Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

Natural 20 posted:

Also the Great Fairy of Magic has given you both your spells so far, but the Great Fairy of Power gave you the spin attack!

Ahhh that makes a lot of sense.

Natural 20 posted:

Is the Big Octo fight modded? I've literally never seen the teleport or the electric jellyfish show up.

Explopyro posted:

I've never seen the jellyfish show up in the Big Octo fight either!

I think it might be because you dallied about a bit in the room before triggering the cutscene that starts the fight, and gave them time to drift down before the fight started. In my experience most people just step forward and trigger it immediately. I don't know how this game works under the hood, but I wonder if the game has a different radius of activation for enemies in and out of miniboss-fight mode?

Remalle posted:

Huh, have their always been jellyfish in the Big Octo fight? I've never seen them before.

Edit: ha, guess I'm not the only one!

The Big Octo definitely has always done the "teleport" thing if you take too long without either catching up to him or him catching up to you. But yeah I didn't remember the jellyfish being part of this fight either, although they showed up in my test runs as well. I'm not sure if it's something weird going on with SoH, or if I'm just the first person to take more than 5 second to throw Ruto up there since 1998.

Explopyro posted:

re: the question of whether you were ever stuck inside Jabu-Jabu, as far as I know you could always leave even in the earliest versions of the game. It definitely doesn't look like you can, though, with the way his mouth/teeth close behind you, so maybe you made an assumption and are remembering that?

Me just being wrong is always a distinct possibility.

davidspackage posted:

I've been catching up with this LP, wouldn't have thought I could still enjoy watching someone play this game I've played to death myself, but I'm loving it. Great combo of playstyle and fun commentary.

Thanks, man. I was a little hesitant to start this one, because I wasn't sure anyone would want to watch another LP of this game, but I've also been enjoying having the girls getting their first look at it.

smax posted:

I agree. With the reactions to the characters and things in OoT, I’d like to see everyone’s thoughts on the sometimes hilarious and/or grimdark characters in Majora’s Mask.

I definitely want to do Majora's Mask in this style at some point as well, but it might not be directly after. I was hoping that MM would be getting a similar SoH treatment, but last I checked that effort had kind of stagnated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Hey, congrats on getting all the stones and beating the game. Weirdly short for a flagship title on the console but there we go.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

17 - The Temple of Time

Link completes his quest to return the Spiritual Stones to the Temple of Time and protect the Triforce.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I’m not sure I ever knew that guard was in the alleys.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Genuinely having so much fun with how shocked the crew was with the time skip.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Big, big part of this LP's charm is seeing you show off all the big and small stuff and the crew's reactions. Reminds me of when I was seeing it all for the first time as a kid.

Cradok
Sep 28, 2013
I will never get tired of Silver and Morrie's insistence that Link is 300.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Cradok posted:

No...

Kibayasu posted:

I’m not sure I ever knew that guard was in the alleys.

I'm sure I never knew, I would've remembered him dying, jeez.

It made me consider I never thought about what happened to the actual king of Hyrule that you never see. Did Ganondorf kill him?

davidspackage fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Apr 26, 2023

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

The thing with that guard in the alley is, he only appears in the very short time after you get the three stones, and before you pull out the Master Sword. He's gone after. And most people would run directly to the temple after getting the Ocarina.

Also, Frenzy, I have no idea how the hell you got away with having adult Link on screen in that Smash April Fools vid without spoiling this whole thing to the ladies.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I love that as the camera pans around Link at the end of the cutscene right in front of Castle Town, you can still see Zelda's and Ganondorf's horses galloping away. Pretty sure the aspect ratio cutoffs hid that back on an actual N64. :newlol:

SorryNotMorrie's prediction was honestly too good for Ocarina's plot. I don't think I'm rocking the boat here by saying that Zelda games generally aren't great for their writing, and a game where you have to team up with Ganon(dorf) against some other evil would be cool. Mario's teamed up with Bowser several times (and had at least once by the time Ocarina had come out - in SMRPG), why can't Link team up with his antagonist? I suppose we'll probably never find out, considering Miyamoto apparently hates plot in video games or something like that.

