Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

I'm trying to win the World Cup
but I'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps playing Argentina onside

Monday Night Football on Week 17 was officially suspended after Damar Hamlin, safety for the Buffalo Bills, suffered a cardiac arrest after a hit to the chest. Both head coaches agreed to return their teams to the lockers after it had become apparent that a seemingly innocuous, "disturbingly routine," defensive stop had instead resulted in the most devastating on field injury in over fifty years.

We're left with an uncomfortable elephant in the room, there are stipulations made for weather:

247Sports.Com/ NFL Lightning Delay Rules posted:

According to Article 4, it is the decision of the Commissioner and his representatives whether or not to terminate a game based on an emergency and when the rescheduled game will take place if it's determined that the game cannot be completed within the day it initially started. If a game is interrupted and rescheduled to another date, the game will resume at the exact time and field position upon restart.

Article 9 and 10 dictates that it is the Commissioner's responsibility to reschedule a regular season game no later than two days after it initially started and a postseason game as soon as possible. The Commissioner also must do attempt resume the game at its original site, though if that is deemed impossible he must determine a new site.

"If unable to do so, he will schedule it at the nearest available facility. If it is impossible to schedule the game within two days after its original date, the Commissioner will attempt to schedule it on the Tuesday of the next calendar week in which the two involved clubs play other clubs (or each other)," Article 9 reads. "Further, the Commissioner will keep in mind the potential for competitive inequities if one or both of the involved clubs has already been scheduled for a game following the Tuesday of that week (e.g., Thanksgiving, )."

However, this was neither a flood or lightning storm, somehow it was much worse. We are unsure if the two involved clubs will even consent to a rescheduling out of respect for Hamlin. If they will replay, when and where? At Paycor Stadium, so close to University of Cincinnati Medical Center? So soon? With so little recovery? The Bengals hold a thin lead over Baltimore in the AFC North standings, and the Bills have outs to win the AFC's first round bye from Kansas City. Do the Bills even care about a bye when the life of a comrade hangs in the balance? Can the league even justify finishing the season? Can we just call it a tie?

This thread is for discussing the callous and blithe reality of reorganization. This thread is intended to reduce clutter and burden in the N/V thread. This thread itself will be cluttered, without plat I will not make a poll with the most suggested choices. Do we treat the game as if it had not started, leaving Buffalo and Cincinnati with a 16 game regular season and determine spots based on win percentage? Will the Bills even play a 16th game scheduled against New England? What to do with the two clubs directly involved? What to do with the three clubs indirectly involved, Baltimore, Kansas City, and New England? What to do with the entire playoffs and the other twenty-seven teams if the commissioner's office calls an audible?

What the gently caress do we do now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

but I'm dummy thicc

edit:

ESPN News Services 10:37 AM Thursday Jan 5, 2023 posted:

Damar Hamlin begins to awaken, moving hands and feet, doctors say

Buffalo Bills safety Damar Hamlin is beginning to awaken as he shows "substantial improvement" in his recovery from going into cardiac arrest and collapsing on the field during Monday's game, doctors at the University of Cincinnati Medical Center said Thursday.

One of the doctors, Timothy Pritts, said Hamlin is still considered critically ill and that significant progress is needed. Hamlin's neurological condition appears to be intact, Pritts said.

Hamlin, 24, is able to move his hands and feet, the doctors said. He is unable to speak but was able to communicate in writing, Pritts said. Hamlin asked whether the Bills won Monday's game against the Cincinnati Bengals -- a contest that was postponed after his collapse.

ESPN Staff Writer Ben Baby, 9:20PM Thursday Jan 5, 2023 posted:

Bills-Bengals game will not resume amid Damar Hamlin's continued recovery

CINCINNATI -- The Week 17 game between the Bengals and Bills has been canceled and will not continue, the league announced Thursday night.

