Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

TwoPair posted:

Man I do not remember having to beat the chest game or that the Lens of Truth could see through chests at all. I know for a fact I've done a 100% run before so I must have known at some point but man that just slips away, huh?

Case in point a lot like our host I also don't remember if I ever found the Forest Stage and I'm pretty sure most of the time I used a strategy guide. Maybe those guides didn't care about deku nuts, deku sticks, or travelling back to town every time either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

TwoPair posted:

Man I do not remember having to beat the chest game or that the Lens of Truth could see through chests at all. I know for a fact I've done a 100% run before so I must have known at some point but man that just slips away, huh?

It can't, the chests in the minigame are special actors. There's a gossip stone that tells you about using it to cheat at the chest game though.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Artix posted:

There's a gossip stone that tells you about using it to cheat at the chest game though.

That one was shown off in the video.

I never realized the gossip stones name dropped the owl, twice. I’ve somehow never looked at those two before.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Interesting, the Zelda Wiki says the Scrubs in the Forest Stage are supposed to hate the Spooky Mask, but you had them dancing in their seats. I wonder if aside from the checks for the Skull Mask and the Mask of Truth the mask checks are done in a way that the quick switch fucks up?

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

We're told that the Sheikah have served the Hyrule Royal Family for a long time, but we're told this as they introduce Impa as Zelda's nanny. Which makes their service seem pretty benign. Considering the ninja stuff and what we find beneath the well and in the Shadow Temple, it seems more likely that they were spies, assassins, torturers, etc.
Could be that in the past the Shiekah were more involved in the intelligence/black ops sector but nowadays since Hyrule is more peaceful they get cushy posts like being the Princess' nanny/bodyguard.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.
I mean, it probably pays pretty drat well to have your heir's nanny also be a master spy. Cuts down on the assassination attempts, I'd imagine.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

sebzilla posted:

Zonai (but disguised as an old man/owl for inscrutable reasons)

MarquiseMindfang posted:

The owl is his real form, obviously. He just knew you wouldn't accept a world-saving quest from a bird. (Trees are fine though.)

TwoPair posted:

The Exposition Tribe, obviously

So a Zonai, a Rito, or a Narrator.

Commander Keene posted:

Interesting, the Zelda Wiki says the Scrubs in the Forest Stage are supposed to hate the Spooky Mask, but you had them dancing in their seats. I wonder if aside from the checks for the Skull Mask and the Mask of Truth the mask checks are done in a way that the quick switch fucks up?

I really think it's random. Other than the specific two, I got different responses during my test run when I did it the same way.

Commander Keene posted:

Could be that in the past the Shiekah were more involved in the intelligence/black ops sector but nowadays since Hyrule is more peaceful they get cushy posts like being the Princess' nanny/bodyguard.

This would make a lot of sense. They still serve the royal family, there's just a lot more babysitting and a lot less torturing to do.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Most of the guides back in the day always claimed that each mask always got the same reaction, but I suspect they may not have done a whole lot of testing with the ones that don't give rewards.

TapamN
Jan 10, 2008
Looking at the OOT decompilation, the mask reactions are random, but different masks have different odds.

The first time the Skull Mask and Mask of Truth are used are treated as special cases and always behave the same way.

Otherwise, it looks like it works out to there being three groups of masks (although the code was designed to support more variety):
Group A: 37.5% chance of hating it (attack), 37.5% chance of liking it (courtyard music), and 25% chance of loving it (shop music).
Group B: 50% chance of hating it, 25% chance of liking it, and 25% chance of loving it.
Group C: 37.5% chance of hating it, 25% chance of liking it. 25% chance of loving it, and 12.5% chance of no reaction.

Group A masks are Keaton, Skull, Zora, and Gerudo.
Group B masks are Spooky, Bunny, and Goron.
Group C is Mask of Truth. This group is actually the result of a bug, since they forgot to include real odds for the Mask of Truth.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

33 - The Shadow Temple

Link enters the Shadow Temple and encounters horrors both seen and unseen.

TapamN posted:

Looking at the OOT decompilation, the mask reactions are random, but different masks have different odds.

The first time the Skull Mask and Mask of Truth are used are treated as special cases and always behave the same way.

Otherwise, it looks like it works out to there being three groups of masks (although the code was designed to support more variety):
Group A: 37.5% chance of hating it (attack), 37.5% chance of liking it (courtyard music), and 25% chance of loving it (shop music).
Group B: 50% chance of hating it, 25% chance of liking it, and 25% chance of loving it.
Group C: 37.5% chance of hating it, 25% chance of liking it. 25% chance of loving it, and 12.5% chance of no reaction.

Group A masks are Keaton, Skull, Zora, and Gerudo.
Group B masks are Spooky, Bunny, and Goron.
Group C is Mask of Truth. This group is actually the result of a bug, since they forgot to include real odds for the Mask of Truth.

So what does that make the probability of getting all good reactions like I did?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Once again I am wowed by tech in shown in this LP.