SilverChaser on the other hand was remarkably on the ball with her prediction, even remembering the intro cutscene where Link was having a nightmare. She didn't quite call what would happen, but got pretty close.

Both jumped right on the "Sheik is Zelda" train right away though :lol:

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Commander Keene posted:

Mario's teamed up with Bowser several times (and had at least once by the time Ocarina had come out - in SMRPG), why can't Link team up with his antagonist?

To be fair, Bowser is basically just a selfish destructive goofball.

Ganondorf is The reincarnation of the personification of evil, chained by destiny to try to kill Link and Zelda.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

BlazetheInferno posted:

To be fair, Bowser is basically just a selfish destructive goofball.

Ganondorf is The reincarnation of the personification of evil, chained by destiny to try to kill Link and Zelda.
I don't think that particular bit of the canon had been codified by the time of OoT, though. Y'know, considering the game that particular factoid was in didn't come out until at least a decade later.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I'm just saying in general, not for this game in particular. The characters have kinda gone in different antagonistic directions.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Hell, if they're that chained to "Ganon MUST be the ultimate bad guy every time, no exceptions" they could do a game where you have to team up with him temporarily to take out a new threat but he still ends up being the final boss. Maybe it looks like he's going to turn over a new leaf for a while but either it was a Dr. Wily style fakeout or something ends up happening to rekindle the evil (the old "he hit his head and had amnesia and then remembers who he was" saw, or maybe something happens to something or someone he cares about). Maybe the new threat is something that even Ganondorf with all his hatred and lust for vengeance can't ignore to focus on his preferred targets - it's a threat to him personally, or wants to outright destroy Hyrule rather than rule with an iron fist/torment its inhabitants. Maybe he just can't let anyone other than himself kill Link/Zelda. There's ways to go with this where it can still work within the framework they've established, even nowadays.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Do you think Ganondorf and Vaati would be all buddy-buddy?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Heck, just have the Act 1 antagonists of this hypothetical game be cultists trying to resurrect the original incarnation of Demise - which requires Ganondorf's soul - and you have a good enough reason for Big G to team up with Link, and maybe even fake a redemption arc.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

Cradok posted:

I'm still trying to dissuade them of the idea. We'll get some help with that soon...

Carbon dioxide posted:

Also, Frenzy, I have no idea how the hell you got away with having adult Link on screen in that Smash April Fools vid without spoiling this whole thing to the ladies.

Lol, the trick is that it was recorded out of order. We did the Smash Bros video after this most recent video, but before the next one. I specifically avoided using an item in Smash Bros that we haven't actually seen in game yet, but the girls did already know that we turn into an adult.

Commander Keene posted:

Hell, if they're that chained to "Ganon MUST be the ultimate bad guy every time, no exceptions" they could do a game where you have to team up with him temporarily to take out a new threat but he still ends up being the final boss. Maybe it looks like he's going to turn over a new leaf for a while but either it was a Dr. Wily style fakeout or something ends up happening to rekindle the evil (the old "he hit his head and had amnesia and then remembers who he was" saw, or maybe something happens to something or someone he cares about). Maybe the new threat is something that even Ganondorf with all his hatred and lust for vengeance can't ignore to focus on his preferred targets - it's a threat to him personally, or wants to outright destroy Hyrule rather than rule with an iron fist/torment its inhabitants. Maybe he just can't let anyone other than himself kill Link/Zelda. There's ways to go with this where it can still work within the framework they've established, even nowadays.

I don't think there's a way to make Ganondorf pretend to be good or otherwise be presented that way, because the player wouldn't believe it and that's always super unsatisfying. I do like the idea of a temporary truce because some other threat wants to destroy Hyrule and Ganondorf realizes there's no point ruling over a pile of ash, but I think you'd still have to fight him at some point. The whole idea kinda reminds me of the half of a level in Halo 3 where you are teamed up with the Flood. Like, you never believe that they are actually on your side, but you are very temporarily aligned in your goals.

