Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Almost certainly, it has functional widescreen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

That's the 3D version of the Peahat, those weird stop-and-go enemies that you could only hurt while they were moving in the 2D games.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

You got a pretty good discount on the Hylian Shield there, but you didn't need to spend anything at all. There's a free shield in the Kakariko Graveyard under the tombstone marked with the flowers.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

When you think about it, without a similarly sustainable silicon-based ecosystem to our carbon-based ecosystem (which maybe the Dodongos are part of?), the Gorons will eventually run out of food someday.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Later in life, Link was arrested for founding Hyrule's first (and thus far only) fairy-trafficking ring. When questioned, his only response was "the voices wanted to see how much he'd pay!"

When you blew up that sign with Din's Fire I was half expecting you to show off what happens when you play Zelda's Lullaby on a broken sign.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I think she does that anyways until you clear at least one more plot flag.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Different-colored Yoshis have been in since the beginning, Super Mario World had green, yellow, red, and blue Yoshis, which all had different characteristics (mainly what they did when you swallowed a Koopa shell IIRC). Then Yoshi's Island and Yoshi's Story had a veritable rainbow of Yoshi colors, but they were all identical in gameplay, at least in Island.

Speaking of ridiculous character counts, the DBZ Budokai Tenkaichi games topped out at 161 characters in BT3 if you count the various "forms" (like Super Saiyan 1/2/3/4, Freeza's and Cell's forms, etc; frequently they had distinct movesets from the base version of the character) or 98 actual distinct characters otherwise. And Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate has 145 characters, though it's a crossover of the Dynasty and Samurai Warriors (as well as guest characters from most other Koei-Tecmo properties), so it was drawing from a deep well to begin with.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Honestly, I forgot that there was a heart piece locked behind Ocarina's fishing minigame, and I'm wrestling with the thought of actually booting up my Steam Deck to get it. On the one hand, I'd like to be able to at some point say I hundred percent'd Ocarina, but on the other hand, video game fishing, ugh. The only good video game fishing is in BOTW, IMO.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Ship of Harkinian is much better about inventory limits, one of the options is allowing the D-Pad to be used as a second set of item buttons. Considering I don't even remember what the D-Pad was used for in OoT (probably nothing considering the N64's dumbass mutant controller tended to make using D-Pad and stick together prohibitive) it seems like a strict upgrade.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

When your co-hosts started talking about The Mandarin and jelly cubes, my nerd brain went, "What does the Iron Man villain have to to with jelly?" I live in the Northeast USA and have never heard of a restaurant by that name.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I love that as the camera pans around Link at the end of the cutscene right in front of Castle Town, you can still see Zelda's and Ganondorf's horses galloping away. Pretty sure the aspect ratio cutoffs hid that back on an actual N64. :newlol:

SorryNotMorrie's prediction was honestly too good for Ocarina's plot. I don't think I'm rocking the boat here by saying that Zelda games generally aren't great for their writing, and a game where you have to team up with Ganon(dorf) against some other evil would be cool. Mario's teamed up with Bowser several times (and had at least once by the time Ocarina had come out - in SMRPG), why can't Link team up with his antagonist? I suppose we'll probably never find out, considering Miyamoto apparently hates plot in video games or something like that.

SilverChaser on the other hand was remarkably on the ball with her prediction, even remembering the intro cutscene where Link was having a nightmare. She didn't quite call what would happen, but got pretty close.

Both jumped right on the "Sheik is Zelda" train right away though :lol:

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

BlazetheInferno posted:

To be fair, Bowser is basically just a selfish destructive goofball.

