Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Lemniscate Blue posted:

It would be amusing to have Ganondorf try to turn it around and be a good guy, and everyone's on board to support him except Zelda and Link who're always giving him the stinkeye and complaining about him being trusted. Then Ganondorf gets fed up with it and decides "gently caress it, might as well" and goes evil again.

That's kinda what they do at the end of Wind Waker when Ganondorf's like "Y'know I hate sand it's coarse and gets everywhere loving hated the desert where I grew up and I suppose I just envied Hyrule's prosperity, honestly now all I want is to use the Triforce to bring back that world instead of this huge ocean" and the player's probably like "wow you know he has a point life gave him a raw deal" and maybe even sympathizing with him...

...But then he can't help himself and in the 11th hour right before he gets to lay his hand on the Triforce he's like "Gods please bring back Hyrule... AND LET ME RULE IT HAHAHA" and then he gets foiled again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
It turns out that when Malon made that comment about obeying Ingo under threat of him mistreating horses she was actually only talking about Epona, so when Link stole Epona she was free to kick Ingo's rear end.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I know the Water Temple is the popular one to hate on but I genuinely think I hated the Forest Temple when I first played the game. I got lost all the time.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Oh thaaaat explains why Link never talks. It's because he's a Disney princess and has to sing.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

smax posted:

If I remember right, the boomerang works but the hookshot doesn’t.

Well drat, I learned something today

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I think the Bolero of Fire is still probably my favorite OoT song

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Commander Keene posted:

The Gerudo Valley Spanish guitar is mine. Though if you're just talking about the Ocarina songs, I'd have to say I never really thought about them as pieces of music, just as game mechanics.

Yeah I meant between ocarina songs. Specifically out of the warp songs since those are a little longer and bring Sheik's harp into the mix instead of the little the earlier stuff like Zelda's lullaby/the song of storms/etc.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
"Skull-tu-la" is now the way I hear that name in my head when I see it written somewhere. It's so charming.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
A lot of scarecrow places are easy to miss!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
The Megaton Hammer is the coolest weapon that I never utilized enough. I love video game weapons that are supposed to be so powerful, they shake the screen.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Man the Big Poe subquest is so drat annoying. I've only finished it once and any other time that I played the game like the 3DS release, just totally skipped it. I mean, I guess it's actually appropriate for archery on horseback to be hard but still, what a hassle.

Also I totally didn't remember that the poe shop owner says that if he looked like Link he'd quit the ghost trading biz and whore himself out for cash

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jun 28, 2023

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

davidspackage posted:

I feel like I probably knew that, but the ending still caught me off guard.

I started thinking whether that allows for any sequence breaking, but I suppose the special arrows don't have any major utility in this game.

Hey, not true, the fire arrows are totally necessary... for making torch puzzles easier. :v:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
The only strategy for Dark Link I ever thought to use was the hammer and I guess every other item in my inventory was just pasted over with the thought "Oh that's loving sick" the first time he jumped on my sword.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I forgot about Zelda Sheik's weird hiding in the tree/swan dive exit rather than the usual smoke bomb. Very strange. I'd love if they had him exit in new ways in every appearance.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
The song of storms puzzle is maybe one of my favorite in the franchise. But that's just because I like time travel stories so Link creating a time paradox for this temple (well, to get into the temple) rules.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Somehow I always thought "ah well that green sludge probably gets diluted enough that it's not that bad for the town" when I first played the game. Never really thought about all the other hosed up poo poo like zombies and mummies and giant spiders being down there too until this video. I mean maybe if you really want to make up some headcanon you you can chalk some of it up to "Oh Ganondorf made the monsters appear" but he didn't put that fuckin' torture rack down there.

Kakariko has a dark underbelly hiding beneath the facade of the happy people living there. Literally!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Man I do not remember having to beat the chest game or that the Lens of Truth could see through chests at all. I know for a fact I've done a 100% run before so I must have known at some point but man that just slips away, huh?

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

Also neat to point out, the Sheikah are a different race of people separate from the Hylians, similar to the Gerudo. Which is cool because it turns out each Temple is actually tied to one of Hyrule's races. But of course, what does that make Rauru?

The Exposition Tribe, obviously

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I remember Bongo Bongo giving me an unusual amount of challenge in the game when I played back in the day. I mean it's such an easy process on paper, and he's not nearly as in your face as other bosses, but he just whipped my rear end the first couple of times. Maybe I just placed too much faith in the hover boots being some magic bullet that'd make the fight trivial when in actuality they do very little and debatably make it harder.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
It would have been cool if there were somehow some sort of way you could switch back and forth without the Temple of Time visit and make a lot of unique puzzles in the Spirit Temple instead of just using it like one time near the beginning. I mean, I know why you can't, from a story perspective and a "can't just flip back and forth without some sort of load screen and that'll get real old real fast" reason. Though in that case I suppose you'd have to give the Links more substantially different loadouts to make it real fun. Because as it stands the only real difference is that Kid Link does less damage in general, and has the boomerang instead of the hookshot. Oh and can plant beans, I guess...

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I can't believe I was listening to a bunch of jocks this whole time! :v:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
lol that's like the one thing I remember from the Spirit Temple because it's so random and useless.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I cannot believe you did not show the girls that the fishing shop dude is bald now. LP ruined 0/10.

Commander Keene posted:

On the subject of Link getting lost in the Lost Woods and becoming a Stalfos, there is the Hero's Shade in Twilight Princess...

well, time to bust out the ol' Link is dead in Majora's Mask powerpoint presentation...

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
The Imperial March Scarecrow Song was definitely the best background track for your final Zelda timeline/legend chat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I hate timeline chat so much because aside from the obvious direct sequels like Majora (or Phantom Hourglass or Tears of the Kingdom or Twilight Princess I guess, etc, etc) you just know nobody actually making the games cared that much. They put references to other games in the games but that doesn't mean they're on some magic actual timeline. It's just an idea so Nintendo can get more people to buy Hyrule Historia and folks bought it hook, line, and sinking lure sinker.

... actually I guess all this anger really just stems from me thinking that the idea/addition of a "Link Dies" timeline is the stupidest loving thing and I hate it.

edit: Though I do appreciate that now after Tears of the Kingdom is out it provides a darkly humorous thought experiment that (spoilers for TotK I guess) in every other game in the franchise (minus Skyward Sword), Zelda is flying around as a dragon with a sword in her head right outside the skybox.