Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Antonio Brown shamefully faking his death after getting speared by Burfict

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

is joey porter still a loving coach what the hell

edit: loving lol https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Antonio_Brahmas

he and heinz ward gonna teach good old fashioned stealers cheat-ball.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE
Part of the problem is the NFL added that stupid 7th seed.

Being the number 1 seed is such a huge advantage and being the 2 seed is only marginally better than being the 3 and 4 seed at this point because you play "worse" seeded teams.

If the Bills end up facing the Chiefs it should be at a neutral site. Then the Chiefs (assuming they beat the Raiders) get the benefit of getting the bye week and having home field in all other cases.

Then they don't have to reschedule the games or delay the season. It would suck not to have the bye but whatever at this point.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Well Al this is exciting, Jeremey Hill just needs to run out the clock and the Bengals will win their first playoff game in decades. I'm not sure why he is eating all that shellfish in the huddle, maybe a preview of the celebration to come?

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

If the coach trips a runner near the sideline and they happen to fall into a claymore mine do they win the game

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Cancel the playoffs, make the Pro Bowl the Super Bowl. Go NFC!

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
Am I the only one who thinks that if they wanted to the troops could put together a team that would beat nfl teams by killing them all, taking advantage of the perverse incentives created by a seemingly minor rule change after a tragic event at the end of the 2022 season?

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

From the night it happened.

Darth Brooks posted:

Just call it a 0-0 tie.

It would be understandable if both of these teams sleepwalked through the next game.

I really think there's not a player or coach whose first thought is "How does this affect playoff seedings?" (Notice I didn't add owners, some of them are gouls.) Just canceling out the game is the most humane, respectful way to handle the situation. This is literally a once in a lifetime event.

Darth Brooks fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jan 4, 2023

Rooster Brooster
Mar 30, 2001

Maybe it doesn't really matter anymore.

Phobeste posted:

Am I the only one who thinks that if they wanted to the troops could put together a team that would beat nfl teams by killing them all, taking advantage of the perverse incentives created by a seemingly minor rule change after a tragic event at the end of the 2022 season?

:golfclap:

E Depois do Adeus
Jun 3, 2012

Nobody has better respect for intelligence than Donald Trump.

Seems like they can just call a no contest (or tie) with minimal effect on the seedings,, or they can reschedule everything with great expense. I'm no crisis management professional or anything but this seems relatively clear cut. The bug rescheduling thing they should do IMO is put the Thursday games after the bye week

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

https://twitter.com/ThePoniExpress/status/1610741678486192161

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

So if the chiefs lose against the raiders (haha) the bills or the bengals just don't get a bye?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Dietrich posted:

So if the chiefs lose against the raiders (haha) the bills or the bengals just don't get a bye?

The way I read that the Bills if they win or possibly the Bengals if the Chiefs do lose to the Raiders and things fall right would get a bye, we're just back to regular playoff seeding in theory. The Bills could certainly earn themselves a playoff bye, and the Bengals have a chance.

And all of the AFC other than the Bills and Bengals get a bye in the first week of the playoffs and the NFC gets a bye next week for fun. I think this is way too gimmicky to work and have from the start of this just thought they're going the no-contest way with that game.

It seems the most cowardly thing to do is wait until after this weekend's games to announce your plan, hope that something falls into place where things don't matter for seeding as much (as if this is what we should be caring about). So that's probably the direction we're headed for.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Jan 5, 2023

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

ProFootballTalk also said he heard that they were just gonna call it a no-contest literally yesterday.

Mike Florio is not a good source.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Grittybeard posted:

It seems the most cowardly thing to do is wait until after this weekend's games to announce your plan, hope that something falls into place where things don't matter for seeding as much (as if this is what we should be caring about). So that's probably the direction we're headed for.
Why would you do anything but that? Let's say KC and Cincy win this weekend, while Buffalo loses. Do you really want to commit to loving up your entire postseason schedule so we can figure out who gets the 2 and who gets the 3 between Cincy and Buffalo? But there are ways this weekend can shake out that maybe you do feel you need to play this game.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Simplex posted:

Why would you do anything but that? Let's say KC and Cincy win this weekend, while Buffalo loses. Do you really want to commit to loving up your entire postseason schedule so we can figure out who gets the 2 and who gets the 3 between Cincy and Buffalo? But there are ways this weekend can shake out that maybe you do feel you need to play this game.

I mean on one hand yeah, on the other hand, possibly facing a dead Pats/Fins team vs the Chargers/Ravens with Lamar back?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I don’t play so maybe I’m off base here but any fantasy league that was having their final week is really hosed now assuming first place was in contention, right?

Farchanter
Jun 15, 2008

The Dave posted:

I don’t play so maybe I’m off base here but any fantasy league that was having their final week is really hosed now assuming first place was in contention, right?

