Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I didn’t know why Legato was a true believer but I did like that he essentially “won” in his encounter with Vash in the original anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

PringleCreamEgg posted:

I didn’t know why Legato was a true believer but I did like that he essentially “won” in his encounter with Vash in the original anime.

In the 98' anime he was the real end game villain and he did "win" essentially. It made the final fight with Knives really lack the punch it needed since he got more development and build up. I'll also point out however he was a lot colder and calmer in the early anime whereas he was a creepy fanatic in the manga who even bullied his fellow cult members.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Flopsy posted:

In the 98' anime he was the real end game villain and he did "win" essentially. It made the final fight with Knives really lack the punch it needed since he got more development and build up. I'll also point out however he was a lot colder and calmer in the early anime whereas he was a creepy fanatic in the manga who even bullied his fellow cult members.

My GF read Trigun a long time ago and said it was genuinely unnerving what Knives did to Legato.

Legato is not a well man, that much is clear from the anime, but he isn't some composed, philosophical nihilist in the manga I'm told. He's still just an abuse victim.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

My critique of Legato is mostly in the visual portrayal. There's some weird fetishistic stuff after he gets maimed and his flashback has a "look how edgy I am" vibe (not helped by the part where female Zazie pulls out the bug, nor by its proximity to the end of the manga).

It also falls back into some pretty worn "raped as a boy by men and now evil" tropes. Even if it's understandable that he'd wind up broken and a huge bully, it's still tired. Too little, too late IMO.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
I'll just say I think there's definitely a way to preserve the writing while navigating it in ways that makes it more potent instead of whatever the gently caress was going on with his coffin and poo poo most of the time. I don't think the answer is erasure of those themes, but trying to dive into the psychological aspect of it with a more serious attitude. The notion that he's a victim of intense abuse and it has made him a terrible person, yet he's still in the conversation of deserving to be offered relief and absolution would be quite powerful. Whether or not it's tropey is secondary to the potential the writing has for displaying maturity through navigating something that challenging.

This is really just my wishful thinking though, because I don't expect it to fall in the scope and tone of what Stampede is going for. But I'd love to be positively surprised.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Nina posted:

I'll just say I think there's definitely a way to preserve the writing while navigating it in ways that makes it more potent instead of whatever the gently caress was going on with his coffin and poo poo most of the time. I don't think the answer is erasure of those themes, but trying to dive into the psychological aspect of it with a more serious attitude. The notion that he's a victim of intense abuse and it has made him a terrible person, yet he's still in the conversation of deserving to be offered relief and absolution would be quite powerful. Whether or not it's tropey is secondary to the potential the writing has for displaying maturity through navigating something that challenging.

This is really just my wishful thinking though, because I don't expect it to fall in the scope and tone of what Stampede is going for. But I'd love to be positively surprised.

This is the way. But I have no faith we'll get intelligent examination of that sort of thing rather than a: Look how much more edge this guy has got! And now he's cuh-cuh-CRAZY because of it!

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Nina posted:

Maybe some of it could be done via a stylized flashback equivalent to what we got with Wolfwood and Livio, but I'm not expecting it.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Maera Sior posted:

Maybe some of it could be done via a stylized flashback equivalent to what we got with Wolfwood and Livio, but I'm not expecting it.

I'd like to add it disturbs me the emphasis on how sexual abuse as a child has seemingly made Legato worse than every other character in the manga. I know this was written in the 90's and emotional sensitivity toward that sort of thing wasn't exactly the norm but I'm kinda iffy on how exactly it'll be addressed if ever in Stampede. Like Elendira was made intersex instead of trans so I really don't know where they'll be going with this.

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006
Upon re-inspection, Wolfwood being an even shittier priest did make me smile.

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006
He's like strip mall church next to a liquor store bad.

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006
Sorry for 3 posting, but are Wyrms supposed to have multiple forms in Stampede or is it just that one episode?

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006
Last post: I was looking for the show to play the same way, and it didn't, that's absolutely my bad.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

KORNOLOGY posted:

Sorry for 3 posting, but are Wyrms supposed to have multiple forms in Stampede or is it just that one episode?

I think they're stages of age/development with Grand worms being the oldest.

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006

Flopsy posted:

I think they're stages of age/development with Grand worms being the oldest.

I just want a 3D Tremors episode.

DNA Cowboys
Feb 22, 2012

BOYS I KNOW
An Interview With the Author Whose Novel Is Rocketing up the Amazon Charts Thanks to a Tweet From Someone Called “Bigolas Dickolas”.

This is How You Lose the Time War is a good read, but I didn't expect it to explode in popularity after several years thanks to a Trigun fan account. It's at the point now where people commenting on the surprise explosion are driving it even further.

quote:

Did you try to figure out who Bigolas Dickolas was?

