Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

its a east/west thing. in philly you walk anywhere, anytime. in san francisco we were visiting and the guy is like, "wait dont cross yet!" and there were no cars in sight.

Portland has the best pedestrian culture it’s almost mind boggling how prone for disaster we are here

Driving culture is to stop for pedestrians at any unsignaled intersection, crosswalk or not, and I’d estimate from my many years of walking and jogging that you can count on traffic stopping to let you cross about 80% of the time, the vast majority of the time, but not 100% of the time

You can see the problem, I’m sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Bip Roberts posted:

dogs need to harden the gently caress up

When I was a kid the neighborhood bully got in trouble one year for holding a Roman candle like a wand and shooting it at the kindly old golden retriever that lived on the block

Poor pup

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Drunk driving is such a weird phenomenon because most people will readily admit it’s bad but also the number of Americans who haven’t gotten behind the wheel after having too much is probably limited to people who have never had a drink and people who have never driven a car

The number of people stopped and arrested for dui is probably a very small fraction of the number of people who actually get on the road drunk. There are people out there who do it on a near daily basis who never get caught or at least haven’t been caught yet. There are people who used to do it far more often than they’d care to admit but wised up and never drive drunk anymore, never to be caught

Our entire legal system in basically every state has a parallel process for dui, that goes entirely differently than basically any other criminal matter, because if you started actually throwing people in prison for it you’d very quickly run out of space and also if you think staffing crisis is bad now, well yikes

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Mantis42 posted:

just be good at it and you won't get caught

Honestly for most people who are probably doing it while slightly to moderately impaired rather than just entirely ripped I would guess that getting caught has more to do with luck than anything else

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Just go somewhere where it’s always -40 and you don’t have to choose. Easy peazy

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

The Voice of Labor posted:

pizza was invented by the earl of pizzaballa when, during a card game, he desired a food item that could beeaten with one hand so that no one could look at his cards while he ate

I love this story so much because there’s absolutely no way that many people hadn’t already landed on the sandwich concept but some rich guy does it and it gets trendy for other rich guys and ooh now we have an invention

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

walmart doesn't sell guns anymore. admittedly neither does budk, but they sell swords which walmart never sold

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

i say swears online posted:

no fuckin' way herbs has an h

loving Gordon Ramsey whenever I see him on something pisses me off so bad with this and also paste-o

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Pronounce squirrel as squirl.

exmarx posted:

looking at my reflection in the me-er

We are a sick broken people but neither of these words need or deserve two syllables

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

I e said it before and I’ll say it again, the English with their extraneous u’s and their weird pronunciations and all the rest of it are probably the only people on this planet who don’t have a pass to mock Americans

That includes Australians and Canadians btw

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Chewbecca posted:

Not that I'm a big pommy defender or anything, but they did invent the English language

One of their many crimes

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Eat This Glob posted:

englishmen used to have like boston accents and then they as a country decided they wanted to talk like even bigger dipshits and now they sound like that

another hosed up thing americans do: live in boston

I thought it was the swamp islands around the Chesapeake bay that they think are closest to that accent?

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

depends on where you were from. the UK had a million accents in 1650 compared to only a hundred thousand today

100,000 different accents and they all sound like they’ve got a mouthful of marbles

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Spelled turdsdungburry but pronounced turdsyummy

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Business Gorillas posted:

Whenever I go to Starbucks or McDonald's to get a large black iced coffee, they usually ask me 2-3 times if I'm sure I don't want 300 calories of fat & sweetener in it

Ever been to a Dutch Bros?

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Weka posted:

Dutch bros sounds like the sort of thing Americans would name a sex move

It’s about the most American of coffee places, in that I’m not even 100% certain there’s an option to get a drink that isn’t 99% milk and sugar by volume

I’ve never been but they’re usually parking lot kiosks with lines that snake out into and entirely disrupt traffic and afaict they’re drive up only

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

bikini barista seems extremely american to me. lovely coffee and cold oppressed half naked girls

It was very lmfao with those places avoiding the very obvious health and safety regulation of “this is a horrible idea to have people operating espresso machines in bikinis” was defeated by free speech arguments

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Weka posted:

Nope. They are an old world species introduced by Europeans.

Johnny Appleseed? Maybe you’ve heard of him

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

cheddar's is one of the few places in the US you can get a monte cristo sandwich!

Google maps comes up with at least twenty places I can get one within 10 miles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

only twenty? dying country

I counted to make sure. It’s actually only 18 but one of them is called the Tik Tok Bar and Grill so pending legislation gonna cut it to 17