Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I can't believe I was listening to a bunch of jocks this whole time! :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

38 - The Spirit Temple (Adults Only)

Link heads back to the future to continue progressing through the Spirit Temple.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
So, fun fact! The rusted switch that you have to hookshot over to in the main room? You CAN make it over to that ledge with just hovers. You have to get a running start toward the ledge with the switch, and roll at the last second before you leave the first platform to get extra distance. But it gives you just enough air time that you can just barely make it to the ledge.

I've been chipping away at an Ocarina Randomizer seed the past couple nights, and have had to make four different trips into the Spirit Temple for various checks. One of them was to activate that switch for a shortcut before I got lullaby to make the chest appear.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

38 - The Spirit Temple (Adults Only)

Link heads back to the future to continue progressing through the Spirit Temple.

The thumbnail and the title reminded me of one of the strangest things in OoT.

The hookshot has some weird locations that can be hit, but someone at Nintendo... well, quoting from TCRF:

The Cutting Room Floor posted:

In an brave effort to subvert society's concept of programming as the domain of sexually-frustrated nerds packed into cubicles, an unnamed-but-heroic martyr cast his very professional reputation on the line to... ensure the goddess statue's nipples were Hookshot-able?

:geno:

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Mirror Shield validates my decision to go Red Tunic all the way to the end of the game

Ocarina of Time is about Fashion

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

The Fashion of Zelda. :colbert:

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

DoubleNegative posted:

So, fun fact! The rusted switch that you have to hookshot over to in the main room? You CAN make it over to that ledge with just hovers. You have to get a running start toward the ledge with the switch, and roll at the last second before you leave the first platform to get extra distance. But it gives you just enough air time that you can just barely make it to the ledge.

I've been chipping away at an Ocarina Randomizer seed the past couple nights, and have had to make four different trips into the Spirit Temple for various checks. One of them was to activate that switch for a shortcut before I got lullaby to make the chest appear.

Zelda Randomizers just seem like masochism to me.

Odd Wilson posted:

The thumbnail and the title reminded me of one of the strangest things in OoT.

The hookshot has some weird locations that can be hit, but someone at Nintendo... well, quoting from TCRF:

:geno:

What the hell? Can't say I ever got the urge to test that out.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
lol that's like the one thing I remember from the Spirit Temple because it's so random and useless.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

Zelda Randomizers just seem like masochism to me.

There's version of those randomizers that assume you know how to glitch through walls or whatever so will put the plot advance items literally anywhere.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

39 - Twinrova

Link faces off against the twin witches and puts a stop to their nefarious schemes.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

I can't imagine the level of self-control needed to not rush through the adult trading sequence as soon as you could. You have a stronger will than I! :v:

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Watching classic OOT graphics running at 60 fps is a little disorientating.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I like that Morrie's first reaction to the words "final showdown" is also to hum The Final Countdown.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I think this comic is now relevant.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Koume and Kotake are wonderful, I love that they still appear in Majora's Mask. The Twinrova fight is cool, but it can wear on your patience. I forget, can you switch Z-targeting from a toggle to "hold to Z-target" in OoT? I've never tried, but it would probably make the boss fight easier.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

There's no real "options" screen in Ocarina, is there? I don't think you can really change any settings in-game. Later games have definitely allowed you to swap between "toggle" and "hold" for Z-targeting but I don't think Ocarina does.

And yeah Twinrova is probably the most annoying fight in the game because of how RNG-reliant it can be.

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

You can actually! There's an options menu in the file select screen.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Ocarina has a hold-to-target option and that's the first thing I flip when I start a new file.

TapamN
Jan 10, 2008
There's a gossip stone near King Zora that tells you real Zelda players use Z-Hold.

...How do I remember that?

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

Remalle posted:

You can actually! There's an options menu in the file select screen.

Dammit. I thought Z-targeting as a toggle felt weird, but I couldn't find the Options menu and just figured my muscle memory was off.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

40 - Gerudo Training Ground

Link undergoes a strenuous training regimen to prepare for the final showdown.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Ah guys the Tarzan mechanism awaits in Wind Waker and Twilight princess.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

"It's not a bad chest, just a small chest" - LP quotes that make me think I'm on the wrong kind of website.

On the Like-Likes, they can't eat the Mirror Shield because it's irreplaceable, as you speculated. (Also, while I'm thinking about the Mirror Shield... fun fact, did you know it can't reflect Deku Nuts? It's actually not just a strict upgrade to the Hylian Shield.)

The Gerudo Training Ground is a fun diversion, but I've always found it one of the weirder aspects of this game. It's very elaborate, but there's almost no reason to do it, especially given how unimpressive the reward works out to be. One gets the impression the ice arrows were stuck there just because the devs were attached to the idea of there being three arrow types, and they had to put them somewhere. (They finally did realise their potential in Majora's Mask, but in this game they're basically just a damage upgrade.)