Ganondorf is The reincarnation of the personification of evil, chained by destiny to try to kill Link and Zelda.
I don't think that particular bit of the canon had been codified by the time of OoT, though. Y'know, considering the game that particular factoid was in didn't come out until at least a decade later.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Hell, if they're that chained to "Ganon MUST be the ultimate bad guy every time, no exceptions" they could do a game where you have to team up with him temporarily to take out a new threat but he still ends up being the final boss. Maybe it looks like he's going to turn over a new leaf for a while but either it was a Dr. Wily style fakeout or something ends up happening to rekindle the evil (the old "he hit his head and had amnesia and then remembers who he was" saw, or maybe something happens to something or someone he cares about). Maybe the new threat is something that even Ganondorf with all his hatred and lust for vengeance can't ignore to focus on his preferred targets - it's a threat to him personally, or wants to outright destroy Hyrule rather than rule with an iron fist/torment its inhabitants. Maybe he just can't let anyone other than himself kill Link/Zelda. There's ways to go with this where it can still work within the framework they've established, even nowadays.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Heck, just have the Act 1 antagonists of this hypothetical game be cultists trying to resurrect the original incarnation of Demise - which requires Ganondorf's soul - and you have a good enough reason for Big G to team up with Link, and maybe even fake a redemption arc.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Not really, though? I guess you could say that's Girahim's goal, but the true Act 1 villain, Cia, doesn't really care about Demise and thinks she's using Ganondorf towards her goal of killing Zelda and getting in Link's pants when in fact he's manipulating her into putting him into a position where he can be revived again.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

fatsleepycat posted:

You can cancel a nocked arrow without shooting it by swinging your sword or I believe pulling out another C-button item like the hookshot. Activating the shield might work but I've never tried.
Yeah, IIRC all of these work. I think going into first-person mode using C-Up works as well. Though I don't really remember how the game felt on an actual N64 controller well enough to say how comfortable or convenient any of those choices are.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Yeah, that's what I did in my most recent playthrough, because gently caress carting one of those stupid chickens across the entire map to get it "early".

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

TwoPair posted:

I think the Bolero of Fire is still probably my favorite OoT song
The Gerudo Valley Spanish guitar is mine. Though if you're just talking about the Ocarina songs, I'd have to say I never really thought about them as pieces of music, just as game mechanics.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Natural 20 posted:

I..

I've played Ocarina of time like 10+ times and I had no idea about the secret room in the Fire temple.
I know about it because a romhack either FPZero or Artix played had it as mandatory for progression.

EDIT: I thought people were talking about the cubby in the main lava area and not the Scarecrow's Song room. That I've known about since I was a kid, but IIRC my brother had the official strat guide for OoT.

Commander Keene fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jun 15, 2023

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

OK so it was Nimpize, I wasn't sure. Those two have played so much Ocarina at this point.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Should've been as much damage as the Giant's Knife/[REDACTED] Sword, just in item form. It does take up both hands, after all.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Pickled Tink posted:

It is kind of disappointing that you basically skipped the poe quest on video. So much bad joke opportunity squandered. As a freshly minted teenager, poeing in a bottle and selling it was the height of comedy.

I'm also sad because it means I'll likely never know if you can sell the big poe to the bottle lady you can sell everything else to and how much that would be worth.
I imagine that they wouldn't let you lock yourself out of the final bottle by selling one of the ten Big Poes, I don't think the trader will take them.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

SorryNotMorrie: "I like how taking the [Iron] Boots off and putting them in our backpack is enough to let us swim back to the surface."
Obligatory Awkward Zombie (technically a Twilight Princess comic, but relevant to the video):

Carbon dioxide posted:

This always works.

The "fill the lake" part of the hint refers to the fact that normally, you need the Water Temple's item to actually make it over to that island, so there's no point to shooting the sun yet (the internet says you can get around that by using the bean plant or the scarecrow's song).
Actually you just need the lake filled in order to swim over to the Fire Arrows. You don't need the Water Temple's item to get there.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I agree, Morrie should be in charge of all your openings :newlol:

TwoPair posted:

I forgot about Zelda Sheik's weird hiding in the tree/swan dive exit rather than the usual smoke bomb. Very strange. I'd love if they had him exit in new ways in every appearance.
I always remember this specific exit because it's odd (and let's be honest, hilarious) compared to the others.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Interesting, the Zelda Wiki says the Scrubs in the Forest Stage are supposed to hate the Spooky Mask, but you had them dancing in their seats. I wonder if aside from the checks for the Skull Mask and the Mask of Truth the mask checks are done in a way that the quick switch fucks up?

