Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Important note to remember; He's not just their Sacred Tree, he's effectively their father.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Man with Hat posted:

Good Let's Play! I just caught up and had some things I wanted to mention about mechanics since I love OOT mechanics.

You say that the stick is useless for fighting at some point but fun fact, it actually does twice the damage that the Kokiri Sword does! Jump slashes also do twice the damage and crouch stabbing does the same damage as your last attack so if you do a jump slash with a stick you can then crouch stab for 8x the damage of a regular sword slash! This is not at all necessary for regular fights but it's a fun mechanic.

Shame the stick breaks after a single hit.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
For the record, back when they called her the first time when they first got the song, and she just said "come talk to me in person", the reason for that was because you used the song to talk to her... while standing 15 feet away from her.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Commander Keene posted:

Mario's teamed up with Bowser several times (and had at least once by the time Ocarina had come out - in SMRPG), why can't Link team up with his antagonist?

To be fair, Bowser is basically just a selfish destructive goofball.

Ganondorf is The reincarnation of the personification of evil, chained by destiny to try to kill Link and Zelda.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I'm just saying in general, not for this game in particular. The characters have kinda gone in different antagonistic directions.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I didn't even know you COULD jump over the front gate.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

The hammer is so cool but I don't think it does much (if any) more damage than the sword, and it comes with all the drawbacks like being slower, lower range, and not being able to block. It's too bad, but it kinda gets relegated to a utility tool for rusty switches and that's it.

For what it's worth, a quick check to the wiki claims it does the same damage as the Master Sword.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I think this comic is now relevant.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
For the record, yes; they cannot eat the Mirror Shield. Everything they can eat can be purchased in shops, be it the Red or Blue Tunics, or Hylian Shields. They have to be; what if you got the Mirror Shield, then got it eaten by a Likelike before fighting Twinrova, then left the area or something? You'd be soft-locked and unable to progress.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Regarding Sad Boy, it is worth noting that Granny specified that while it was the strongest medicine she'd ever created, it will not work on a monster. He was Lost to the Woods and became a Monster before we could get it to him.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Cradok posted:

I might have missed it, but why did you go back to before you beat the last temple? Why not just keep as is, or do it after?

I believe because it causes an area he still needs to visit for cleanup to start the Endgame, making it a Point Of No Return.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Commander Keene posted:

On the subject of Link getting lost in the Lost Woods and becoming a Stalfos, there is the Hero's Shade in Twilight Princess...

Actual spoilers within, though not for Ocarina of Time:
And the Hero's Shade is confirmed by the Hyrule Historia (I think that's what did it) to be the Hero of Time himself. How he ended up this way is a mystery... but he sure does look like a Stalfos.

EDIT: Update at bottom of previous page!

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Link goes back to the Child Timeline.

The Party takes place in the Adult Timeline.

Now that Ganondorf is defeated, the Ocarina is returned, and Link has been sent back to his own time, the connection between the Child and Adult times is broken... the timelines can now diverge. The Child timeline begins progressing in a new way, to prevent the events of the Adult timeline from ever occurring... and the Adult Timeline must now progress without The Hero of Time.

The infamous timeline split. Fans for years contemplated how all the games would fit together into a coherent timeline, which would take place before, which ones would take place after, and which half of the timeline split would games that take place after Ocarina happen in...

Except none of them considered one detail. That the timeline after Ocarina didn't just split into two - it split into three. An Adult Timeline in which there was no more Hero of Time, because he had gone home... A timeline in which Ganondorf never rose to power, because child Link and Zelda used their knowledge of events to stop him early... and a timeline in which Link lost that final battle against Ganon.

EDIT: Of note, the Breath of the Wild and Tears of the Kingdom games are not placed on the timeline, as it came out a fair while before they released. People have tried to figure out where in the timeline it takes place, but unsuccessfully, and I don't think Nintendo is too eager to give an answer. I've seen rumblings that they may in fact regret creating that timeline in the first place, but that's only a rumor as far as I know.

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Nov 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Carbon dioxide posted:

Didn't Nintendo outright say BotW takes place long after all three timelines (which is why you see all kinds of references from all three timelines in BotW)?

I know that's a popular theory I've heard, I hadn't heard about Nintendo confirming it, though.