Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

your friend sk

(ヤイケス!)

rear end-penny posted:

do you know how to access this tutorial? I know how the pieces move but when I learned chess I was young and def never learned any concepts or theory. I was mucking about with the app looking for this and haven't seen anything.

https://lichess.org/practice

Join the BYOB Army

thank you again Saoshyant!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka of lathspell

rear end-penny posted:

bff did you resign? lichess basically won't let me look at our game anymore. I thought I was going to see some dope analytics or something but it's as if that slog fest didn't happen?

I'm on lichess as gunk_nugget if someone else wants to play a game against a dummy who will make mistakes and lose.

oh poo poo I did resign thought I messaged you to convey that. my bad dude I played myself

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

Ass-penny

I was wondering when you were going to leverage your other rook. I saw you sent me some messages but I wasn't able to bring them up before our entire game disappeared into the ether

thank you so much to nesamdoom for the scurry fall sig!

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut

baka of lathspell

rear end-penny posted:

I was wondering when you were going to leverage your other rook. I saw you sent me some messages but I wasn't able to bring them up before our entire game disappeared into the ether

yee if u ever wanna play again just hit the button. fun game :)

sorry I did that lol I didn’t mean to

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

Ass-penny

baka fwocka fwame posted:

yee if u ever wanna play again just hit the button. fun game :)

sorry I did that lol I didn’t mean to

what button? Seriously there's a lot happening on this app and very little of it means anything to me. I'm worried I'm going to mess up some actual chess nerd's day by clicking the wrong things

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut

Ass-penny

like what is this grid with bullet/blitz/classical written all over it?

beer pal

those are for matchmaking with various time controls. if u click one of those youll be matched with a random stranger. the numbers are the time and the increment, for example 5+3 means 5 minute starting clock, and u gain back 3 seconds every time u make a move

https://i.imgur.com/xQxnooW.png

Ass-penny

that sounds like a nightmare. I don't like stranger or time increments. matchmaking? is this ok cupid? sorry now I'm being intentionally dense. chess is intimidating as gently caress tho

baka of lathspell

rear end-penny posted:

that sounds like a nightmare. I don't like stranger or time increments. matchmaking? is this ok cupid? sorry now I'm being intentionally dense. chess is intimidating as gently caress tho

it’s scary but that’s because we’re in our getting whomped phase. soon it will be our turn to whomp

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

baka of lathspell

after a hard fought and totally equinamious game i daringly proposed a draw and bp daringly accepted

don’t believe me? all in the numbers

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

baka of lathspell

I’m sorry I’ve been zoney on games today

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

Quadramind

Every time I play with you, I imagine heavy metal

baka of lathspell

Quadramind posted:

Every time I play with you, I imagine heavy metal

I’m always listening to music now but truth is I’m finally coming out of my shell post lock Orr somethin and I’ve been talking to a lot of people & instantly went outside today when it was nice

i think chess really helped with this. I’m always around for a game if you don’t mind me zoning and median misplaying which I don’t think anyone really does here. I have all sorts of social chess engagements now Ty chess

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

Ass-penny

lol I tried clicking your link on my phone, which just opened the lichess app and then did nothing. I booted up my laptop tho and it seems ok. I'm just doing the basic checkmate practices, and it moves to the next one as soon as I get mate, which is obnoxious if I didn't actually realise the move I was making was for checkmate. I really wanted to look at that boardstate and get it better, is there anyway to bring it back? it's just like I can't look at the game I played with bff. which if you wanted a rematch I would do it, tho I haven't played since that game and it sounds like you are actually practicing

Ass-penny

I decided to do some of the more basic exercises lmao I am bad at this

baka of lathspell

i can play u I’ll send a challenge

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

baka of lathspell

in 2 minutes when the server resets lol

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

baka of lathspell

rear end-penny posted:

lol I tried clicking your link on my phone, which just opened the lichess app and then did nothing. I booted up my laptop tho and it seems ok. I'm just doing the basic checkmate practices, and it moves to the next one as soon as I get mate, which is obnoxious if I didn't actually realise the move I was making was for checkmate. I really wanted to look at that boardstate and get it better, is there anyway to bring it back? it's just like I can't look at the game I played with bff. which if you wanted a rematch I would do it, tho I haven't played since that game and it sounds like you are actually practicing

oh but to more fully address this that’s weird. i can fully scope all my past games. i wonder what’s up

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

Ass-penny

in 2 minutes when the server resets lol

oh is the server trying to reset? at the bottom of my tutorial page on my laptop it kept giving me a time til reset and I just kept closing the banner and stalling it lmao

I also did eventually notice that there's a toggle during the lessons to autoload the next lesson and I just flipped it off.

Quadramind

With the android app, to see finished games just tap the top left menu button, then tap your username, and then games. Took me a minute to find that as well.

Ass-penny

Quadramind posted:

With the android app, to see finished games just tap the top left menu button, then tap your username, and then games. Took me a minute to find that as well.

hey thanks for the tip!

Stoner Sloth

:hellyeah:

Quadramind

rear end penny, you almost had me, you dog.

Quadramind

I said I was going to go aggressive, but I went stupid and I got away with it.

baka of lathspell

me and ap are enjoying a nimzowitch defense with a side order of Kennedy variation and lincoln something :911:

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

baka of lathspell

setting off premoves on lichess dings yr dopamine brain as if it were possible to send an unread text message to yrself

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

Ass-penny

Quadramind posted:

rear end penny, you almost had me, you dog.

lol I don't know if I'd go that far

ClamdestineBoyster
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Barco Fiesta posted:

i like to eat the pieces

That really makes it a lot easier to win. :hmmyes:

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Quadramind

rear end-penny posted:

lol I don't know if I'd go that far

Buddy, you'd go all the way to the moon

Ass-penny

you will notice I briefly had a strong mid game, and a precipitous fall from grace. there were several times I considered resigning but I wanted to see it through. the chart makes me feel like I should have resigned as soon as I started feeling the pressure.

baka of lathspell

charts are dicks don’t trust them there’s never really a point when you “should” resign - a big resigner

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

Quadramind

Especially playing against me. I blunder like crazy, plus end games simplify the board a tonne, which is important for learning, because it reduces the amount of calculations you need to do figure out the best move.

Lots of folks will resign as soon as they are at a significant disadvantage, but that presumes your opponent will play perfectly to keep that advantage. That is not a guarantee at all at this level. Yeah, it's seen as the good manners to resign in competition, but we're all learning.

Quadramind

You can see there that I blundered again right after the tide turned.

It's lovely to be back playing every day, stretching the auld brain and not taking it too seriously.

Thanks, chess pals

Ass-penny

we tied for three blunders but you made zero mistakes to my one. however this thing calculates that I do not know

Quadramind

They send a pc to college and it gets a big degree, then it looks at the game and goes mmmmmmm, I reckon it were this way rather'n that'n, and smokes a little computer pipe.

baka of lathspell

is someone playing sk? someone play sk. someone play everyone

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

Ass-penny

I don't really know how to challenge folks. someone can play me here I think https://lichess.org/oTACF5tk

your friend sk

(ヤイケス!)

is someone playing sk? someone play sk. someone play everyone

I sent you a rematch but you ignored it..................

Join the BYOB Army

Ass-penny

sk if you click that link I will play you :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

your friend sk

(ヤイケス!)

big news everyone, someone made up new pieces

https://www.modernchess.com/

Join the BYOB Army