Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon
Good Let's Play! I just caught up and had some things I wanted to mention about mechanics since I love OOT mechanics.

You say that the stick is useless for fighting at some point but fun fact, it actually does twice the damage that the Kokiri Sword does! Jump slashes also do twice the damage and crouch stabbing does the same damage as your last attack so if you do a jump slash with a stick you can then crouch stab for 8x the damage of a regular sword slash! This is not at all necessary for regular fights but it's a fun mechanic.

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

06 - The Graveyard[/url]

There is actually a way to light the torches in the composer's grave at thus point but it requires a glitch. Would people like a short video showing off some glitches that can be done by this point in the game without spoiling what's coming up?

If you freeze the ReDead (also, the Zombies are named ReDead which is an amazing name) in the graveyard you get a chest.

Dampe digging is indeed completely random and the bane of many speedruns.

EP. 07

RE: Cuccos - They actually always land at the same place, knowing this made it about a million times easier for me to beat it. And there is a very very subtle difference in how they move but I can't see it and don't remember what it is.

There are 100 Gold Skulltulas in the game. Spoiled in case you don't want to know for whatever reason.

And RE Song order in the menu from the latest video: I think they assumed you'd go get Saria's song in the forest after Deku Tree and that's why there's an empty slot.

Hope this post doesn't come off as too :actually: I just like OoT minutia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

BlazetheInferno posted:

Shame the stick breaks after a single hit.

That's why I also brought up the mechanics of crouch stabbing. Jump slash the air with the stick, crouch stab with the sword for 8x damage. No broken stick, a billion extra damage. But you can also kill a ReDead with a single stick with a jumpslash, for example, which might be worth it at certain points.

And also, as Odd Wilson mentioned, there are glitches around this but with just a sword and a shield you can crouch stab away all day glitchless.

Edit: A little fact about the latest video is that not only is your stick timer reset when you light a torch, all timed fires have their timer reset!

Man with Hat fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Feb 22, 2023

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

whitehelm posted:

I'm pretty sure crouch-stabbing keeping the previous attack's damage is a glitch.

I'd call it a weird programming thing since it's just how an intentionally built in attack works. Probably a programming oversight but this is all semantics and doesn't really matter at the end of the day. The point is it's easy as hell to do and fun and rad.

That Ocarina Play along game is the second worst mini game in the entirety of OoT. Takes forever and three times is way too much. Good job getting through it on the first try, I have to write down the 8 note one

Saria's Song also lets you talk to Navi! Works if you've forgotten where to go or missed something she said in one of her timed prompts, so you don't have to wait for 15 minutes for the "Hey! Listen!"

Also, very strange mechanical fact about the Wolfos (the wolf enemy) is that they have a set ammount of health but take different damage from the back than from the front. This isn't that strange, what's strange is that different weapons have different multipliers for hitting them in the back. A slingshot shot and a stab with the sword usually do the same damage but if you hit a wolfos in the back with them, the sword kills it but the slingshot does not. The stick has a higher multiplier than the kokiri sword too, on top of having a higher base damage. That, of course, doesn't make any practical difference since they die from one hit either way which is why it's so dang weird.

Man with Hat fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Mar 1, 2023

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

Carbon dioxide posted:

Frenzy, IIRC it only takes two bugs to get a Skulltula to pop up. You can pop open a bottle, quickly re-catch one of the three, and have the other two get the Skulltula. Or you can just release the bugs anywhere and then catch two of them in separate bottles. Either way, infinite source of bugs.

You actually only need one! But yes, the infinite bugs trick is definitely a thing which is useful if you're gonna go around hunting skulltulas in softsoil! There's only 9 of them in the entire game so it's not like a huge deal to get new bugs if you want your bottle space for other things.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

In this LP I'm sorta trying to present things the way I think the game wants you to, to give the ladies the full experience. So I'm doing things in a specific order, including showing all the puzzle solving steps instead of just going where I know we need to go. As smax says, Navi's hint after talking to Princess Zelda is something like "I wonder what Saria would say about us saving hyrule". So if you're taking your cues from her, you might end up getting the song before heading up to Goron City. I personally think the game wants you to do things the way I did because it wants you to discover the shortcut. Darunia tells you that he wants forest music, and then there's an obvious torch lighting side quest that leads to a Goron who talks about being able to hear the forest music down the tunnel. There's a similar situation with the Zora's Domain/Lake Hylia shortcut.

