Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

tsob posted:

Is he involved in this anime adaption though? I went to look up what he's done since Trigun ended, and was reminded about both his work in Gungrave and that he did Blood Blockade Battlefront, which I thought was fun for the one season I saw of it. I just found out there's a second season, and should check out the manga at some point; I bounced off the Trigun manga because I had problems processing his art though, so I wonder if the Blood Blockade Battlefront manga will be the same. There's something about his art and layouts that left me with difficulty parsing the action a lot of the time.

In an interview he said that he's involved with the script for this new anime.

quote:

In the trailer, there's a moment where Vash says, “I will never kill again.” This is referencing his commitment to pacifism in the face of violence, which is what his brother Knives tries to push him towards. For Nightow, why was it important to include that phrase?

Nightow: I'm actually not involved in creating the trailer itself, but of course I'm involved in the development of the script. If there's any discrepancies, I'll comment on them. That was my involvement for when they were developing the script for the trailer. Because we worked together on the finished script that they use to make the trailer, there won't be any discrepancies. However, I didn't pick that phrase specifically to be used in the trailer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I'd assume if he was around that they'd have consulted him on things beyond the script in that case, but that he wasn't actually a creative lead in designs or decisions re: gun stuff.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Arc Hammer posted:

Nightow just isn't very good at panel composition. He's got great artistic sense design-wise but when it comes to laying out all the elements on the page it gets a bit too muddled.

Ah, the Oh! Great school of art

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Arc Hammer posted:

Nightow just isn't very good at panel composition. He's got great artistic sense design-wise but when it comes to laying out all the elements on the page it gets a bit too muddled.
I basically remember 2 things about Trigun Maximum: 1) the overall idea of what was going on was really cool. 2) It was really hard to follow the details from panel to panel.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Orange is just flexing so hard on the animation and I can't wait for them to go back to Land of the Lustrous and go full ham with Phos

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Episode good, Vash good, Meryl good, Roberto good too.

Still missing tall lady Milly, but I'm locked in. Let's go watch a Trigun.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Shinjobi posted:

Episode good, Vash good, Meryl good, Roberto good too.

Still missing tall lady Milly, but I'm locked in. Let's go watch a Trigun.

I’m still holding out hope that Milly will pop up at some point but Roberto’s better than I expected him to be (also I know this version is more canon to the manga but I liked Meryl better as an insurance agent to be honest)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://i.imgur.com/WmtLeds.mp4

Really liked this bit.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

This animation is better than the cg on major blockbuster movies that have like $300 million budgets.

It;s bonkers. Studio Orange must have amazing talent, great communication, and a great pipeline.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

They're like one of three studios in Japan that really gets CG.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Marza Animation Planet being the second and the third being???

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I'd say Sanzigen (though they're mostly a supplemental CG studio and I don't think have done many if any full CG productions) or maybe Kamikaze Douga.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Xelkelvos posted:

Orange is just flexing so hard on the animation and I can't wait for them to go back to Land of the Lustrous and go full ham with Phos

I'm also hoping for a Season 2 of Land of the Lustrous theres so much

New Trigun is promising and I'm really intrigued with how the story is gonna go.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
Been replaying the flashback to Millions Knives after the ships crashed and him playing the piano. Really good song. Can't wait to download.

Oh yeah, the episode looked amazing and I eagerly await the next episode

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i appreciate that vash's gun in this version is a goofy rear end joke gun that would be completely useless for anyone else.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Okay after seeing some clips, I will absolutely watch this now because I was not expecting this show to look this good.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Wish they kept some of the mystery surrounding Vash and Knives, but overall I liked this and I'm willing to keep going with it. Animation was a lot better than I was expecting and I'm super happy with how it looked.

Trigun is my favorite show of all time, so I'm trying not to judge this for just not being that, even if some of subtle world building is one of the things I loved about it vs. this show being very blatant about everything. I had fun.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

Wish they kept some of the mystery surrounding Vash and Knives, but overall I liked this and I'm willing to keep going with it. Animation was a lot better than I was expecting and I'm super happy with how it looked.

I'd say there's still plenty of mystery around them in this adaptation since the opening only gave a slice of their origin, and even putting aside questions on the SEED fleet and what happened to it, you still have the mystery of why a pacifist like Vash is a wanted man with a huge bounty seen as a walking disaster by the authorities and no indication of why Vash wants to find Knives or vice versa. Or what caused a rift in their relationship.