Amal El-Mohtar: Yes! I took a look at his profile. Is he a celebrity? A popular TikTok account? I am insufficiently attuned to the youth, so I couldn’t figure it out. It’s a Trigun fan account; that’s an anime that was popular in the ’90s and was recently rebooted. That’s cool—I like anime, though I haven’t tried this one.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The producer of the anime bought the book.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

DNA Cowboys posted:

An Interview With the Author Whose Novel Is Rocketing up the Amazon Charts Thanks to a Tweet From Someone Called “Bigolas Dickolas”.

This is How You Lose the Time War is a good read, but I didn't expect it to explode in popularity after several years thanks to a Trigun fan account. It's at the point now where people commenting on the surprise explosion are driving it even further.

If Bigolas Dickolas gets us a fully funded season two and three through pure viral tweeting I am going to lose my entire poo poo.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

Only further proving he's following more than one yaoi account God bless him.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Flopsy posted:

If Bigolas Dickolas gets us a fully funded season two and three through pure viral tweeting I am going to lose my entire poo poo.
I do not understand what is happening but I would be incomprehensibly grateful to bigolas dickolas

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Waffleman_ posted:

Time War anime when :tinfoil:

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

TenementFunster posted:

I do not understand what is happening but I would be incomprehensibly grateful to bigolas dickolas

Short answer is they're a Vashwood fan account on twitter who made an incredibly unhinged recommendation for their favorite book, it went viral, sales spiked and the authors themselves came out to thank them. They're currently a minor celebrity who's using their clout to advocate for Trigun across the media.

If they do in fact manage to get more attention and money for the series it will be the most insanely serendipitous thing I've ever seen.

here's one of their interviews:

https://www.insider.com/bigolas-dickolas-wolfwood-trigun-interview-time-war-2023-5?amp

Flopsy fucked around with this message at 09:05 on May 12, 2023

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Flopsy posted:

Short answer is they're a Vashwood fan account on twitter who made an incredibly unhinged recommendation for their favorite book, it went viral, sales spiked and the authors themselves came out to thank them. They're currently a minor celebrity who's using their clout to advocate for Trigun across the media.

If they do in fact manage to get more attention and money for the series it will be the most insanely serendipitous thing I've ever seen.

here's one of their interviews:

https://www.insider.com/bigolas-dickolas-wolfwood-trigun-interview-time-war-2023-5?amp
friend,
https://twitter.com/tithenai/status/1655613826572726291

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Ah. Sometimes I am genuinely that dense but thank you for your patience.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

monev the gale in the original show is such a good episode of anime

not related to anything happening in this thread lately i just saw it recently and wanted to say it

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I assume we still don't know when Stampede's coming back for round 2 yet do we (I'm pretty sure a second season was at least confirmed a while back at any rate)?

In any case I'll be curious to see how they handle Milly considering they're bringing her in at the halfway point instead of her just being around from the start like in the manga/OG anime

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Meryl spent this first season turning into the cynical but still well meaning individual she is at the start of the original show so that Milly can take Meryl's old place as the idealist.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of, was Milly’s relationship with Wolfwood canon to the manga or just something the first anime made up?

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

From what I remember it's mostly something the anime made up. The girls kind disappear for a solid stretch of the manga, so there's not really a whole lot of interactions between them as there is in the anime.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Another change for the better in the anime IMO

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

To be fair, when the first anime came out, there wasn't much of the manga to adapt. I think Maximum was only a few chapters in at that point, I don't even think 2nd July had happened yet.

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006
Milfwood gave us one of the coolest shots in the series

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also since Stampede isn’t a 1:1 adaption there’s at least a chance we’ll get some more interactions in the second half as well

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

I went back and Maximum actually starts with the Ericks storyline so, just about when this ends. A whole lot of it is different from that point on, the anime starting airing April 1st, Maximum started publication in October of the previous year. So they probably just knew about the moon blowing up and Ericks and had to plot a lot of it out from there on their own.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Robviously posted:

I went back and Maximum actually starts with the Ericks storyline so, just about when this ends. A whole lot of it is different from that point on, the anime starting airing April 1st, Maximum started publication in October of the previous year. So they probably just knew about the moon blowing up and Ericks and had to plot a lot of it out from there on their own.

Given how pieces of the first anime are reflected in certain elements later in the manga, it seems like Nightow threw them more than a few story beats and characters designs.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of, how much involvement did Nightow have in both animes (assuming he’s still alive)?

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Yeah, it's abundantly clear that he had very specific story beats and character designs in mind that he helped the anime with. He's also very involved in the new anime from what I gather. Oddly enough, I think Knives is probably the character that he knew the least of what he actually wanted to do with. I am also sad that we didn't get Rai-Dei's sweet rear end skates in the og anime.

He's also still putting out Blood Blockade Battlefront, I think.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Dark Horse is releasing a deluxe hardcover version of Trigun and Trigun Maximum. The first book (all of Trigun) will drop in December. Link in case the news gets updated.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Congratulations to Bigolas Dickolas

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

Congratulations to Bigolas Dickolas

LOL

https://twitter.com/maskofbun/status/1658544392716816384?cxt=HHwWgMDQwc_VqoQuAAAA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King