E: nah, I don't even want to sound like I'm complaining at a time like this. But, yeah, a lot of leagues are impacted.

Farchanter fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jan 6, 2023

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I just don’t even begin to understand what a fair resolution would be, nor do I expect any of the league software to be able to account for it.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

nothing is unfair. just compensate the bengals with one full contract completely off the books. that might sound like a huge advantage but they will not spend more than a few million over the cap. give the bills 1 free field goal attempt at the end of a playoff game of their choice

MD2020
May 30, 2003

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Bills/Bengals cancelled, Bengals AFC North champs, no consideration of 8th playoff seed, possible neutral AFC Championship site under certain scenarios

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1611183767829336071?cxt=HHwWjsC-1bbGidwsAAAA

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
We do keep a possible coin toss scenario if Baltimore beats Cinci this week and they play each other in the first WC game.

Just glad to see coin tosses are in there somewhere.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

The buried lede is that the Bengals could be the division champ and have a better record than the Ravens and still have to go to Baltimore in the WC round for some reason.

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

I'm trying to win the World Cup
but I'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps playing Argentina onside

i await the inequity baked into the mysterious neutral site to be named later

but so far seems like a fine course of action

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

The neutral site stuff all seems fine; it only "punishes" KC a bit, which just minimally offsets the break they caught in getting an easier path to the bye.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Whelp hope you guys never want to see a team do what the bengals did again because this is how you make that happen.

Now instead of being able to rest their starters if the chiefs won, they have to play to avoid a 50% chance of having to play all the other #1 seeds in 2023 but not even getting a home playoff game to compensate. And if they go on to play the bills, they have to do it in buffalo. This is absolute horseshit. If they had beat the bills, it would have been 2 home playoff games. They do the right thing, and they get .75 home playoff games. gently caress this.

Dietrich fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Jan 6, 2023

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

I've been ruminating on the proposal and I think I'm now synced up with the NFL galaxy brain. Basically, cancelling the game introduced two major competitive conundrums:

1. It threw the race for the 1 seed out of whack (greatly helped the Chiefs, greatly hurt the Bills and Bengals)
2. It prematurely locked up control of the AFC North (greatly helped the Bengals, greatly hurt the Ravens)

The proposal aims to alleviate those imbalances slightly. So…

1. Chiefs still retain easiest path to bye, but under the precise circumstances where they see the Bills or the Bengals in the AFC Championship game AND said team has the same number of wins, they lose home field but their opponent does not gain home field (hurts the Chiefs slightly, helps the Bills and Bengals slightly)

2. The Bengals are locked into at worst the 3 seed throughout the duration of the playoffs and the advantages that brings EXCEPT in the exact situation where they a.) lose to the Ravens this weekend, b.) matchup against the Ravens in the WC, c.) lose a coin toss (so, hurts the Bengals slightly, helps the Ravens slightly)

So I think it's fair. The competitive offsets it introduces are in practice so minimal and sound so much more invasive and weird that I don't know if it's worth it from a PR angle (particularly #2), but I don't think any team is really getting screwed.

E: okay, but unaddressed avenue where the Bengals get screwed: Cinci DID lose their opportunity to overtake the Bills for the 2 seed. By this proposal's logic, the really quite likely divisional round matchup between the Bills and Bengals should be played on a neutral site (assuming both teams win on Sunday).

fsif fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Jan 6, 2023

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1611336156871905280

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

fsif posted:

I've been ruminating on the proposal and I think I'm now synced up with the NFL galaxy brain. Basically, cancelling the game introduced two major competitive conundrums:

1. It threw the race for the 1 seed out of whack (greatly helped the Chiefs, greatly hurt the Bills and Bengals)
2. It prematurely locked up control of the AFC North (greatly helped the Bengals, greatly hurt the Ravens)

The proposal aims to alleviate those imbalances slightly. So…

1. Chiefs still retain easiest path to bye, but under the precise circumstances where they see the Bills or the Bengals in the AFC Championship game AND said team has the same number of wins, they lose home field but their opponent does not gain home field (hurts the Chiefs slightly, helps the Bills and Bengals slightly)

2. The Bengals are locked into at worst the 3 seed throughout the duration of the playoffs and the advantages that brings EXCEPT in the exact situation where they a.) lose to the Ravens this weekend, b.) matchup against the Ravens in the WC, c.) lose a coin toss (so, hurts the Bengals slightly, helps the Ravens slightly)

So I think it's fair. The competitive offsets it introduces are in practice so minimal and sound so much more invasive and weird that I don't know if it's worth it from a PR angle (particularly #2), but I don't think any team is really getting screwed.

