Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

:actually: FYI the heart piece isn't the only prize from Bombchu bowling, there's also a bomb bag upgrade there. I wouldn't blame you not going back for it, though, considering how annoying the game tends to be.

Edit: update on previous page, oops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

I've never seen the jellyfish show up in the Big Octo fight either!

I think it might be because you dallied about a bit in the room before triggering the cutscene that starts the fight, and gave them time to drift down before the fight started. In my experience most people just step forward and trigger it immediately. I don't know how this game works under the hood, but I wonder if the game has a different radius of activation for enemies in and out of miniboss-fight mode?

re: the question of whether you were ever stuck inside Jabu-Jabu, as far as I know you could always leave even in the earliest versions of the game. It definitely doesn't look like you can, though, with the way his mouth/teeth close behind you, so maybe you made an assumption and are remembering that?

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Since you guys were wondering: as I understand it, shooting Volvagia with arrows while it's flying doesn't do damage, but does make it stop attacking and go back underground sooner.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

I think the trick with the hammer is that you need to not be locked on when you swing it. I definitely remember being able to get into a loop where you hammer him, then he respawns behind you so you just turn around and swing to hit him again.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

So, uh, :actually:...

While you're right that the game definitely pushes you in a certain direction, you can do the Spirit Temple before Shadow fairly easily if you want (and I've always wondered if at some point in development that was the intended order, or if they wanted it to be a choice, because the order in the pause menu has the Spirit medallion before Shadow). Unless you've memorised the path you do need the Lens to get through the desert, so you need to do the well first, but nothing in the Spirit Temple actually requires the Hover Boots. It's barely a sequence break; you have to ignore the direction Navi gives you, but otherwise you're just playing normally and there are no glitches/exploits/etc involved.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Most of the guides back in the day always claimed that each mask always got the same reaction, but I suspect they may not have done a whole lot of testing with the ones that don't give rewards.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

I've never actually used the hover boots for the "river of sand", you can just use the hookshot on the crates on the other side. (That said, I don't think I ever tried using them to not sink into the sand, either.) I think I said earlier, as long as you get the Lens of Truth there's nothing stopping you from doing Spirit before Shadow.

I also didn't know the ghost goes in a circle at the end, and then actually goes toward the flags! You don't actually have to follow it in the circle, as soon as you see the pair of flags you can just run toward them and be successful, and that's what I always did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

"It's not a bad chest, just a small chest" - LP quotes that make me think I'm on the wrong kind of website.

On the Like-Likes, they can't eat the Mirror Shield because it's irreplaceable, as you speculated. (Also, while I'm thinking about the Mirror Shield... fun fact, did you know it can't reflect Deku Nuts? It's actually not just a strict upgrade to the Hylian Shield.)

The Gerudo Training Ground is a fun diversion, but I've always found it one of the weirder aspects of this game. It's very elaborate, but there's almost no reason to do it, especially given how unimpressive the reward works out to be. One gets the impression the ice arrows were stuck there just because the devs were attached to the idea of there being three arrow types, and they had to put them somewhere. (They finally did realise their potential in Majora's Mask, but in this game they're basically just a damage upgrade.)

It's also interesting looking at this area in retrospect, because having a bunch of keys in your inventory at once (and having choices as to which door to open with a given key) is a type of dungeon design that Zelda games have moved more and more away from over the years. After this game it becomes very rare (I can't even think of an example right now) to ever have more than one key at a time, or more than one door it could open, to the point keys functionally don't represent much different from a door that opens when you solve a puzzle.