It's also interesting looking at this area in retrospect, because having a bunch of keys in your inventory at once (and having choices as to which door to open with a given key) is a type of dungeon design that Zelda games have moved more and more away from over the years. After this game it becomes very rare (I can't even think of an example right now) to ever have more than one key at a time, or more than one door it could open, to the point keys functionally don't represent much different from a door that opens when you solve a puzzle.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

Explopyro posted:

The Gerudo Training Ground is a fun diversion, but I've always found it one of the weirder aspects of this game. It's very elaborate, but there's almost no reason to do it, especially given how unimpressive the reward works out to be. One gets the impression the ice arrows were stuck there just because the devs were attached to the idea of there being three arrow types, and they had to put them somewhere. (They finally did realise their potential in Majora's Mask, but in this game they're basically just a damage upgrade.)

Given all the enemies the arrows do work on, including Bongo Bongo, it's pretty odd they're so out of the way. They even work on blade traps, apparently. I mean, thematically it would make sense to put it in the Ice Cavern, but the Iron Boots are already there as part of the natural line in redoing Earth, Fire, Water in order again.

I feel like the Ocarina Randomizer inherently knows how underused the GTG is, because I'll be damned if not every single seed has made me have to grab something particularly important from it.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
For the record, yes; they cannot eat the Mirror Shield. Everything they can eat can be purchased in shops, be it the Red or Blue Tunics, or Hylian Shields. They have to be; what if you got the Mirror Shield, then got it eaten by a Likelike before fighting Twinrova, then left the area or something? You'd be soft-locked and unable to progress.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

Explopyro posted:

It's also interesting looking at this area in retrospect, because having a bunch of keys in your inventory at once (and having choices as to which door to open with a given key) is a type of dungeon design that Zelda games have moved more and more away from over the years. After this game it becomes very rare (I can't even think of an example right now) to ever have more than one key at a time, or more than one door it could open, to the point keys functionally don't represent much different from a door that opens when you solve a puzzle.

I wonder if this is just a product of simplified game design. Must be annoying to design dungeons where you have options, but that don't potentially screw you over or render the dungeon mostly optional (like the bottom of the well).

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

I wonder if this is just a product of simplified game design. Must be annoying to design dungeons where you have options, but that don't potentially screw you over or render the dungeon mostly optional (like the bottom of the well).

It's likely a product of all the issues around the water temple. The big problem there is you can go like three rooms deep into the Dark Link area only to find a locked door, ditto the boss key area.

And it turns out doing tonnes of work only to have to turn around and go back the way you came is pretty demoralising.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

41 - Trading Up

Link completes a long chain of fetch quests to claim a big reward.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

SilverChaser posted:

[Epona will] jump over a broken bridge, but she won't go over a small foot bridge.
From what I understand, that's horses.txt. They can get very skittish about the strangest things sometimes.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Fun fact! That bean sprout Silver and Morrie kept asking about is a fantastic shortcut up part of Death Mountain for the final leg of the eye drops run. It drops you off at the top of the next hill, up where the hidden cow grotto is.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Regarding Sad Boy, it is worth noting that Granny specified that while it was the strongest medicine she'd ever created, it will not work on a monster. He was Lost to the Woods and became a Monster before we could get it to him.

Cradok
Sep 28, 2013
I might have missed it, but why did you go back to before you beat the last temple? Why not just keep as is, or do it after?

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Cradok posted:

I might have missed it, but why did you go back to before you beat the last temple? Why not just keep as is, or do it after?

I believe because it causes an area he still needs to visit for cleanup to start the Endgame, making it a Point Of No Return.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

DoubleNegative posted:

Fun fact! That bean sprout Silver and Morrie kept asking about is a fantastic shortcut up part of Death Mountain for the final leg of the eye drops run. It drops you off at the top of the next hill, up where the hidden cow grotto is.

Oh interesting. I actually thought it only went up above the cave, but I never bothered to check.

BlazetheInferno posted:

Regarding Sad Boy, it is worth noting that Granny specified that while it was the strongest medicine she'd ever created, it will not work on a monster. He was Lost to the Woods and became a Monster before we could get it to him.

Yeah her comment about it not working on a monster seems strange when she says it out of nowhere. In retrospect, she knew more than we did about what was going on.

Cradok posted:

Next video is the round-up. I want to be able to turn into a kid again, but the Temple of Time is progress. That was the easiest way to keep things happening in a good order.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

DoubleNegative posted:

I just ran from Lake Hylia to Kokiri Village and took the Lost Woods shortcut to Goron City.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Commander Keene posted:

I just ran from Lake Hylia to Kokiri Village and took the Lost Woods shortcut to Goron City.

Is that route any shorter? I can't remember what routes I used to use as a kid, but as far as I can remember, I've always done the route Frenzy did in the video.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I took the Lost Woods route too, was sweating when I realized Frenzy wasn't even going to go through the back door in Darunia's room, but up the mountain instead.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I can't say definitively which route takes less time, but I believe the Lost Woods - Goron City route is less overall distance traveled? It might still be faster to take Epona through Hyrule Field though because you're moving faster.

This is Ocarina though, people have probably exhaustively researched which route is objectively faster long ago.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

42 - The Round-Up

Link runs all over the place collecting the last few remaining items.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

On the subject of Link getting lost in the Lost Woods and becoming a Stalfos, there is the Hero's Shade in Twilight Princess...