Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

800,000 man hours

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kumquat
Oct 8, 2010
just throw a rug over it and sell the company OP

Menacer
Nov 25, 2000
Failed Sega Accessory Ahoy!
what if it is a reverse technical mortgage, where we took on the tech debt until someone dies. and then it becomes someone else's problem

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

here's a crazy thought, but what if i kick the can down the road again and then leave and make it someone else's problem?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
now i am become the puTTY patrol

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

its good and all but we did promise this feature would be ready by the end of the month to land our new client

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Kumquat posted:

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Kumquat posted:

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Kumquat posted:

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

Sweevo posted:

here's a crazy thought, but what if i kick the can down the road again and then leave and make it someone else's problem?

pro as gently caress

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

i don't work here anymore

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
Hi I'm here to consult on migrating to a new system architecture from your current tech stack based on, I don't think I'm reading this correctly, Macromedia Flash?

olorum
Apr 24, 2021

Look we're rewriting this service next quarter so don't worry about tech debt, this whole trash pile will be gone soon anyway.

(5 years later: old service is still in use)

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Kumquat posted:

thats why youre the boss

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
writing an email to my management chain reminding them how I said this would become a bigger problem until we can’t make any changes, and guess what, here we are. please see my attached quoted emails telling you this was coming every quarter for the last few years.

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder
2023 ipx user has logged on. novell netware will never die!

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
jokes on you that's when I find a new job dealing with someone elses 800000 tech debt bill and I don't have to take responsibility for subsequent fuckups because I didn't gently caress it up originally

:smugdog: It's the perfect crime

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

The Management posted:

writing an email to my management chain reminding them how I said this would become a bigger problem until we can’t make any changes, and guess what, here we are. please see my attached quoted emails telling you this was coming every quarter for the last few years.

ur fired

animist
Aug 28, 2018
why do we even have a stored proc that drops half the database

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
it's safer than dropping half the database manually

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

lol you can’t fire me. nobody else on the team knows all the necessary steps needed to modify <critical component> without blowing everything up.

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

I'm going to get a different job instead

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

The Management posted:

lol you can’t fire me. nobody else on the team knows all the necessary steps needed to modify <critical component> without blowing everything up.

which is why you are now a junior dev ops with 4 days a week in office

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

fine. glad this isnt my problem anymore. byeeee

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

i dont even really work here :shrug:

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
paying back technical debt by writing a script that goes through the codebase and erases all //TODO:

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
             Blech Debt
                  /

rotor fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jan 21, 2023

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Asleep Style posted:

I'm going to get a different job instead

better hope it's greenfield or else you're just going get someone's sloppy seconds tech debt

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
tech debt that isnt yours is better than tech debt that you made cause at least you can just bitch about whatever dumb rear end in a top hat made these stupid loving decisions while someone else in another company does the same thing about all the decisions you made.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
this pile of poo poo I’m looking at was written by apes or early hominids at best given the level of design applied.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

rotor posted:

tech debt that isnt yours is better than tech debt that you made cause at least you can just bitch about whatever dumb rear end in a top hat made these stupid loving decisions while someone else in another company does the same thing about all the decisions you made.

yeah but i do that with my own tech debt anyway so

Modulo16
Feb 12, 2014

"Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth."

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

paying back technical debt by writing a script that goes through the codebase and erases all //TODO:

this guy just closed 105,000 todos and he made the code base 105,000 lines smaller with the same functionality!

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
my predecessors did not try their best and did not have the best of intentions

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

i dont pay real bills im sure not payin this one

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
code:
/// <summary>
/// This place is a message... and part of a system of messages... pay attention to it!
/// Sending this message was important to us. We considered ourselves to be a powerful culture.
/// This place is not a place of honor... no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here... nothing valued is here.
/// What is here was dangerous and repulsive to us. This message is a warning about danger.
/// The danger is in a particular location... it increases towards a center... the center of danger is here... of a particular size and shape, and below us.
/// The danger is still present, in your time, as it was in ours.
/// The danger is to the body, and it can kill.
/// The form of the danger is an emanation of energy.
/// The danger is unleashed only if you substantially disturb this place physically. This place is best shunned and left uninhabited.
///</summary>

InternetOfTwinks fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Jan 21, 2023

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
Load bearing php5 script

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
I would simply pay off the technical debt.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

refinance your tech debt: migrate to micro services! already have micro services? migrate to monolith!

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
Mono repo

What is that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

InternetOfTwinks posted:

code:
/// <summary>
/// This place is a message... and part of a system of messages... pay attention to it!
/// Sending this message was important to us. We considered ourselves to be a powerful culture.
/// This place is not a place of honor... no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here... nothing valued is here.
/// What is here was dangerous and repulsive to us. This message is a warning about danger.
/// The danger is in a particular location... it increases towards a center... the center of danger is here... of a particular size and shape, and below us.
/// The danger is still present, in your time, as it was in ours.
/// The danger is to the body, and it can kill.
/// The form of the danger is an emanation of energy.
/// The danger is unleashed only if you substantially disturb this place physically. This place is best shunned and left uninhabited.
///</summary>