All this really did was start the exploration of that a lot earlier, not dump it all in one go right at the start.

tsob fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Jan 9, 2023

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Come to think of it I forget, did the original anime and/or manga ever explain how Vash became a wanted man despite being a pacifist?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
He got pinned as being responsible for wiping a city off the map.

knives caused vash to fuse with (special) guns to make giant laser arms and pulled the trigger

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

tsob posted:

I'd say there's still plenty of mystery around them in this adaptation since the opening only gave a slice of their origin, and even putting aside questions on the SEED fleet and what happened to it, you still have the mystery of why a pacifist like Vash is a wanted man with a huge bounty seen as a walking disaster by the authorities and no indication of why Vash wants to find Knives or vice versa. Or what caused a rift in their relationship.

All this really did was start the exploration of that a lot earlier, not dump it all in one go right at the start.

No, you're right about that. I guess just the idea of how long Vash has been around and the nature of the world they're in were more what I was referring to. But I'm excited to see how this one unfolds.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Phone posted:

He got pinned as being responsible for wiping a city off the map.

knives caused vash to fuse with (special) guns to make giant laser arms and pulled the trigger

Ah yes, I remember now

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

Trigun is my favorite show of all time, so I'm trying not to judge this for just not being that, even if some of subtle world building is one of the things I loved about it vs. this show being very blatant about everything. I had fun.

The original trigun had 26 episodes to let the plot breathe a little so it was ok for them to get to episode 5/6 to establish who Vash is as a person and that he has a relationship with the plants, and episode 16 before any mention of knives. This adaptation is presumably going to focus more on that central conflict between the two - which makes sense if this is only one season

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
One season or one cour?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Arc Hammer posted:

One season or one cour?

Same thing

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I will never call it a cour

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Why do they refer to anime seasons as “cours” anyway?

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

cor blimey

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
How can we know if we're talking about anime if we don't use a specific set of terminologies.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Arc Hammer posted:

How can we know if we're talking about anime if we don't use a specific set of terminologies.

Ah, so it’s like “anime” itself then (a Japanese term used to describe something we already have an English word for)

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Arc Hammer posted:

Context

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Namtab posted:

I will never call it a cour

That's correct

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

I know people who use context and those people are cowards.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Anyway my point is that if this is whatever you want to call 13 episodes (and I can’t see any evidence that it is any longer) then it makes sense for them to explore the story between vash and the central antagonist with a bit more urgency

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Namtab posted:

Anyway my point is that if this is whatever you want to call 13 episodes (and I can’t see any evidence that it is any longer) then it makes sense for them to explore the story between vash and the central antagonist with a bit more urgency

Fair enough, I get that. If they use 13 episodes to their best extent I've got little problem with them pushing the central plot early. I'll wait and see how well they pull it off though before I start making any judgements on overall quality against the 90s show.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Larryb posted:

Why do they refer to anime seasons as “cours” anyway?

because when japanese takes a loanword from a european language it's not always the same language for every loanword

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I think we already know this is gonna be a split cour, so about the same length as the 90s anime.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Waffleman_ posted:

I think we already know this is gonna be a split cour, so about the same length as the 90s anime.

In that case it'll be interesting if they go full steam ahead with the plot and go for something closer to the original ending than what the 90s show did.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Mister Olympus posted:

because when japanese takes a loanword from a european language it's not always the same language for every loanword

I imagine that's true of most languages. Or at least, most languages within societies that regularly interact with multiple other languages themselves. It's certainly true of English, which has loanwords from a whole loving slew of languages, with a lot of common words used in English for literal centuries at this point being based on French, German, Latin, Greek and more.

Arc Hammer posted:

In that case it'll be interesting if they go full steam ahead with the plot and go for something closer to the original ending than what the 90s show did.

Did the original show make up it's own ending, or actually cover all of the original manga? Is there a difference between Trigun and Trigun: Maximum at that? Did Trigun: Maximum just restart it, or pick up where Trigun left off? Or did the original show cover both because the original Trigun is so short?

tsob fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jan 9, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Spoilers without too much detail but the anime and manga end differently. In the anime, Knives doesn't die, it's implied in the manga that he does eventually die.