I cannot remember how you get the king to move so I guess I have that to look forward to.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

XX - A Smashing Sidequest

Link must face a fierce gauntlet of interesting challengers.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Different-colored Yoshis have been in since the beginning, Super Mario World had green, yellow, red, and blue Yoshis, which all had different characteristics (mainly what they did when you swallowed a Koopa shell IIRC). Then Yoshi's Island and Yoshi's Story had a veritable rainbow of Yoshi colors, but they were all identical in gameplay, at least in Island.

Speaking of ridiculous character counts, the DBZ Budokai Tenkaichi games topped out at 161 characters in BT3 if you count the various "forms" (like Super Saiyan 1/2/3/4, Freeza's and Cell's forms, etc; frequently they had distinct movesets from the base version of the character) or 98 actual distinct characters otherwise. And Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate has 145 characters, though it's a crossover of the Dynasty and Samurai Warriors (as well as guest characters from most other Koei-Tecmo properties), so it was drawing from a deep well to begin with.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Does it count as a timely April Fools if you watch it a day later? :thunk:

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

14 - Lake Hylia

Link spends a beautiful day taking in the sights by the lakeshore.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.
those were absolutely purple rupees that he tossed out; you picked up two and your purse went from a little over a hundred to totally maxed out, plus they were very clearly not blue or red:

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle
Yep, you're totally right. I didn't think he threw purple ones. Who is teaching these Zoras fiscal responsibility!?!

wakka wakka
Oct 9, 2004

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

Yep, you're totally right. I didn't think he threw purple ones. Who is teaching these Zoras fiscal responsibility!?!

Psh, they don't need to worry about money, they're swimming it it! :haw:

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Honestly, I forgot that there was a heart piece locked behind Ocarina's fishing minigame, and I'm wrestling with the thought of actually booting up my Steam Deck to get it. On the one hand, I'd like to be able to at some point say I hundred percent'd Ocarina, but on the other hand, video game fishing, ugh. The only good video game fishing is in BOTW, IMO.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

Commander Keene posted:

Honestly, I forgot that there was a heart piece locked behind Ocarina's fishing minigame, and I'm wrestling with the thought of actually booting up my Steam Deck to get it. On the one hand, I'd like to be able to at some point say I hundred percent'd Ocarina, but on the other hand, video game fishing, ugh. The only good video game fishing is in BOTW, IMO.

The OoT fishing game is actually quite nice (as far as fishing games go) as it's always the same fish you want so you can learn. There's very little RNG once you know that, and once it's on the hook you can literally just hold the stick in a direction (I know down left works, not sure if other angles work as well) and A and eventually it works out. I mean, of course you have to know this and learning it is a pain in the rear end and totally sucks, but at least it can be learned as opposed to a lot of other RNG dependant fishing minigames (like the stardew valley one mentioned in the video)

SorryNotMorrie about getting past King Zora: "Can we go under?" Why, yes, you can actually! This is one of the parts of OoT that has the most ways to skip it. One of my favorite skips in the game because of how simple it is, but you don't have enough stuff to do it that way yet

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Yelling at the screen when you took the Owl.

I think that's meant as a shortcut back a little later in the game.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Natural 20 posted:

IIRC the owl at the lake reappears. Unlike the owl at the top of Death Mountain which is single use.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

And now I remember why I didn't remember how to move the king. Fuuuuuuck that letter in a bottle.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Carbon dioxide posted:

IIRC the owl at the lake reappears. Unlike the owl at the top of Death Mountain which is single use.

Neither of the shortcuts are single use, unless there's some modded version out there to remove the owl. As long as you're a kid, he's there.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Silly Question, what's the setting in SoH's colour options to make the Ocarina Input do that rainbow flash when you successfully put a song in?

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

Man with Hat posted:

SorryNotMorrie about getting past King Zora: "Can we go under?" Why, yes, you can actually! This is one of the parts of OoT that has the most ways to skip it. One of my favorite skips in the game because of how simple it is, but you don't have enough stuff to do it that way yet

Jeez, speedrunners are something else, man

Natural 20 posted:

I think I know when you think it's for, but I wouldn't use it then.

