Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

This is cool, but it seems like a lot of work. Surely it'd be quicker to just play the game a couple times.

I tried it once and yeah, pretty much. It takes longer to cheese it than to do it normally unless you're having a lot of trouble chicken hunting. It's kind of fun to "cheat" though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

I've been really enjoying their suggestions for how to solve puzzles. A couple videos ago when I was messing with the deku sticks and butterflies, SilverChaser suggested I swing the stick through the flowers for the pollen and that's such a good idea! It's hard to get back to that kind of thinking once you know where all the limits of the game are.

I've always loved this kind of thing. Ideas that make sense in the real world, but that people who've been playing games their whole lives instinctively know would never get put into a game. To us, of course the developers didn't program pollen into the flowers that can stick to your weapon. Especially on the N64. If a developer ever even had that specific idea, it probably would've been really difficult to implement and they have much more important things to prioritize in the short time (and limited cartridge space) available to them.

But when your friend who never plays games, or your mom, or your little sibling, whoever, asks about it you still think "yeah, why not?" That kind of innocence should be preserved as long as possible, because as you said: it's really hard to think that way once you "know better"

And then you play a Hideo Kojima game and maybe it'll actually work anyway because the man is a beautiful lunatic.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

This LP continues to be really charming and fun, thanks Frenzy :3:

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

I think they originated in 2d games, where they came out of the walls. They adjusted the gimmick for 3d but didn't change the name.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

smax posted:

If I remember right, the boomerang works but the hookshot doesn’t.

That's how I remember it too.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Incoherence posted:

There's one other thing that was replaced in later versions for similar reasons, but you haven't gotten to it yet.

Actually, they have! Sort of. The one you're thinking of is later, but the same symbol shows up elsewhere - on movable blocks, like the ones in the Forest Temple. In the original release those blocks had a crescent moon and star on them, very similar to the symbol of Islam (as seen on the national flag of Turkey, for example).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

It's been a very long time, but "don't lock on" is definitely stuck in my memory about Dark Link. I was probably trying to just sword duel him, though.