In announcing the decision to cancel the game, the NFL cited three key factors: The outcome would have no bearing on which teams qualified for the postseason; playing the game would have altered the playoff schedule for the remaining teams; and not playing the game would allow all clubs to know the postseason possibilities before the start of Week 18.

MD2020 posted:

Bills/Bengals cancelled, Bengals AFC North champs, no consideration of 8th playoff seed, possible neutral AFC Championship site under certain scenarios

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1611183767829336071?cxt=HHwWjsC-1bbGidwsAAAA

TDepressionEarl fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jan 6, 2023

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

but I'm dummy thicc

My own opinion crossposted from the N/V

TDepressionEarl posted:

If the NBA can do the bubble tournament, I think the NFL can, with great effort and difficulty, push each playoff game back a week and keep the Super Bowl on February 12, 2023. They can but they might not want to.

The Super Bowl is strictly immovable because it is a global event and you need to have valid visas and arrangements for everyone covering (and funding) the event. The Pro Bowl can be moved into the offseason or canceled because nobody has been named yet and they were going to hold a flag football/combine skills showcase instead of an exhibition scrimmage anyway.

It will be incredibly arduous, but I believe it is possible to move the start of the playoffs back a week, because every other subsequent playoff venue (not occupied by a team that has clinched a bye) is only selected once the previous week's result come in. Prepping the teams and the stadium for game day has always been on a week-by-week basis save for the Super Bowl. But it would also make this year the asterisk year where there was no prep week before the Super Bowl, the quality of play could suffer, or worse the players would suffer further life-threatening injuries.

I don't put anything past the NFL, I feel Bills @ Cincy was surely the exception, that the head office's hand was forced. I don't expect the NFL to be compassionate going forward.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.
Cancel everything, declare Damar Hamlin Super Bowl MVP and give him the only ring for this season.

BrownThunder
Oct 26, 2005

EXTEND BEN!
Forever and ever and ever

TDepressionEarl posted:

What the gently caress do we do now?

Wait for the NFL to announce what they are gonna do. That's what

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
So you definitely just void this game out of existence. Figure out seeding with percentages or whatever.

The bengals and bills will probably end up as the division winners. Monday night football week 1 of the 2023-2024 season will be bills bengals, with a pregame intro video narrated by either known bengals fan George Clooney or Matthew Mcconnaughey as your fall back option. Depending on if he lives or not a Buffalo bills player will emerge wearing a #3 Hamlin jersey as the first out of the tunnel.

If one of the teams involved makes the super bowl and he is well enough to leave the hospital go ahead and pencil him in for the coin flip.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

TDepressionEarl posted:

It will be incredibly arduous, but I believe it is possible to move the start of the playoffs back a week, because every other subsequent playoff venue (not occupied by a team that has clinched a bye) is only selected once the previous week's result come in. Prepping the teams and the stadium for game day has always been on a week-by-week basis save for the Super Bowl.

What do you do with the venues that are already slated to be in use in the extra week?

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
The disruption caused by trying to move the playoffs is far greater than the disruption of voiding the game and using win % to resolve seeding issues.

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

but I'm dummy thicc

Vando posted:

What do you do with the venues that are already slated to be in use in the extra week?

Shoot, where will we find air conditioned convention centers and large grass fields in the Scottsdale Phoenix metropolitan area.

The extra week was invented in 2010. It was an awful invention, it is self-indulgent, pace-wrecking, self-congratulation. Nothing happens in the extra week besides the Pro Bowl, the Fan Fest, and Media Sunday. does the NFL want more media scrutiny now?

BrownThunder posted:

Wait for the NFL to announce what they are gonna do. That's what

:justpost:

edit: i am remembering the extra week exists as far back as the 1989 Bay Bridge Earthquake World Series because everyone said the stoppage made it feel similar to a Super Bowl. I still hate the extra week. If we ran out of things to say two days after a first ever freak occurrence, why do we need to give Skip Bayless a week. If the players need the week, yes. gently caress the Media.

