Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
NJPW officials: Please I beg of you. You're our champion. This is the go-home show before our biggest event of the year, which you're headlining. Please say something, anything about your title match
SANADA: I hear someone's got a birthday coming up...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Looking forward to catching up with the Ishii/Newman match from tonights show

also lol, can confirm

https://twitter.com/CiaranRH93/status/1737852817212359064

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
https://twitter.com/njpw_Fujita/status/1738190792232251766?t=3R-xW1ryGvg1YV6O3-3ugw&s=19

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Didn't realise we had an artist on our hands.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

https://x.com/thesuperjcast/status/1738345713916928414?s=20

Jack Bonza is in trouble

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom
https://twitter.com/njpwglobal/status/1738394155884441660

Well huh

CHaKKaWaKka
Aug 6, 2001

I've chosen my next victim. Cry tears of joy it's not you!

Go Ace

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

quote:

Hiroshi Tanahashi was born November 13 1976 in Ogaki City, Gifu. After graduating in law at Ristumeikan University, Tanahashi joined NJPW in 1999 and debuted that October. He won the IWGP Heavyweight Championship for the first of a record eight times in 2006, achievements along with four time pro-wrestling MVP status that have led him to be called the ‘Ace’ of New Japan Pro-Wrestling.

Interesting to learn the background of the new suit.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

GO ACE

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Thankful that NJPW is rejecting modernity and embracing tradition. RETVRN.

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

GO ACE

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Also interesting that the guy who was put in charge of Stardom is also now a NJPW director as well.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
So...realistically speaking, what sort of influence/power does The Ace have as President?

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

I want to know what led to these changes. I thought Ohbari was well liked.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
read the loving tights and listen to the song

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Stall_19 posted:

They're about to lose the skipper

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Stall_19 posted:

There's been a lot of talk of New Japan turmoil recently.

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

abraham linksys posted:

read the loving tights and listen to the song

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

yea ok posted:

They're about to lose the skipper

They aren't losing their next booker.

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

https://twitter.com/SuitWilliams/status/1738400639980298634?t=CpHPz1jkpvldDa3pc420gA&s=19

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

https://twitter.com/ShinsukeN/status/1738400570719797337

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

https://x.com/TAKAMIOHBARI/status/1738401380245938374?s=20

deep l translation

he baton has now been passed to our ace, Hiroshi Tanahashi.

From now on, I believe that Mr. Tanahashi, who has a fan's perspective, a player's perspective, and a management perspective, will create the best New Japan ever.

Thank you very much for your support over the past five years at New Japan Pro-Wrestling and three years and two months as president.

He started his management career at the bottom of the Corona disaster, when mobilization plummeted due to the NG's voice. Along with measures against Corona and cost reduction, I have created various reforms, new businesses, globalization, and other systems, but most of the time I was still in "birth pains". However, whenever I went to the meeting place, I was always cheered up by everyone, which encouraged me to work hard again, and through this cycle, we managed to recover our business performance to the level of record sales.

All that remains now is for the new president to go above and beyond!

I would like to thank everyone again at the press conference on the 26th.

Translated with DeepL.com (free version)

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Barry Bluejeans posted:

So...realistically speaking, what sort of influence/power does The Ace have as President?

Some but they aren't an independent promotion and Kidani just ripped through stardom because they embarrassed him personally. So the buck stops with bushiroad at the end of the day

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
I haven't paid attention to anything outside of the shows w/r/t NJPW recently besides Okada might be leaving. So this all seems crazy.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Idk ohbari has been in the role for a good few years. He did very well in some areas business wise but even if everything was ticking over perfectly a change wouldn't be the worst thing coming out the pandemic. Njpw has bizarrely kept revenue strong despite gates collapsing

I don't think this will make a huge difference but Okadas language over the last two nights in backstage promos has been very much about carrying njpw over 2024. His buddy being made president likely wouldn't hurt on that front.

I just wouldn't expect sweeping changes because they are still owned by bushiroad. The stardom president Okada having a position is also very interesting. Realistically keeping njpw seperate from bushiroad fight doesn't make a lot of sense from a corporate perspective.

Sooper Gila
Apr 23, 2014

Love
Peace
and Harmony
GO (PRESIDENT) ACE

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Go back to 2000 and tell a wrestling fan that both Danielson and Tanahashi would have major positions in big companies and people would think your crazy but here we are.

This feels good for New Japan though especially in terms of keeping talent happy

Glass Punkbull 141
Jan 9, 2008

This is the face of a winner. This is what winning looks like.
NOW SEND HOUSE OF TORTURE TO THE SHADOW REALM WHERE IT BELONGS ACE

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
Would these changes affect Gedo as booker?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Ahem. Go President ACE!

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Congratulations to New Japan on their first milf president.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

1glitch0 posted:

Would these changes affect Gedo as booker?

If anything it entrenches him.

The recent rumours (would probably say they are very likely to be true) is that there were issues within New Japan between Kidani (and Ohbari) and Gedo and the vets on the roster (with the rest going along). It’s a big part of why you’d get Kidani making big announcements like the TV title being a young person thing or regular women’s matches with the IWGP Champion being on domestic NJPW shows only for them not to end up as advertised; Gedo and co didn’t really want them so half arsed things. Happened before (Shibata coming back in 2012 was a Kidani call right after the acquisition and people there were not consulted and hated it) and Tanahashi ended up galvanising a push back and well I suspect that is what happened here.