How is playing the bills at home instead of at cincinnati a minimal offset? And why the hell do the chiefs benefit when the bills and the bengals both have a tiebreaker on them?

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Dietrich posted:

How is playing the bills at home instead of at cincinnati a minimal offset? And why the hell do the chiefs benefit when the bills and the bengals both have a tiebreaker on them?

Yeah I just edited that into the post because I missed that. If we're gaming things out this way, a divisional round matchup between the Bills and Bengals (assuming they both win) should be on a neutral site.

The Chiefs just benefit from the dumb luck of what was basically equivalent its two rivals playing to a tie. They don't have the tiebreaker but they'll have the better record.

e: Okay wait, I think the rationale for not doing a neutral site Bills/Bengals is that both teams will have played the same number of games but the Bills would have more wins. If the Bengals lose to the Ravens, they'd both finish with 11 wins with Baltimore having swept their matchups.

It's all convoluted and they should just ditch all of this and seed on win percentage.

fsif fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Jan 6, 2023

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

fsif posted:

Yeah I just edited that into the post because I missed that. If we're gaming things out this way, a divisional round matchup between the Bills and Bengals (assuming they both win) should be on a neutral site.

The Chiefs just benefit from the dumb luck of what was basically equivalent its two rivals playing to a tie. They don't have the tiebreaker but they'll have the better record.

e: Okay wait, I think the rationale for not doing a neutral site Bills/Bengals is that both teams will have played the same number of games but the Bills would have more wins. If the Bengals lose to the Ravens, they'd both finish with 11 wins with Baltimore having swept their matchups.

It's all convoluted and they should just ditch all of this and seed on win percentage.

That's a dumb rationale, because the missing game would have evened their records and gave the bengals the tie-breaker if the bengals had won.

Chiefs v Bills and Bills v Bengals should be either homefield based on coin flip or neutral site if all three win this weekend, full stop. If the Chiefs lose and the Bills and Bengals win, it should be bills v chiefs at buffalo, bengals v chiefs coin flip or neutral. If the bengals lose this weekend they should coin flip for the AFC North or just give it to the Ravens because it is a bad thing to have without the home playoff game.

This outcome is strictly worse for the bengals than losing the game against the bills by every real measure, except we get a loving flag to hang in our stadium even if the ravens beat us, big whup.

Dietrich fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Jan 6, 2023

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

How is it worse than a loss to the Bills? If they lost to the Bills and then the Ravens, wouldn't the Bengals lose the division?

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

fsif posted:

How is it worse than a loss to the Bills? If they lost to the Bills and then the Ravens, wouldn't the Bengals lose the division?

Yes, and then they'd have an easier schedule next season.

They're getting the harder schedule next season, without the benefit of a guaranteed home playoff game.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Should be this.

And if you wanted to make the two KC @ CIN options Neutral site's that's fine too. Could replace every Neutral Site for coin flip for site imho.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dietrich fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jan 6, 2023

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

er, sorry, should show bills vs cincinnati options. Would edit but apparently you can't edit attachments.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Dietrich posted:

That's a dumb rationale, because the missing game would have evened their records and gave the bengals the tie-breaker if the bengals had won.

Chiefs v Bills and Bills v Bengals should be either homefield based on coin flip or neutral site if all three win this weekend, full stop. If the Chiefs lose and the Bills and Bengals win, it should be bills v chiefs at buffalo, bengals v chiefs coin flip or neutral. If the bengals lose this weekend they should coin flip for the AFC North or just give it to the Ravens because it is a bad thing to have without the home playoff game.

This outcome is strictly worse for the bengals than losing the game against the bills by every real measure, except we get a loving flag to hang in our stadium even if the ravens beat us, big whup.

If the Bengals won, and then both the Bengals and Chiefs won in week 18, wouldn't the Bengals have still only been the two seed?

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

No Butt Stuff posted:

If the Bengals won, and then both the Bengals and Chiefs won in week 18, wouldn't the Bengals have still only been the two seed?

That's correct. The Bengals needed the Chiefs to lose to get the #1 seed, but a win in 18 or 19 would have given them the AFC north, and a win in both would have given them the #2 seed. With the no-contest in week 18 they "win" the #3 seed, and have this weird loving curse where they can have the #3 seed without a homefield playoff game but still have to play the division champs for the AFC in 2023 which makes no loving sense.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

This is all assuming the owners okay the addition of "coin flip" and "neutral site" today at their meeting?

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

fsif posted:

The results of seeding on win percentage is why they went this route. 14-3 is a better win percentage than 13-3. 13-4 is a better win percentage than than 12-4. Going that route would majorly favor Kansas City and basically screw Baltimore if they win this weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I'd like to see the neutral site AFC Championship Game in Houston, because there's never been one there.