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

We're told that the Sheikah have served the Hyrule Royal Family for a long time, but we're told this as they introduce Impa as Zelda's nanny. Which makes their service seem pretty benign. Considering the ninja stuff and what we find beneath the well and in the Shadow Temple, it seems more likely that they were spies, assassins, torturers, etc.
Could be that in the past the Shiekah were more involved in the intelligence/black ops sector but nowadays since Hyrule is more peaceful they get cushy posts like being the Princess' nanny/bodyguard.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

IIRC in the Gerudo fights if you get hit by their normal slash attacks three times they arrest you, but one hit from that corkscrew attack and you're in jail.

The carpenters' names are decided by the order you rescue them, and literally just mean "First Son", "Second Son", "Third Son", and "Fourth Son" in Japanese.

The color of the clothing and makeup of the Gerudo who directs you to Nabooru and gives you the membership card is determined by what tunic Link is wearing, at least in the original N64 version of the game.

Your Cohosts posted:

Going undercover [as a Gerudo] would be cool
*Laughs in BOTW*

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Pretty sure the Lens isn't strictly necessary for anything in the game, and even without glitches most non-100% speedruns skip it (and the Bottom of the Well) completely. You don't even have to follow the ghost, there's just a maze of whiteout walls in the desert and if you know where to go you can get through without the ghost and his meandering path.

I suppose Spirit is the only actual temple with the duality thing going on, but I personally always just count Bottom of the Well as a part of Shadow, so I kinda feel like that one counts as well (:rimshot: ) IMO.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Yeah, speedruns just shoot and power crouch stab the air where his eye should be until he dies. I recommend checking out DoctorKill's LP of Ocarina (and Majora as well), I learned a lot about these games from those LPs.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

The Fashion of Zelda. :colbert:

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I like that Morrie's first reaction to the words "final showdown" is also to hum The Final Countdown.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

There's no real "options" screen in Ocarina, is there? I don't think you can really change any settings in-game. Later games have definitely allowed you to swap between "toggle" and "hold" for Z-targeting but I don't think Ocarina does.

And yeah Twinrova is probably the most annoying fight in the game because of how RNG-reliant it can be.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

SilverChaser posted:

[Epona will] jump over a broken bridge, but she won't go over a small foot bridge.
From what I understand, that's horses.txt. They can get very skittish about the strangest things sometimes.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

DoubleNegative posted:

Fun fact! That bean sprout Silver and Morrie kept asking about is a fantastic shortcut up part of Death Mountain for the final leg of the eye drops run. It drops you off at the top of the next hill, up where the hidden cow grotto is.
I just ran from Lake Hylia to Kokiri Village and took the Lost Woods shortcut to Goron City.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I can't say definitively which route takes less time, but I believe the Lost Woods - Goron City route is less overall distance traveled? It might still be faster to take Epona through Hyrule Field though because you're moving faster.

This is Ocarina though, people have probably exhaustively researched which route is objectively faster long ago.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

On the subject of Link getting lost in the Lost Woods and becoming a Stalfos, there is the Hero's Shade in Twilight Princess...

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

TwoPair posted:

I cannot believe you did not show the girls that the fishing shop dude is bald now. LP ruined 0/10.
I thought he did in the last fishing video?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

:eng101: It's Egyptian mythology where your heart (which is where ancient Egyptians believed the soul resided, so your "heart/soul" confusion means they're basically the same thing) gets weighed against a feather! If your heart was lighter than a feather you got to go to the afterlife, if it was heavier than the feather your heart (and thus your soul) got eaten by Ammut, a goddess with the head of a crocodile, the foreparts of a leopard, and the hindquarters of a hippopotamus.

I love how sometimes the arrow you shoot to break the barrier at the end of each trial will just be hovering in midair through the cutscene with the sage.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

The weighing of the heart wasn't a responsibility of mortals to do, the god Osiris would do the weighing against a feather from the goddess Ma'at in the underworld.

So I guess everyone just got to assume their dead relatives never got snacked on by a crocodile.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

The gauntlets don't increase arm strength, they increase core strength, so lifting power is greatly enhanced, but striking power is relatively unaffected. Don't ask me why magic gauntlets give Link great abs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Yeah it would be funny if the gauntlets only transmuted stone with that specific emblem on it to styrofoam or something.