Very similar to the Stardom rumours although in Stardom you had finishes being changed and stuff like that which is more extreme. By the end you had a roster revolt almost at Harada; and there’s still speculation that Rossy might leave to retire or start something else and the latter would be interesting as he 100% could (and I suspect would) take some prominent Stardom wrestlers with him.

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

https://twitter.com/GabeKidd0115/status/1738530575932178833?t=YvGkfORs_VEHwGGWMedQVQ&s=19

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
tanahashi no longer does the job in AEW

IceAgeComing posted:

The recent rumours (would probably say they are very likely to be true) is that there were issues within New Japan between Kidani (and Ohbari) and Gedo and the vets on the roster (with the rest going along). It’s a big part of why you’d get Kidani making big announcements like the TV title being a young person thing or regular women’s matches with the IWGP Champion being on domestic NJPW shows only for them not to end up as advertised; Gedo and co didn’t really want them so half arsed things. Happened before (Shibata coming back in 2012 was a Kidani call right after the acquisition and people there were not consulted and hated it) and Tanahashi ended up galvanising a push back and well I suspect that is what happened here.

Very similar to the Stardom rumours although in Stardom you had finishes being changed and stuff like that which is more extreme. By the end you had a roster revolt almost at Harada; and there’s still speculation that Rossy might leave to retire or start something else and the latter would be interesting as he 100% could (and I suspect would) take some prominent Stardom wrestlers with him.

hmm well I hope the wrestlers being in charge doesn't end up like NOAH or All Japan. it feels like puro in general is at an inflection point where new stars need to be made

remember the rainmaker shock, tanahashi!

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Newman vs Ishii was rad, cheered for that boy so hard

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

2023 Concurso is up, if DOUKI loses again there is no God

https://www.njpw1972.com/166920

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
I guess the WK card is pretty much set:

Shingo Takagi (c) vs. Tama Tonga – NEVER Openweight Championship match
Hiromu Takahashi (c) vs. El Desperado – IWGP Junior Heavyweight Championship match
Bullet Club War Dogs (Clark Connors and Drilla Moloney) (c) vs. Catch 2/2 (TJP and Francesco Akira) – IWGP Junior Heavyweight Tag Team Championship match
Bishamon (Hirooki Goto and Yoshi-Hashi) (c) vs. Guerillas of Destiny (Hikuleo and El Phantasmo) – IWGP Tag Team Championship and Strong Openweight Tag Team Championship match
Zack Sabre Jr. (c) vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi – NJPW World Television Championship match
Will Ospreay (c) vs. David Finlay vs. Jon Moxley – IWGP Global Heavyweight Championship match
Bryan Danielson vs. Kazuchika Okada
Sanada (c) vs. Tetsuya Naito – IWGP World Heavyweight Championship match

Based on the last show they may add Uemura vs. Tsuji, but I guess that could go on the preshow. Hell of a card - ZSJ vs. Tana escaped my notice but they're always fun. It will be a shame if they don't get Ren, Shota, Tsuji, or Uemura on the main show though.

Hahah J5G getting that vinegar sponsorship money.

Chinston Wurchill fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Dec 23, 2023

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Tsuji vs Uemura is on the show too, I thought?

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Chinston Wurchill posted:

I guess the WK card is pretty much set:

Shingo Takagi (c) vs. Tama Tonga – NEVER Openweight Championship match
Hiromu Takahashi (c) vs. El Desperado – IWGP Junior Heavyweight Championship match
Bullet Club War Dogs (Clark Connors and Drilla Moloney) (c) vs. Catch 2/2 (TJP and Francesco Akira) – IWGP Junior Heavyweight Tag Team Championship match
Bishamon (Hirooki Goto and Yoshi-Hashi) (c) vs. Guerillas of Destiny (Hikuleo and El Phantasmo) – IWGP Tag Team Championship and Strong Openweight Tag Team Championship match
Zack Sabre Jr. (c) vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi – NJPW World Television Championship match
Will Ospreay (c) vs. David Finlay vs. Jon Moxley – IWGP Global Heavyweight Championship match
Bryan Danielson vs. Kazuchika Okada
Sanada (c) vs. Tetsuya Naito – IWGP World Heavyweight Championship match

Based on the last show they may add Uemura vs. Tsuji, but I guess that could go on the preshow. Hell of a card - ZSJ vs. Tana escaped my notice but they're always fun. It will be a shame if they don't get Ren, Shota, Tsuji, or Uemura on the main show though.

Hahah J5G getting that vinegar sponsorship money.

I'll be honest, this card isn't really setting me on fire.

Shingo vs Tama will be as perfectly OK as most Tama matches.
Hiromu vs Despy will be great because it always is, as will War Dogs vs Catch 2/2.
I don't care about Bishamon vs New Guerillas.
ZSJ vs Tana will be good as it always is.
Ospreay vs Mox vs Finlay is a potentially awesome match with Finlay bolted onto it
Danielson vs Okada will be amazing
Sanada vs Naito will be very good

But other than Danielson / Okada there's nothing I can't wait for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

IceAgeComing posted:

Very interesting. Thanks!