I had no idea that you could see Dead Hands with the lens of truth and again, I've played this game a lot.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
I really appreciate that Morrie and Silver both were so unnerved by the Shadow Temple that it was messing with their puzzle senses. :3:

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Dead Hand is definitely the grossest enemy. It even twitches while it fades out after being defeated. The worst.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

Natural 20 posted:

Once again I am wowed by tech in shown in this LP.

I had no idea that you could see Dead Hands with the lens of truth and again, I've played this game a lot.

It really is amazing how many new little details I'm learning while doing this. There's really no reason to look for an alternate way to fight the dead hand because getting grabbed by one of the hands is quick and has no downside beyond the creep factor. I only found the other method out because I was looking through various zelda wikis, trying to find a better picture for the thumbnail.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

So what does that make the probability of getting all good reactions like I did?

Napkin math, assuming you didn't show Skull or Truth again after the first time, about 3% for never getting attacked while showing all masks?

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

34 - Bongo Bongo

Link follows the beat of the drum and confronts the monster deep below.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

And now Impa is now the sage of the BDSM temple, as it should be.

Anyways what a delightfully bizarre design for a boss. Doesn't even matter that it has nothing to do with whatever it going on the temple.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I remember Bongo Bongo giving me an unusual amount of challenge in the game when I played back in the day. I mean it's such an easy process on paper, and he's not nearly as in your face as other bosses, but he just whipped my rear end the first couple of times. Maybe I just placed too much faith in the hover boots being some magic bullet that'd make the fight trivial when in actuality they do very little and debatably make it harder.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

TwoPair posted:

I remember Bongo Bongo giving me an unusual amount of challenge in the game when I played back in the day. I mean it's such an easy process on paper, and he's not nearly as in your face as other bosses, but he just whipped my rear end the first couple of times. Maybe I just placed too much faith in the hover boots being some magic bullet that'd make the fight trivial when in actuality they do very little and debatably make it harder.

Even with my practice run, the boss fight still gave me a little trouble just from bad timing. If you're a kid and you just spam arrows until you run out, I can see it being a tough time. It is so very weird that the hover boots don't help and are not necessary at all though.

Kibayasu posted:

And now Impa is now the sage of the BDSM temple

Yep, there's a sentence I never expected to read.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

35 - Gerudo's Fortress

Link heads west and gets into some trouble with the warrior women of the desert.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

IIRC in the Gerudo fights if you get hit by their normal slash attacks three times they arrest you, but one hit from that corkscrew attack and you're in jail.

The carpenters' names are decided by the order you rescue them, and literally just mean "First Son", "Second Son", "Third Son", and "Fourth Son" in Japanese.

The color of the clothing and makeup of the Gerudo who directs you to Nabooru and gives you the membership card is determined by what tunic Link is wearing, at least in the original N64 version of the game.

Your Cohosts posted:

Going undercover [as a Gerudo] would be cool
*Laughs in BOTW*

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
A bit marked in known cheeky magazine N64 Magazine as, and I quote, "Metal Gerudo Solid"

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

Commander Keene posted:

IIRC in the Gerudo fights if you get hit by their normal slash attacks three times they arrest you, but one hit from that corkscrew attack and you're in jail.

The carpenters' names are decided by the order you rescue them, and literally just mean "First Son", "Second Son", "Third Son", and "Fourth Son" in Japanese.

The color of the clothing and makeup of the Gerudo who directs you to Nabooru and gives you the membership card is determined by what tunic Link is wearing, at least in the original N64 version of the game.

Ok, that's a bunch of things I didn't know.

Commander Keene posted:

Your Cohosts posted:

Going undercover [as a Gerudo] would be cool

*Laughs in BOTW*

Hah, yeah, as soon as they said that I was like, "Do I tell them?" But I didn't think I really had time, and they'd probably demand I play BOTW for them, and I definitely don't have time for that.

ConanThe3rd posted:

A bit marked in known cheeky magazine N64 Magazine as, and I quote, "Metal Gerudo Solid"

Extremely fitting.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

36 - Haunted Wasteland

Link braves the trials of the desert to make his way to the Spirit Temple.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

I've never actually used the hover boots for the "river of sand", you can just use the hookshot on the crates on the other side. (That said, I don't think I ever tried using them to not sink into the sand, either.) I think I said earlier, as long as you get the Lens of Truth there's nothing stopping you from doing Spirit before Shadow.

I also didn't know the ghost goes in a circle at the end, and then actually goes toward the flags! You don't actually have to follow it in the circle, as soon as you see the pair of flags you can just run toward them and be successful, and that's what I always did.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Pretty sure the Lens isn't strictly necessary for anything in the game, and even without glitches most non-100% speedruns skip it (and the Bottom of the Well) completely. You don't even have to follow the ghost, there's just a maze of whiteout walls in the desert and if you know where to go you can get through without the ghost and his meandering path.