ConanThe3rd posted:

Silly Question, what's the setting in SoH's colour options to make the Ocarina Input do that rainbow flash when you successfully put a song in?

I haven't changed that many settings in SoH as I was trying to keep it as "default" as possible. Does yours not do that? Or do you mean the original didn't do that?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
it doesn't do that effect in the original nor, as far as I know, default SoH settings.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

15 - Inside Jabu-Jabu's Belly

Link ventures into the belly of the beast and tries to rescue a princess.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
It looks like Lord Jabu-Jabu is based on whale/sea monster illustrations from the 16th Century.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Maybe Ol' Jabs is an afanc?

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

The tail being horizontal rather than vertical is another point in favour of the "mammal, not fish" idea, I think.

IIRC Deku Nuts are actually pretty good at popping the bubbles, especially if they're crowded together. Handy in the compass room.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

It's easy to ignore one sub-weapon or another because of the inventory limits. Deku nuts probably left my inventory almost permanently once I got the fire spell

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Ship of Harkinian is much better about inventory limits, one of the options is allowing the D-Pad to be used as a second set of item buttons. Considering I don't even remember what the D-Pad was used for in OoT (probably nothing considering the N64's dumbass mutant controller tended to make using D-Pad and stick together prohibitive) it seems like a strict upgrade.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

Quantum Toast posted:

IIRC Deku Nuts are actually pretty good at popping the bubbles, especially if they're crowded together. Handy in the compass room.

Yeah, they are. They're also really good against the jellyfish in the boss fight which I didn't know until after I recorded it and saw it in Artix's LP. I feel like I forget about Deku Nuts a lot because it's very hit-or-miss whether they hurt enemies or stun them or do absolutely nothing. Plus the inventory/button issues mentioned.

Commander Keene posted:

Ship of Harkinian is much better about inventory limits, one of the options is allowing the D-Pad to be used as a second set of item buttons. Considering I don't even remember what the D-Pad was used for in OoT (probably nothing considering the N64's dumbass mutant controller tended to make using D-Pad and stick together prohibitive) it seems like a strict upgrade.

Yeah I didn't do this because I was trying to keep the game as true to the original experience as possible, but maybe that's kinda dumb at this point. Although I am actually using a USB N64 controller so using the D-pad really isn't convenient.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

16 - Barinade

Link fights off a vicious parasite and saves both Princess Ruto and Lord Jabu-Jabu.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Is the Big Octo fight modded? I've literally never seen the teleport or the electric jellyfish show up.

Also the Great Fairy of Magic has given you both your spells so far, but the Great Fairy of Power gave you the spin attack!

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Apr 19, 2023

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

I've never seen the jellyfish show up in the Big Octo fight either!

I think it might be because you dallied about a bit in the room before triggering the cutscene that starts the fight, and gave them time to drift down before the fight started. In my experience most people just step forward and trigger it immediately. I don't know how this game works under the hood, but I wonder if the game has a different radius of activation for enemies in and out of miniboss-fight mode?

re: the question of whether you were ever stuck inside Jabu-Jabu, as far as I know you could always leave even in the earliest versions of the game. It definitely doesn't look like you can, though, with the way his mouth/teeth close behind you, so maybe you made an assumption and are remembering that?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

When your co-hosts started talking about The Mandarin and jelly cubes, my nerd brain went, "What does the Iron Man villain have to to with jelly?" I live in the Northeast USA and have never heard of a restaurant by that name.

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

Huh, have their always been jellyfish in the Big Octo fight? I've never seen them before.

Edit: ha, guess I'm not the only one!

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I've been catching up with this LP, wouldn't have thought I could still enjoy watching someone play this game I've played to death myself, but I'm loving it. Great combo of playstyle and fun commentary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smax
Nov 9, 2009

davidspackage posted:

I've been catching up with this LP, wouldn't have thought I could still enjoy watching someone play this game I've played to death myself, but I'm loving it. Great combo of playstyle and fun commentary.

I agree. With the reactions to the characters and things in OoT, I’d like to see everyone’s thoughts on the sometimes hilarious and/or grimdark characters in Majora’s Mask.