Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Aww, you didn't show them the easter egg when you shoot a slingshot seed against the window opposite to the one with the mario paintings?

Also, one theory of what Impa does when she disappears, is she just throws a nut and walks off calmly, because the nut stuns you and freezes time for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Soylent Pudding posted:

Enjoying the LP so far. I tried to play this as a kid but sucked at video games so I never made it through the first night stuck in Terminal field and rage quit.

Isn't Termina the location of the sequel, Majora's Mask?

Kibayasu posted:

This is just one of those weird things but I always felt like I was mispronouncing Kakariko when I was a kid. It never sounded right. No I don't know how else you would pronounce it.
Fun fact: the name Kakariko comes from French "Cocorico" which is the sound a rooster makes, like cock-a-doodle-doo in English.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

whitehelm posted:

I'm pretty sure crouch-stabbing keeping the previous attack's damage is a glitch.

In the speedrun community, glitches are not well-defined. It's often something like: "If it's a mechanic included in the game but the damage calculation happens to be busted that is okay for glitchless categories, if it's a completely unintended mechanic it isn't". But more often than not this definition is based on "would it make the category more fun? Then allow it."

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Frenzy, IIRC it only takes two bugs to get a Skulltula to pop up. You can pop open a bottle, quickly re-catch one of the three, and have the other two get the Skulltula. Or you can just release the bugs anywhere and then catch two of them in separate bottles. Either way, infinite source of bugs.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Oh, speaking of the butterflies, I don't know if it was mentioned but they do do something.

quote:

If Link holds a Deku Stick near a Butterfly, and then walks away slowly, the Butterfly will follow the Deku Stick away and will transform into a fairy.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Man with Hat posted:

I love how you let the co-hosts figure out a lot of the puzzles while still keeping things moving

Agreed. It'd be quite hard to me to not just give it away.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Natural 20 posted:

Yelling at the screen when you took the Owl.

I think that's meant as a shortcut back a little later in the game.

IIRC the owl at the lake reappears. Unlike the owl at the top of Death Mountain which is single use.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

The thing with that guard in the alley is, he only appears in the very short time after you get the three stones, and before you pull out the Master Sword. He's gone after. And most people would run directly to the temple after getting the Ocarina.

Also, Frenzy, I have no idea how the hell you got away with having adult Link on screen in that Smash April Fools vid without spoiling this whole thing to the ladies.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Do you think Ganondorf and Vaati would be all buddy-buddy?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

Turns out that I am just as bad at riding the horse as I am at driving a Warthog.

Have you tried riding a camel, they're way different from horses?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

The hammer is so cool but I don't think it does much (if any) more damage than the sword, and it comes with all the drawbacks like being slower, lower range, and not being able to block. It's too bad, but it kinda gets relegated to a utility tool for rusty switches and that's it.

You know the glitch of how the crouch stab takes the damage and properties of the last attack you did before it? Works with the hammer.
Use the hammer once, then take your sword and start crouch stabbing and you can destroy boulders and stuff.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Natural 20 posted:

I saw this comment before I watched the video.

It's an understatement.

What on earth happened?

This always works.

The "fill the lake" part of the hint refers to the fact that normally, you need the Water Temple's item to actually make it over to that island, so there's no point to shooting the sun yet (the internet says you can get around that by using the bean plant or the scarecrow's song).

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

TwoPair posted:

smoke bomb

There's a theory that Sheik throws Deku Nuts. The animation is exactly the same and since creatures hit by it get frozen, you could assume that from their point of view no time seems to pass.

Also, there's no in-game reason at all for Zora's Domain not melting. Nobody in the game even mentions it. The best theory is that they just ran out of development time or cartridge space or something.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Hey Frenzy could you blow the mind of your cocommentators by asking: if you learn the Song of Storms from the windmill guy but you're the one who then teaches it to him in the past, where did the song originally come from?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

TwoPair posted:

It would have been cool if there were somehow some sort of way you could switch back and forth without the Temple of Time visit and make a lot of unique puzzles in the Spirit Temple instead of just using it like one time near the beginning. I mean, I know why you can't, from a story perspective and a "can't just flip back and forth without some sort of load screen and that'll get real old real fast" reason. Though in that case I suppose you'd have to give the Links more substantially different loadouts to make it real fun. Because as it stands the only real difference is that Kid Link does less damage in general, and has the boomerang instead of the hookshot. Oh and can plant beans, I guess...

There is some evidence that this was originally the plan with this game.

So, the Blocks of Time, those blocks with the Door of Time symbol on them that appear/disappear when you play the song?

Those are actually coded to move through time. Like, if you play the song as an adult, and a block disappears, it appears in the past when you go there as a kid. So they were planning puzzles around this, where you had to move time blocks through time and then follow after them.

In the end, almost all blocks of time appear in dungeons that you can only access as either a kid or an adult, not both. So generally you can't even see this effect.

With one exception, IIRC in an optional room in Goron City. And that one works as expected, if you make the block of time disappear as an adult and then go all the way to the temple of time, become a child, and then go all the way back to the room you will see the block now exists in the past.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

The wooden shield chests all give a blue rupee or something if you already got a wooden shield.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

The true reward of getting all the Skulltulas is that you can reenter the house and the guy will give you 200 rupees every single time. It's an infinite money source.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Left 4 Bread posted:

It's a less evil way to obtain money, though it's so late in the game. If you're a monster, well... As adult link, you can kill the skull kids in the Lost Woods, they drop 200 rupees on death.

After you do this, the only remaining skull kid got very lonely and decided to steal a mask.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

BlazetheInferno posted:

EDIT: Of note, the Breath of the Wild and Tears of the Kingdom games are not placed on the timeline, as it came out a fair while before they released. People have tried to figure out where in the timeline it takes place, but unsuccessfully, and I don't think Nintendo is too eager to give an answer. I've seen rumblings that they may in fact regret creating that timeline in the first place, but that's only a rumor as far as I know.

Didn't Nintendo outright say BotW takes place long after all three timelines (which is why you see all kinds of references from all three timelines in BotW)?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

davidspackage posted:

The Highly Improbable Exaggerations of Zelda

The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Zelda of Hyrule, Princess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Hey Frenzy do you know about the hidden restock room on the bottom floor of Ganon's castle? IIRC correctly it's directly under the entrance door (or directly opposite) and it's hidden by a Lens of Truth wall.