Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

baka of lathspell

I need to get good at chess immediately

sorry for the confusing title this is a byob chess club thread. what is good with chess both digitally and irl but i’m literally googling chess clubs in my area. it was this or magic the gathering but i need money for drugs not cards and i think chess could be fun so naturally running out to make a thread about it. i know lots of orbs play & i’d like to learn things so I can be good & not bad

if you clicked this thread and are reading this you now know it is a thread about chess too cool to give that away in the title

this space reserved for up close and personal shots of Gandalf and Aragorn, the king & queen (heh) of this LOTR fellowship tie in chess set i have

this space maybe also reserved for some things i learn eventually but I am a total beginner and it would be cool to learn some stuff from other orbs posting

bcc (byob chess club) ya you know me

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka of lathspell

I was gonna start by asking the first person who shows up if they think en passants are real. apparently made up by a fronch guy. sounds tres incroyable to me

oh yea and this is def not the first thread but I don’t have search

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

watho

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

i’m bad at chess but reading the thread title and then the op got a huge laugh out of me

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/BigClutteredJoey-mobile.mp4
thank u vanisher for the sig
and thank u nesamdoom for the good loops

your friend sk

(ヤイケス!)

I'll play some chess w/ u

Join the BYOB Army

thank you again Saoshyant!!

Quadramind

I'm down. I'm Quadramind on lichess and on chess.com.

beer pal

chess

https://i.imgur.com/xQxnooW.png

beer pal

i think where they cam eup with en passant is that at one point they invented that u can move your pawns 2 spaces from their starting positoin (they did this because the first moves took too long and ppl were just pushing their pawns 2 turns in a row anyway) but that means that u could push past your opponent's pawn and thats not fair so they invented en passant

biosterous

en passant is the anime thing where two guys run past each other and then freeze frame and then one of them has been cut in half, surprise

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

biosterous

the last time we did byob chess club i was nearly undefeated, because i won like two games, one of them i won by default because GaG's non-personal-info-having account got banned for being a second account lol, and one timed out i think? and also someone wiped the floor with me i forget who

if i played against beer pal then it was beer pal who wiped the floor with me for sure but i don't remember if we played or not

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

Barco Fiesta

a fantasy of olives
i play a lil chess sometimes

Barco Fiesta

a fantasy of olives
i like to eat the pieces

Quadramind

That was my signature move in Risk. Those little fellahs are easy to eat.

baka of lathspell

thank you all for posting. I’m gonna set up a chess dot com profile assuming that’s not the hardest thing in the world. ngl my friend asked how long this phase would last for me and if it would be longer than a day. well it will be

I have to deal with some stuff today but I’m gonna look for an irl chess club I can join but def looking forward to getting way into chess for the last 2/3rds of my life

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

Quadramind

Lichess seems to be much better than chess.com. Much of chess.com is behind the subscription wall.

Shifty Nipples

more like Lychee :haw:

Thanks Plant MONSTER. and deep dish peat moss and deep dish peat moss and deep dish peat moss

your friend sk

(ヤイケス!)

Quadramind posted:

Lichess seems to be much better than chess.com. Much of chess.com is behind the subscription wall.

Join the BYOB Army

baka of lathspell

Quadramind posted:

ok noted

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

baka of lathspell

okay i am brokensimmy on lichess if anyone wants to fight. i also joined a local group. it’s time to do this poo poo like im a medieval dude who doesn’t even have time to understand the game rules before they die

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

watho

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

is this finally gonna be the push for me to start playing chess again?

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/BigClutteredJoey-mobile.mp4
thank u vanisher for the sig
and thank u nesamdoom for the good loops

baka of lathspell

ugh bp mopped the floor with me :/

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

baka of lathspell

o my apologies I thought I’d surrendered already

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

beer pal

some good stuff in there tho like defending my sneaky checkmate in the early game and finding the skewer on my queen + rook

baka of lathspell

beer pal posted:

some good stuff in there tho like defending my sneaky checkmate in the early game and finding the skewer on my queen + rook

:)

I won’t give up

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

Quadramind

gently caress, how do you rez King again?

baka of lathspell

Quadramind posted:

gently caress, how do you rez King again?

i don’t know what that is but if your king is unfortunately dead any old necromancy spell will do the trick

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

your friend sk

(ヤイケス!)

oh hyeah i'm simplyzalp on lichess. you can all send me challenges but usually i do correspondence games unless we want to pick a time first

Join the BYOB Army

beer pal

if u enter the cheat code at the right time u can promote your pawn to a king

Quadramind

baka fwocka fwame posted:

i don’t know what that is but if your king is unfortunately dead any old necromancy spell will do the trick

It's been so long, I can't remember any spells. So he's dead then? I forgot to save.

Quadramind

I am also a correspondence player, cos my brain won't work for consecutive moments.

your friend sk

(ヤイケス!)

Quadramind posted:

It's been so long, I can't remember any spells. So he's dead then? I forgot to save.

you should have an autosave at move 1

baka of lathspell

I also found this: https://youtu.be/QP6h0XXLedg

let’s all strive to be as good as her imo. no big deal i think

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae
I have an app called Dr. Wolf that teaches chess, and I believe is chess.com's making.

https://i.imgur.com/9jTkSUL.mp4
Thanks to vanisher for the paradise sig! :)

Manifisto

I don't know much about chess, but I do know that after a single night in bangkok, the world's your oyster!

ty nesamdoom!

baka of lathspell

Viginti Septem posted:

I have an app called Dr. Wolf that teaches chess, and I believe is chess.com's making.

2 late i now know chess dot com is corporate propaganda. I was running through some practice puzzles on lichess tho

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

baka of lathspell

ah gently caress I got whipped just now in the worst game anyones ever played. I’m gonna try to get more games in 2day tho gj quadramind I fell for the ol uh ultra queen pawn push bishop combo

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

Quadramind

The first of many games, I hope! Have a look at aiming to control the centre. It's always a good place to start. It's not the only way to play, but it's safe enough to get you into mid game.

baka of lathspell

gotcha gotcha

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

Nosfereefer

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
black knight, b4, with a candle stick

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

baka of lathspell

Nosfereefer posted:

black knight, b4, with a candle stick

black knight takes tower

Gordon: you’ve gone too far this time Batman. you didn’t have to kill bane

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka of lathspell

man this poo poo is tight. u click ur game and it tells u it was a grob opening or borg defence

I can already tell the point of this game is to stack up crazy Russian and Italian names let’s goooooo

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)