TDepressionEarl fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jan 4, 2023

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

TDepressionEarl posted:

Shoot, where will we find air conditioned convention centers and large grass fields in the Scottsdale Phoenix metropolitan area.

No but seriously what is your plan

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

but I'm dummy thicc

Vando posted:

The FanFests, Media Centers, and training facilities be in full use starting the Monday through to Saturday. The league eat a portion of a significant fee on their previous week's deposit for the sake of a completing a full season with utmost fairness and integrity as the Baltimore Ravens and the Kansas City Chiefs are owed. The league will tell the venues to give a portion of that fee to Damar Hamlin's Toy Drive or the Super Bowl will never return to Arizona. The league will protect their own: convention centers and hotels are not their own, the players, the coaches, and the franchises are their own.

That's my plan. It's a power fantasy, but what's the point of power if you don't use it.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

don't know

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

bengals win 7-3

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

TDepressionEarl posted:

My own opinion crossposted from the N/V

I don't put anything past the NFL, I feel Bills @ Cincy was surely the exception, that the head office's hand was forced. I don't expect the NFL to be compassionate going forward.
I think the NFLs nightmare scenario is if they reschedule the game, push the playoffs back, and then one, or both, of the teams deactivates their starters and plays their backups. I'm pretty sure that if the game happens it will be because both teams are fully on board.

The only scenario I really see that even potentially makes sense is if we get the Raiders, Bengals and Patriots all winning this weekend. Even then that's only a giant maybe.

Isurion
Jul 28, 2007

TDepressionEarl posted:

I don't think you're understanding, the stadiums where you might play the conference championships might already have events booked for the week before the super bowl because they weren't expecting any football, for instance the Bucs stadium has Monster Jam that weekend and the Vikings stadium has a trade show or something.

YMB
Nov 8, 2009

in an unceremonious way
Regardless of what the "right" solution is, I can't believe the NFL hasn't announced ANYTHING yet. Surely they've had a room of people working out the solution since the moment the game was called, and every day that passes leaves a bunch of teams wondering what their prep and expectations should be.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

Vando posted:

It would be really tough, but if the indoor venues can't be used (and I'm assuming the outdoor venues won't have anything going on in February), each of those cities has another stadium that can host an NFL game. Minneapolis has Huntington Bank Stadium, Dallas has the Cotton Bowl and LA has the Coliseum. It wouldn't be easy at all, but it wouldn't be impossible either.

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

but I'm dummy thicc

Isurion posted:

I don't think you're understanding, the stadiums where you might play the conference championships might already have events booked for the week before the super bowl because they weren't expecting any football, for instance the Bucs stadium has Monster Jam that weekend and the Vikings stadium has a trade show or something.

Ah I see. I genuinely was not understanding. That's a lot of strings to pull.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Isurion posted:

Most lease agreements I've seen, the team has exclusive rights to host events at the stadium, which they then sublet to other events and promotions. So the Vikings can most assuredly tell the trade show to eat a dick and use the field themselves if they want to.

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

but I'm dummy thicc

Simplex posted:

Most lease agreements I've seen, the team has exclusive rights to host events at the stadium, which they then sublet to other events and promotions. So the Vikings can most assuredly tell the trade show to eat a dick and use the field themselves if they want to.

Yeah it would only be the two stadiums that host the NFC and AFC Championship games that might have a conflict, but I'm already beginning to lose my bluster imagining having to tell twelve teams (since the lowest seeds cannot possibly host) that your success will be dented by telling your valued stadium subsidizers to suck lemons. Could care less about the Scottsdale Chamber of Commerce, they knew they were dealing with the devil.

How many teams besides Green Bay and Minnesota actually own their stadiums in full?

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

but I'm dummy thicc

winning percentage i guess

there isn't a single part of this that isn't terrible

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

TDepressionEarl posted:

How many teams besides Green Bay and Minnesota actually own their stadiums in full?