I suppose Spirit is the only actual temple with the duality thing going on, but I personally always just count Bottom of the Well as a part of Shadow, so I kinda feel like that one counts as well (:rimshot: ) IMO.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Occasionally my eyes drift to the quick menu on the right and the items start looking like a little scarecrow man.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

My brain is always telling me that changing time is more mandatory than it actually is but I think that's all the side stuff, or maybe just the magic beans.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
It would have been cool if there were somehow some sort of way you could switch back and forth without the Temple of Time visit and make a lot of unique puzzles in the Spirit Temple instead of just using it like one time near the beginning. I mean, I know why you can't, from a story perspective and a "can't just flip back and forth without some sort of load screen and that'll get real old real fast" reason. Though in that case I suppose you'd have to give the Links more substantially different loadouts to make it real fun. Because as it stands the only real difference is that Kid Link does less damage in general, and has the boomerang instead of the hookshot. Oh and can plant beans, I guess...

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

Commander Keene posted:

Pretty sure the Lens isn't strictly necessary for anything in the game, and even without glitches most non-100% speedruns skip it (and the Bottom of the Well) completely. You don't even have to follow the ghost, there's just a maze of whiteout walls in the desert and if you know where to go you can get through without the ghost and his meandering path.

I suppose Spirit is the only actual temple with the duality thing going on, but I personally always just count Bottom of the Well as a part of Shadow, so I kinda feel like that one counts as well (:rimshot: ) IMO.

Wait, is it possible to fight Bongo Bongo without the Lens? Like, I guess it should be if you know where his eye is, but even thinking about it is kinda weirding me out.

And that's an excellent point about the Bottom of the Well. I wasn't counting it because it's an obviously different area, but the distinction is pretty minor when I really think about it.

Kibayasu posted:

My brain is always telling me that changing time is more mandatory than it actually is but I think that's all the side stuff, or maybe just the magic beans.

I feel like when I was a kid playing this game I was switching all the time just to go exploring. But yeah, it was probably actually mostly to hunt skulltulas and pieces of heart more than anything.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Yeah, speedruns just shoot and power crouch stab the air where his eye should be until he dies. I recommend checking out DoctorKill's LP of Ocarina (and Majora as well), I learned a lot about these games from those LPs.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
The adult dungeons trend towards increasing complexity to access the dungeon, with the first two being relatively simple methods of getting an item and then beelining to the dungeon. The water temple introducing the concept of a mini dungeon but little else, the shadow temple similarly having a mini dungeon, but with a small puzzle and time travel to open it and now finally, the spirit temple which has the Gerudo hideout, then the haunted wasteland and then a dungeon integrated with the temple itself.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

TwoPair posted:

It would have been cool if there were somehow some sort of way you could switch back and forth without the Temple of Time visit and make a lot of unique puzzles in the Spirit Temple instead of just using it like one time near the beginning. I mean, I know why you can't, from a story perspective and a "can't just flip back and forth without some sort of load screen and that'll get real old real fast" reason. Though in that case I suppose you'd have to give the Links more substantially different loadouts to make it real fun. Because as it stands the only real difference is that Kid Link does less damage in general, and has the boomerang instead of the hookshot. Oh and can plant beans, I guess...

There is some evidence that this was originally the plan with this game.

So, the Blocks of Time, those blocks with the Door of Time symbol on them that appear/disappear when you play the song?

Those are actually coded to move through time. Like, if you play the song as an adult, and a block disappears, it appears in the past when you go there as a kid. So they were planning puzzles around this, where you had to move time blocks through time and then follow after them.

In the end, almost all blocks of time appear in dungeons that you can only access as either a kid or an adult, not both. So generally you can't even see this effect.

With one exception, IIRC in an optional room in Goron City. And that one works as expected, if you make the block of time disappear as an adult and then go all the way to the temple of time, become a child, and then go all the way back to the room you will see the block now exists in the past.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

37 - The Spirit Temple (Kid's Club)

Link must reconnect with his inner child to complete the first part of the temple.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
The intense debate over the morality of returning the gauntlets is what I'm here for.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Love the feature pillars in the Iron Knuckle room that don't even come close to reaching the ceiling.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

TwoPair posted:

Well, kid can crawl and adult use the silver gauntlets, which is kind of the whole point of the temple :v:.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

The wooden shield chests all give a blue rupee or something if you already got a wooden shield.

fatsleepycat
Oct 2, 2021

Carbon dioxide posted:

The wooden shield chests all give a blue rupee or something if you already got a wooden shield.

I'm pretty sure they have a red rupee in that scenario, but maybe it's blue. It's definitely money.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

Natural 20 posted:

The intense debate over the morality of returning the gauntlets is what I'm here for.

I mean, really we could get the gauntlets, go forward in time, move the block, then go back in time and give them to Nabooru and she wouldn't even know. So many options.

Carbon dioxide posted:

I forgot to check, but I assumed it was something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cradok
Sep 28, 2013
Those were some pretty impressive air quotes you put on 'puzzle'.