I think you're right in what they expect in that Darunia - Saria. I also think that's where they intended for you to learn to play ZL to get into secret royal family places. I never thought about it before now but you speaking to the gorons and the number of hints they gave made me realize that's probably the thing, which would explain the song order in the menu a bit more as well.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

Kibayasu posted:

Your co-hosts had a classic case of solving the puzzle in a few seconds then talking themselves out of it :v:

Yeah, this was great, going from the solution to "Something with lasers" (which in its own way also makes sense).

I agree with your cohost who said you have killer aim. It's really drat hard hitting those bats imo.

And a little thing you missed you can climb the vines where the skulltullas at 15:05 in the video are :ssh: - not that it matters, especially if you're coming back later which it sounded like

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

I learned from watching this LP they literally say they can't eat other rocks because the DC ones are so delicious they've been spoiled and can't stomach regular rocks anymore. I love this LP for that, it shows me things I don't notice since I just run through everything when I play

Edit regarding the latest episode, perfect other example of Sticks being good since you kan kill King Dodongo with just two bombs if you'd rather keep bombs than sticks!

Also, fun fact, you can't kill King Dodongo with a single hit, even if you hack the game and make the sword do 100 damage.

Man with Hat fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Mar 16, 2023

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

12 - Running Errands

Link takes care of some pesky items near the bottom of his to-do list.

I can't believe you managed to climb that castle vine on your first try twice, that's one of the hardest thing in this game lol.

You had extremely bad luck with the bowling with both times getting the thing on the far right. You can kind of cheese the game though, if you stare straight forward, pull out a chu and hold Z, back up as far as you can, release Z and let it explode it puts you at a perfect angle to stand between line 3 and 4 on the left side of the lane and the chu will go up the wall around all the chickens. Dunno if that makes sense but it makes the bowling a lot less crap. Although you seemed to have figured out how to get yourself a similar angle to the right by yourself!

You can actually get the chest in the royal grave using a glitch called flame storage. If you put away your stick when it's inside a flame it'll get lit when you pull it out again as long as the flame is still loaded (so you can't leave the loading zone), this combined with great movement means you can open the chest early. It is, however, super precise and completely useless in this case, just a fun fact. Especially since you didn't even have a bomb bag last time so it would just be a blupee but flame storage is a cool glitch so I wanted to point it out.

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

13 - Zora's Domain

Link follows the river upstream to meet the Zoras and invests his money wisely.

I love how the description of the beans change as you buy them. And you missed a skulltula in the tree next to the rocks btw. The other one you heard in the cutscene is on the ladder down by the water.

I love how you let the co-hosts figure out a lot of the puzzles while still keeping things moving

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

Commander Keene posted:

Honestly, I forgot that there was a heart piece locked behind Ocarina's fishing minigame, and I'm wrestling with the thought of actually booting up my Steam Deck to get it. On the one hand, I'd like to be able to at some point say I hundred percent'd Ocarina, but on the other hand, video game fishing, ugh. The only good video game fishing is in BOTW, IMO.

The OoT fishing game is actually quite nice (as far as fishing games go) as it's always the same fish you want so you can learn. There's very little RNG once you know that, and once it's on the hook you can literally just hold the stick in a direction (I know down left works, not sure if other angles work as well) and A and eventually it works out. I mean, of course you have to know this and learning it is a pain in the rear end and totally sucks, but at least it can be learned as opposed to a lot of other RNG dependant fishing minigames (like the stardew valley one mentioned in the video)

SorryNotMorrie about getting past King Zora: "Can we go under?" Why, yes, you can actually! This is one of the parts of OoT that has the most ways to skip it. One of my favorite skips in the game because of how simple it is, but you don't have enough stuff to do it that way yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

Jeez, speedrunners are something else, man

Now that it's not a spoiler that time travel happens, it's much easier as adult. You just align with the pillar to the left, lock the camera with Z, walk into the corner and jumpslash twice and you go through the wall. Try it out when you get there, it's super easy (and it'd be interesting to see how your co-hosts would react (and at this point it doesn't actually skip anything))