Without doing any research probably everybody but the Giants, Jets and Chargers

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1610712102494429186

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

what if they create a man named Bill bengal. he goes to work and comes home

Nov 6, 2002

Roger Goodell sitting in a New York City office, staring intently at Hamlin's roster photo, saying rosary after rosary.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Bit weird that the league seems to be basing the schedule on whether Hamlin lives or dies

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Simplex posted:

Without doing any research probably everybody but the Giants, Jets and Chargers

Off hand, I know the City of Pittsburgh owns Formerly Heinz Field and the State of Maryland owns M&T Stadium

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Just give the Bengals the win, play the rest of the schedule as normal. Frankly anything else hurts the Bengals and punishes them for showing empathy when they could have pushed to resume the game against an emotionally distraught Bills team. We don't need to reschedule 24 games, just say the game ended Bengals 7, Bills 3, and go from there.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Bit weird that the league seems to be basing the schedule on whether Hamlin lives or dies

~Optics, baybee~

Dietrich posted:

Just give the Bengals the win, play the rest of the schedule as normal. Frankly anything else hurts the Bengals and punishes them for showing empathy when they could have pushed to resume the game against an emotionally distraught Bills team. We don't need to reschedule 24 games, just say the game ended Bengals 7, Bills 3, and go from there.

The thing is, I don't think the Bengals would particularly like that outcome. Certainly the players wouldn't; they wouldn't feel like they earned that win at all. For sure Tee Higgins would absolutely not want to "win" like that in any fashion.

And on that note: if we set that precedent, then down the line some team is going to start to try to induce hellish injuries any time they're ahead.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

You could def just declare the winner as the standing score although usually thats for a game that is at least 1/2 finished, but they're just going to wipe it from existence.

Take the easy way out, its so easy NFL, just declare the game forfeit and excise it. No planning, no media rights to be discussed, just "it doesn't count, never happened, won't be played, enjoy the postseason".

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

SpaceDrake posted:

The thing is, I don't think the Bengals would particularly like that outcome. Certainly the players wouldn't; they wouldn't feel like they earned that win at all. For sure Tee Higgins would absolutely not want to "win" like that in any fashion.

And on that note: if we set that precedent, then down the line some team is going to start to try to induce hellish injuries any time they're ahead.

If there is a penalty for the hit in the life-threatening injury the team causing it forfeits instead, just put that in the rule books for next year.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

someting they could do is to run advertisements talking about how the league supports the best course of action, without saying what it is or actually doing anything. they just run those ads while not doing anything to address this. and after a month or two, they stop running the ads. after the super bowl they don't do anything about the game and nothing ever happens about it. that's it

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I see, so if you kill a person on the other team via spearing or illegal shift then you get the loss but if its within the bounds of the rules then you get the win. Seems reasonable.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

I see, so if you kill a person on the other team via spearing or illegal shift then you get the loss but if its within the bounds of the rules then you get the win. Seems reasonable.

The game should end if one team can no longer continue playing, and the team that could have continued playing should not lose anything if that happens and they did not cause that situation.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Which team will be first to kamikaze themselves after an offsides flag to pick up the win

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Vando posted:

Which team will be first to kamikaze themselves after an offsides flag to pick up the win

Coaches will implant microexplosives in the head of every player and detonate the worst performer as soon as they have a lead.

edit: carson wentz is hosed

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

SpaceDrake posted:

~Optics, baybee~

lol

Nov 6, 2002

no no, please don't give us a free win

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Sash! posted:

Off hand, I know the City of Pittsburgh owns Formerly Heinz Field and the State of Maryland owns M&T Stadium

I was interpreting the question as including which teams have that kind of exclusive lease agreement because neither the Packers or Vikings own their stadium. The Minnesota Sports Facility Authority owns US Bank Field, and Lambeau is owned by the city and stadium authority.

Simplex fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jan 4, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
All right Joe, the steelers strike first and it's 3-0 pittsburgh. They'll kick off to the bengals, after these mess-is that joey porter headed to the bengals sideline with a gun?!?!?