The other thing that could work if you really wanted to do a Ganondorf redemption is have him be the bad guy throughout the whole game, but at the end reveal that he's been possessed by some other entity. Of course, if that sounds familiar that's because it's basically the villain in Majora's Mask.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
It would be amusing to have Ganondorf try to turn it around and be a good guy, and everyone's on board to support him except Zelda and Link who're always giving him the stinkeye and complaining about him being trusted. Then Ganondorf gets fed up with it and decides "gently caress it, might as well" and goes evil again.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

18 - Revisiting Kakariko Village

Link heads back to Kakariko Village to see how it's changed over the years.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Don't forget to check the Pocket Cucco's EVs!

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

BlazetheInferno posted:

I'm just saying in general, not for this game in particular. The characters have kinda gone in different antagonistic directions.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Video Games > Let’s Play > Play a few notes and he feels like rage-fapping again. Let’s Play Ocarina of Time!

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
grinding his organ

cranking his instrument

winding his mill

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Commander Keene posted:

Heck, just have the Act 1 antagonists of this hypothetical game be cultists trying to resurrect the original incarnation of Demise - which requires Ganondorf's soul - and you have a good enough reason for Big G to team up with Link, and maybe even fake a redemption arc.

That's just Hyrule Warriors plot, partially at least.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Not really, though? I guess you could say that's Girahim's goal, but the true Act 1 villain, Cia, doesn't really care about Demise and thinks she's using Ganondorf towards her goal of killing Zelda and getting in Link's pants when in fact he's manipulating her into putting him into a position where he can be revived again.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

19 - Horsing Around

Link explores more of post-Ganondorf Hyrule and engages in a lot of horse play.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Lemniscate Blue posted:

It would be amusing to have Ganondorf try to turn it around and be a good guy, and everyone's on board to support him except Zelda and Link who're always giving him the stinkeye and complaining about him being trusted. Then Ganondorf gets fed up with it and decides "gently caress it, might as well" and goes evil again.

That's kinda what they do at the end of Wind Waker when Ganondorf's like "Y'know I hate sand it's coarse and gets everywhere loving hated the desert where I grew up and I suppose I just envied Hyrule's prosperity, honestly now all I want is to use the Triforce to bring back that world instead of this huge ocean" and the player's probably like "wow you know he has a point life gave him a raw deal" and maybe even sympathizing with him...

...But then he can't help himself and in the 11th hour right before he gets to lay his hand on the Triforce he's like "Gods please bring back Hyrule... AND LET ME RULE IT HAHAHA" and then he gets foiled again.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
TAKE THE INSIDE LINE FRENZY OH GOD.

Cradok
Sep 28, 2013
Frenzy I believe in you Frenzy I don't believe in you!

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Natural 20 posted:

TAKE THE INSIDE LINE FRENZY OH GOD.

He’s giving us that real first time experience! :v:

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle
Turns out that I am just as bad at riding the horse as I am at driving a Warthog.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

Turns out that I am just as bad at riding the horse as I am at driving a Warthog.

Ungulates, amiright?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

Have you tried riding a camel, they're way different from horses?

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I love how disappointed SilverChaser and SorryNotMorrie were at the end, for having to stop :3:

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

This LP continues to be really charming and fun, thanks Frenzy :3:

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

Carbon dioxide posted:

Have you tried riding a camel, they're way different from horses?

The only things I know about riding camels comes from Terry Pratchett books, and I believe the advice was "avoid if at all possible ".

Mr. Baps posted:

This LP continues to be really charming and fun, thanks Frenzy :3:

Glad you're enjoying it!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Someone somewhere has definitely doodled what would actually happen if Epona jumped the outer wall instead of the front gate.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I didn't even know you COULD jump over the front gate.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I always wondered a bit what happens with Ingo after you run off with Epona. Was it a magic spell? Did Talon kick his rear end? Is he just scared of Ganondorf so he gives the ranch back to Talon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle
I feel like breaking some sort of curse fits thematically with the game and everything else Link gets up to. But I tend to believe that Ingo just realized that if Ganondorf is going to be mad about a horse, then he doesn't want to be the one in charge when it happens.